OMG! Look at these hybrids and rare fishes!

Bryaninops natans

in the wild, lives in groups amongst sps branches and cave overhangs. obtainable but very seldom.

Both natans and yongei was offered at cf once only. And one of each and omg it is bloody small... natans live on sps and yongei on seafans.. v

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

April 2013 Deepwater Okinawa fish collection (100 to 200m)

Plectranthias sp. (V expensive perchlet selling at around 3k in Japan)

post-10328-0-18433500-1379145557.jpeg

Chaetodon Guentheri (a shallow butterfly that can also be found at depth over 100m)

post-10328-0-62951800-1379145562.jpeg

Odontanthias Borbonius (huge and gorgeous but usually does not survive the decompression maladies)

post-10328-0-04581000-1379145699.jpeg

Parapercis sp. (Suspected to be the rare parapercis katoi)

post-10328-0-35676700-1379145769.jpeg

Bodianus Leucostictus (v rare bodianus)

post-10328-0-85517400-1379145796.jpeg

Choerodon Robustus

post-10328-0-06284900-1379145817.jpeg

Cirrhilabrus Lanceolatus (absolutely gorgeous!!)

post-10328-0-18359900-1379145812.jpeg

Xanthichthys Lineopunctatus (very rare triggerfish, unavailable to the market outside of Japan)

post-10328-0-23836600-1379145878.jpeg

Parapercis sp. (Suspected to be the rare parapercis katoi)

attachicon.gifparapercis sp.jpeg

Here's the holotype of P. katoi. There are some slight differences in the coloration of the dorsal fin and the red bars along it's side don't have the dark spots in them.. but it's pretty close.

http://www.kahaku.go.jp/research/publication/zoology/s2/08Randall_et_al.pdf

"Parapercis katoi seems to be more closely related to a new species from Taiwan and southern Japan (Randall, in press) collected from depths

of 80 to perhaps 400 m. It has essentially the same dentition and pattern of scales, a smooth preopercular margin, and is closer in coloration (Masuda et al., 1984: pl. 261, fig. B, as P. somaliensis). It differs from P. katoi in having 52–53 lateral-line scales, usually 17 pectoral rays, lacking a prolonged upper lobe to the caudal fin (total caudal-fin length 19.0–22.8% SL, compared to 24.4–28.8% for P. katoi), and having a shorter snout (9.6–10.3% SL, compared to 11.0–12.5% for P. katoi)."

wMKBbiZ.jpg

And the lanceolatus is ridiculous.

Here's the holotype of P. katoi. There are some slight differences in the coloration of the dorsal fin and the red bars along it's side don't have the dark spots in them.. but it's pretty close.

http://www.kahaku.go.jp/research/publication/zoology/s2/08Randall_et_al.pdf

"Parapercis katoi seems to be more closely related to a new species from Taiwan and southern Japan (Randall, in press) collected from depths

of 80 to perhaps 400 m. It has essentially the same dentition and pattern of scales, a smooth preopercular margin, and is closer in coloration (Masuda et al., 1984: pl. 261, fig. B, as P. somaliensis). It differs from P. katoi in having 52–53 lateral-line scales, usually 17 pectoral rays, lacking a prolonged upper lobe to the caudal fin (total caudal-fin length 19.0–22.8% SL, compared to 24.4–28.8% for P. katoi), and having a shorter snout (9.6–10.3% SL, compared to 11.0–12.5% for P. katoi)."

wMKBbiZ.jpg

And the lanceolatus is ridiculous.

Oops, I spoke too soon. Parapercis are extraordinarily difficult to ID, with there being dozens of species with very similar color patterns. A clearer photo of this specimen would make identification easier.

dfSJKdh.jpg

This is P. randalli. Which looks a lot like P. katoi, but it has red dots in the dorsal fin and is lacking the dark spots on the lateral bars. A better match for our specimen, I think.

tRby48Y.jpg

There's also the recently described P. rubromaculata, which differs from P. randalli mostly in the coloration of the caudal fin. In randalli there are dark blotches, whereas rubromaculata has red spots. Looking at the photo of our specimen it seems there's a dark blotch in the middle of the caudal fin that would correspond to the dark blotches in P. randalli.

http://rmbr.nus.edu.sg/rbz/biblio/60/60rbz163-172.pdf

http://fishdb.sinica.edu.tw/pdf/809.pdf?PHPSESSID=d6d3bj7fattmm0170ji5c9huk4

Oops, I spoke too soon. Parapercis are extraordinarily difficult to ID, with there being dozens of species with very similar color patterns. A clearer photo of this specimen would make identification easier.

This is P. randalli. Which looks a lot like P. katoi, but it has red dots in the dorsal fin and is lacking the dark spots on the lateral bars. A better match for our specimen, I think.

There's also the recently described P. rubromaculata, which differs from P. randalli mostly in the coloration of the caudal fin. In randalli there are dark blotches, whereas rubromaculata has red spots. Looking at the photo of our specimen it seems there's a dark blotch in the middle of the caudal fin that would correspond to the dark blotches in P. randalli.

Parapercis is extremely difficult to ID. The pics on fishbase and on the net all look very very similar.

I always give up trying to ID parapercis. There is no other clearer pic i can find of that parapercis.

Here is another pic of another parapercis sp in a QT.

post-10328-0-77463100-1379153115.jpeg

Here is another parapercis sp i posted before. It belongs to another japanese reefer. It looks to be the same species as the one above.

post-10328-0-74762400-1379153127.jpg

Here is another parapercis in a Japanese LFS. This fish is labelled Parapercis sp 2 by the LFS.

post-10328-0-88926300-1379153381.jpg

There is a parapercis that i always could not ID. It's very common in our indo shipment and i see it always at one of the LFS here.

Dejong Marine has it before and they also labelled it as Parapercis sp.

Here is a pic of the fish:

post-10328-0-51346000-1379153442.jpg

Joe, do you think the above is P.Schauinslandi?

Here is another parapercis in a Japanese LFS. This fish is labelled Parapercis sp 2 by the LFS.

attachicon.gifpara 2.jpg

There is a parapercis that i always could not ID. It's very common in our indo shipment and i see it always at one of the LFS here.

attachicon.gifpara cf.jpg

The first one looks to be P. multifasciata.

The second photo, from what I can make out in a dorsal view, looks like P. schauinslandi. This species seems to display an unusual amount of color variation... but without better photos I can't even be sure that those two specimens are the same species.

para 2.jpg

para cf.jpg

This sp is Parapercis multifasciata..

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp