Is there such a thing as red algae?

ervine

• SRC Member

Hi guys,

I've been battling green hair algae for some time now and I'm FINALLY winning the battle... however, some of my rocks have been encrusted by some other type of bushy algae or some sorts, it's redish in colour, thin branching like clumps much like a bush of some sorts...

Any idea what it is and how I can deal with it (if it is meant to be dealt with)?

Sorry no pics coz my cam is back in my hostel....

Thanks a lot,

Ervine Lin

• SRC Member

Is it cyano? I thought cyano is red and slimy. This one is red too but it is hairly. My FOWLR tank is overgrown with this red hair too. I am not too bothered because the coverage is rather consistent and it looks kind of ok (at least to me) that is why I did not remove them. Anyway some parts of the LR are slowly overgrowing with coraline algae.

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member
Tested phosphate or nitrate?Maybe you might want to share what are the readings now....

Nitrates hover around 5mg/l, salifert...

Phosphates untested but running contraphos...

Salinity ~1.025

Temp 26-28 depending on time of day

Ca ~460

kH ~8

pH ~8.2

BTW, I tried pulling out the algae but it's VERY stubborn and impossible to pull out every strand...

• SRC Member

I don't know much about preventing algae growth but I have a similar problem until I shut down and upgrade my lights. I am quite sure it will come back - only way is to ensure water quality to prevent an outbreak.

No use pulling it out, u may want to crop it temporarily - best if you could remove the affected rock and deal with it outside the tank.

Do update us when you have successfully overcome the prob.