250W DE has the same intensity as 400W SE?

AlfaRomeo

250w and 400w are two very different animals. ;)

DE vs SE - the debate still rages but it does seem that SE bulbs do produce dangerous amounts of UV that is extremely damaging to corals and livestock without the UV shield.

Hon has DE bulbs that seems to be burning his SPS corals even with the UV shield on. I think there must be something strangely wrong with his UV glass shield.

• SRC Member
250w and 400w are two very different animals. ;)

DE vs SE - the debate still rages but it does seem that SE bulbs do produce dangerous amounts of UV that is extremely damaging to corals and livestock without the UV shield.

Hon has SE bulbs that seems to be burning his SPS corals even with the UV shield on. I think there must be something strangely wrong with his UV glass shield.

AT, you sure those are SE?

and tis not advisable to run them without the UV shield rite? but isnt it documented somewhere that UV will cause the SPS corals to develop colorful pigments? just need to wear lead shielding whenever we are the tank only. hehehehe

Too much and you will see tissue fly off the coral skeleton.... ;)

Ever heard of an instant meltdown? :D

Robe, our senior reefer, once told us he removed his UV shield when he ran DE bulbs for only about 15 to 20 minutes and his corals bleached instantly/melted.

• SRC Member

Well...My "branded" glass shield dun seem to block the UV well for my 250w DE. Much of my acro are sun burnt to the core and died. After moving the bulb 14inch away from the water surface, its seem to help....

But then, a new LCK acro at mid tank just got its tips burnt off again :wacko:

• SRC Member

The intensity of 400W SE is more than 250W DE.

But the thing is, just because there is more intensity does not necessarily mean that more "light" is getting into your tank. The light output is spread around a 360 degree circle, and you need a good reflector to direct the light going upwards DOWNWARDS to your tank. So the differance between a good reflector and no reflector at all can mean a 100% differance in the amount of light getting into the tank.

A DE bulb is much more compact compared to a SE bulb, so it is easier to build reflectors that maximize the amount of light directed into the tank.

Furthermore, DE bulbs are almost always identical in that the center of the plasma chamber is always in the same location vis-a-vis the DE holders. So the reflector designer know exactly where to place the reflector to maximize the amount of light getting into the tank. This is the reason why you see branded commercial DE pendants, but hardly any branded commercial SE pendants.

With the SE bulbs, the center of the plasma reaction chamber is located differently in different brands of bulbs. Hence, SE users have to make do with building their own pendants, and getting their own reflectors, and trying to be as effiecient as possible in reflecting the light into the tank.

There was an article in Advanced Aqualist by Richard Harker that compared the light getting into the tank as between factory-build commerical DE pendants vs. SE reflectors (i.e, Spiderlights). Generally, he found that DE reflectors directed more light into the tank such that a 250W DE bulb is roughly equivalent to a 400W SE bulb.

There a some very good SE reflectors that reflects as well as the DE reflectors, but I dont believe they are available here in Singapore.

So the difference is really the DE reflector, not the bulbs themselves.

BTW, I use the AB DE pendant set, and so far had no problems after 4+ years of use.