!!!BLACKIE!!!!

dodo

• SRC Member

polyfilter never turn black b4...when i said black....it is pure black....not brown...brown is normal.... i know....but it is like those black fountain pen ink....can u visualised that.

I change my polyfilter every 3mths....it is jus 1mth+ ago i last change my polyfilter.

I dun wash my floss....i changed them just like the polyfilter....every 3mth...1mth+ ago i last change my filter :(

• SRC Member

nothing die(i hope when i go home tonite):unsure:

corals as usual....fishes still rushes to the surface to anticipate me feeding them the moment they see me :(:blink:

haaaiiii....dun really know what's wrong :wacko::wacko::wacko:

it's real black....maciam mini oil spill in my marine tank :P (wonder any sunken tanker in my tank)

will need to do a partial water change this Saturday. Hopefully, my Majestic can withstand till then :rolleyes: cannot afford the time during weekdays*sigh* :(:(:(

Normally, my filter floss(cotton) are still white after one mth. Light Brown the 2nd mth. Dark Brown the 3rd-4th mth. One week change I think is highly not neccessary while the floss is still clean.(waste $ leh....economy no good u know) :P (abit kia-su)

• SRC Member

Below is from poly filter's website.

Isn't it contradicting ? Assuming its DARK means black ???

So to replace when brown or black ?

WHEN SHOULD YOU REPLACE YOUR POLY-FILTER ?

When the POLY-FILTER turns DARK in color, it is still operating effectively and does not have to be replaced. However, when it begins to turn brownish in color, it should be removed, discarded and immediately replaced with a new POLY-FILTER

• SRC Member

carbon is all the while there.....anyway.....carbon should not affect anything B)

1st-Carbon are not suppose to lose colour.

2nd-Carbon should be place below the mechanical filter(ie floss).

I am placing my floss on the top layer of my sump, followed my polyfilter.The next layer contain my carbon, phosguard, nitrate sponge and bioballs. My last layer is all my crushed corals chips.

All these problems only occur last 2 days :(

• SRC Member

Water parameters all seems ok....no test to the calcium level yet....dkh,ph,NO2,NO3 & NH3 all seems fine or within acceptable range.

Maybe tonite test again.....*sigh* :(:unsure:

Seldom have water problem except for high calcium :blink:

Come to think of it....maybe it's the calcium that turns toxic....now being flushed out onto my filter floss/polyfilter

• SRC Member

It might be heavy metal poisoning in the tank. Could be due to dust from construction site or almost anything. Whatever the case, do a large water change and run fresh carbon and another polyfilter, then monitor the tank closely.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

you maybe rite tanzy...dust from construction....rite now...there is some upgrading project at my block....but i really dun understand tat the floss can be pure black in colour :blink: ....large water change...mmmm :wacko: maybe will do a slightly more than normal water change...hopefully not heavy metal poisoning becos there is no way I can determine whether tis is true :unsure:

luckily my fishes all seems well and swimming as usual...corals open as usual :D

• SRC Member

The polyfilter might have absorbed most of the 'poison' that's why the animals aren't affected. It's best to replace it with a new one just in case.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

Dear All,

I found out wat contributes to my 'black' problem.

I thk AT is rite....something died and I did't notice :o:huh:

My huge blue tang 'mati' liao....maybe the black substance source comes from the dead fish :unsure:

Thank you for all your concern. :D

• SRC Member

I wonder how you miss the biggest fish in your tank and didn't know it's dead? :rolleyes:

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member

err....sorie everyone :unsure: i jus found my blue tang AGAIN....hehehehe :D

really tot tat it was dead in the first place :wub: probably hibernating last nite

phew....hence my record still stays intact :lol:

BUT :wacko: the big question still remain :-i still can't figure it out wat happen or rather wat causes my floss to turn black....guess i need to change my carbon,phosguard, floss and polyfilter tomolo and see wat color it urns to the following day :unsure: those media must be exhausted rite now

:( hopefully everything turns out fine eventually :PB):D:lol:

• SRC Member

You left the black polyfilter in the tank!!!! :o

Take it out and throw it away!

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member

:P dun worry man...poly filter changed,floss changed,carbon changed,phosguard changed

B) everything changed....every fishes in the tank seems like nothing has happen b4 leh....

;) was wondering could it be my big blue tang pass a big amt of shit that causes my floss to turn black...heavy eater man the blue tang

anyway....water parameters all ok after water change this afternoon :P:) will continue to moniter