Urgent! Please help!

Hi, I am very new in this hobby; I hope you guys can give me some advice to help me out.

recently I had bought some Live rock from pasir ris farm, I discover one of the rock were attach with some decay sea sponge, I ask the shop keeper, he told me is ok just remove it will do so I did what was told and after that I put those rock in to the tank with water that had condition for about a week. Next day the rock came alive with many thing craws out and other sponge are decay too the water is giving out a bad smell. What should I do now? Change water and throw away all the rock? Please advice.

post-14766-1213673772.jpg

post-14766-1213673666.jpg

Change the water. Take out the rock and remove the decay coral(brush or use water spray head) and soak in fresh water for few days(change water daily as the water is likely to stink). You may stop once the water is no longer giving off foul smell. It will kill off the "parasites". Want more effective elimination, please it under hot sun......hehe...but with all this method, ..yr live rock will become death rock.......

If you still want the rock to be alive, shortenthe fresh water dip and put back in saltwater. Or you can use coral dip method, using freahwater, iodine and put it back in a separate saltwater to cleanse the rock. ....

this will be what i will do...

other senior reefers might have better method.....

Hi, I am very new in this hobby; I hope you guys can give me some advice to help me out.

recently I had bought some Live rock from pasir ris farm, I discover one of the rock were attach with some decay sea sponge, I ask the shop keeper, he told me is ok just remove it will do so I did what was told and after that I put those rock in to the tank with water that had condition for about a week. Next day the rock came alive with many thing craws out and other sponge are decay too the water is giving out a bad smell. What should I do now? Change water and throw away all the rock? Please advice.

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

ya, also treat yr rocks before putting into your tank....if not...disaster will occur if it is housing many parasites.....if those so called cured, treated rocks may have unknown and illegal tenants.....best wishes for you

Change the water. Take out the rock and remove the decay coral(brush or use water spray head) and soak in fresh water for few days(change water daily as the water is likely to stink). You may stop once the water is no longer giving off foul smell. It will kill off the "parasites". Want more effective elimination, please it under hot sun......hehe...but with all this method, ..yr live rock will become death rock.......

If you still want the rock to be alive, shortenthe fresh water dip and put back in saltwater. Or you can use coral dip method, using freahwater, iodine and put it back in a separate saltwater to cleanse the rock. ....

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Algae Scrubbler

• SRC Member

What you are effectively doing is wasting money on liverocks. With all the freshwater treatment, you are better off buying dead dried rocks.

I would recommend just to change the tank water, forget about whatever freshwater dip. You end up killing the critters you paid for.

you worried the sand might be contaminated? Unlikely cos those parasites usually hide inside the rock. Nevertheless, it depends on you. If your tank is small and you are hardworking, then bring out and to rinse it. If there are live stocks, you might not consider a major wash as it will stress and sudden change in water parameter might kill them. Think there is always risk involved, the amount will depend on you, whether you willing to take the risk or be safe than sorry.....

hope my advice will help but it might not be the correct way as i am learning and newbie 2. If you can wait, maybe wait for the senior reefers to provide advice. : )

Thanks alot Solo77, how about sand?

Algae Scrubbler

Opss... think i might have given you wrong advice. sorry for that. Think follow senior advice will be better. It will be good to confirm your source when buying live rocks. This will avoid such incident. However, imo, not easy to confirm 100% cured rocks. :)

you worried the sand might be contaminated? Unlikely cos those parasites usually hide inside the rock. Nevertheless, it depends on you. If your tank is small and you are hardworking, then bring out and to rinse it. If there are live stocks, you might not consider a major wash as it will stress and sudden change in water parameter might kill them. Think there is always risk involved, the amount will depend on you, whether you willing to take the risk or be safe than sorry.....

hope my advice will help but it might not be the correct way as i am learning and newbie 2. If you can wait, maybe wait for the senior reefers to provide advice. : )

Algae Scrubbler

To Bro Silverdollar, hope my wrong advice didnt give you much inconvenience. :)

Opss... think i might have given you wrong advice. sorry for that. Think follow senior advice will be better. It will be good to confirm your source when buying live rocks. This will avoid such incident. However, imo, not easy to confirm 100% cured rocks. :)

Algae Scrubbler

• SRC Member

It's a normal process. When liverocks are transferred to a new setup, you will expect to see a lot of die offs as many little creatures like worms, crabs snails etc etc cannot adapt to the new enviroment. The water will sure to stink but don't worry, it will go away in a couple of days, trust me. Just continue to let your tank go through the cycling process, it might be anytime from 4-6 weeks and if you can wait longer will be much better. So just sit back and relax, no need to remove the rocks or change any water.

Before adding any live stock, please check the water parameters like ammonia, NO2, PH etc etc to see whether your tank is fully cycled or not. Mine is also going through cycling process right now and the smell had gone away just after 2 days. So good luck and hoped to see an update of ur setup soon!

• SRC Member

Hi, I think from the picture, there is dead small crab, some worms and a dead bristleworm. remove all these corpse first also.

IMO, i try not to kill the "live rock", In fact there are sometimes alot of precious LS in the LR, this is subjected to your utlimate plan for your tank. For me, i will not kill off macroalgae, sponge, crabs, bristleworms as they are natural helpers in keeping water clean in their own little ways. But of course, this is because i am keeping a tank delicated to Hermit crabs, crabs.

• SRC Member

hi. to wat i know , if those smell from the tank. y dun u put carbon on to the sump tank , tat will kill off the smell. i do tat when i bought those LR from farm. some reefer teach me .hope ti help... :)

• SRC Member
hi. to wat i know , if those smell from the tank. y dun u put carbon on to the sump tank , tat will kill off the smell. i do tat when i bought those LR from farm. some reefer teach me .hope ti help... :)

i had simiar experience..put carbon to reduce the smell, try to clear as many decay stuff as possible as suggested above. its true that most bacteria getting killed in this way...but it can be revived by as active bacteria solution or bacteria starter tablets from lfs....

I had the same experience when I started my first tank years ago when I got the foul smell due to excessive die off as I put in a full market prawn and had weak flow in my main tank.

Do look at the flow in your tank as having good flow will decrease the amount of stench.

Fresh water dip is not necessary especially if you bought nice rocks with Coraline on them as fresh water dip for too long a time will leave with with dead rocks and the coloration may not be as nice.

Thanks guys, it took me some time to clear the decay, some bristleworm split to 2 while pulling it out of the hole and part of it still in there unable to remove. Will it cause any problem? Hopefully the smell will go away soon , my family had make a lot of noise (my wife said " [WHY YOU BOUGHT THIS FEW PIECE OF SHIT HOME! THE HOUSE SMELL LIKE SHIT!"] ) {My daulther said "DADDY SO SMELLY"} And me > :whistle ..........

You got any inverts like banded shrimp....they will help u to keep the fresh....not sure whether bristleworm will behave like earthworm ...chop them into half and they can recover and survive.... You have skimmer right....just monitor and clean your skimmer ..... likely to have skimate due to the water.....so you changed the water and removed the corpse right. Then should be ok. Hope everything is fine. Luckly u didnt listen to my advice to kill those live rock...hehe....thousand apologies from me....

Thanks guys, it took me some time to clear the decay, some bristleworm split to 2 while pulling it out of the hole and part of it still in there unable to remove. Will it cause any problem? Hopefully the smell will go away soon , my family had make a lot of noise (my wife said " [WHY YOU BOUGHT THIS FEW PIECE OF SHIT HOME! THE HOUSE SMELL LIKE SHIT!"] ) {My daulther said "DADDY SO SMELLY"} And me > :whistle ..........

Algae Scrubbler

• SRC Member
can any body tell me what is going on with the rock? it's look like someting is forming on the sufface on the rock.

post-14766-1213975545.jpg

post-14766-1213975558.jpg

take out that rock and left it to dry.. but be warn that it will create a very smelly smell for days.

place to put is your a/c ledge but make sure it dont falls. or just throw it away

to prevent this to happen again... dont buy live rocks, get white dead rocks cheaper and free of pest just need to wash with fresh water. White dead rocks can also become live.

Selling big game fishing equipment. Stella 20k / 17k .. made in Japan jigging blue rose / kabuzu popping rod... pm for prices