OMG! Look at these hybrids and rare fishes!

• Senior Reefer

nice marginalis... now u make me wan to hav tis fish... :) bro lemon do update me if it happen to be avail again....

mine died and it's my fav fish.

if it ever come again and come one only, you'll have to fight me for it! :P

show size marginalis!

This is huge! If come this size i doubt u'll get also.

Get Digi to buy for you from TW.. LOL...

EZmarine dun do retail, so they hav no LFS for me to visit.

Our white bar Maculosus are gotten from them anyway. And also captive bred juvi maculosus.

Ezmarine also harvests their own chrysocephalus angels, from taiwan waters.

• Senior Reefer

i wont get such a big marginalis. big butterflies don't do well.

if u see that photo, the edge of the tail is white and looks like initial stage tail rot. but v minor and with good water quality will heal up nicely.

taiwan yes collect their own chrysocephalus angels. it has been unofficially renamed to a more chim scientific name. but i shall just call it chrysocephalus. easier and more globally recognised.

• Senior Reefer

Some fishes are just so rare that it puts the word "rare" in a whole new perspective.

This is Genicanthus semicinctus.

A swallowtail angel that is endemic only to Lord Howe island. It has been documented in Kermedec before but that was only one specimen. so in all essence, it's a true blue lord howe endemic.

there was one specimen to come in to Japan many many years ago. i believe it was illegal. According to Hiroyukia tanaka, the specimen never ate in captivity and the whereabouts of that fish now is unknown. most probably died soon after.

it was a large specimen.

large genicanthus don't adapt well to captivity and most of the time suffer from infection and reluctance to feed.

post-15755-0-57534100-1293325902_thumb.j

post-15755-0-75865000-1293325907_thumb.j

• Senior Reefer

this ugly, and incredibly stupid looking fish is another extreme rarity.

it's entire known range is found only in new south wales and it is protected in lord howe islands. although it is listed as a lord howe endemic, none have ever been documented there.

in fact, they have only been found in a small rocky outcrop called balls pyramid, about 12 dozen miles off lord howe itself.

all living photos of the ballinae angel is taken at ball's pyramid. it's relatively common there and scuba depth. but any collection will quickly wipe out the population since ball's pyramid is so small.

here's ball's pyramid, and in the back, lord howe island.

info and photo courtesy of john copps.

post-15755-0-80030300-1293326248_thumb.j

post-15755-0-57477700-1293326255_thumb.j

this ugly, and incredibly stupid looking fish is another extreme rarity.

it's entire known range is found only in new south wales and it is protected in lord howe islands. although it is listed as a lord howe endemic, none have ever been documented there.

in fact, they have only been found in a small rocky outcrop called balls pyramid, about 12 dozen miles off lord howe itself.

all living photos of the ballinae angel is taken at ball's pyramid. it's relatively common there and scuba depth. but any collection will quickly wipe out the population since ball's pyramid is so small.

here's ball's pyramid, and in the back, lord howe island.

info and photo courtesy of john copps.

The one and only ever Genicanthus Semicinctus collected was sent to Japan and put up for sale at a price tat was never to be surpassed after tat. It remains the most highly priced fish in Japan history ever. But like lemon said the fish din eat and probably died in the LFS and never was sold.

As for Chaetodontoplus Ballinae, it was rumoured to be the same case but worse. Only one was ever collected, of course illegally, and sent to Japan but arrived DOA!

But there is a public aquarium in australia planning to do a lord howe biotope, so if it is realised, visitors can in future see many rare lord howe fishes like semicinctus angel, ballina angel, lord howe butterfly, tricinctus butterfly, mccullochi clowns, latezonatus clowns to name a few.

• Senior Reefer

The one and only ever Genicanthus Semicinctus collected was sent to Japan and put up for sale at a price tat was never to be surpassed after tat. It remains the most highly priced fish in Japan history ever. But like lemon said the fish din eat and probably died in the LFS and never was sold.

As for Chaetodontoplus Ballinae, it was rumoured to be the same case but worse. Only one was ever collected, of course illegally, and sent to Japan but arrived DOA!

But there is a public aquarium in australia planning to do a lord howe biotope, so if it is realised, visitors can in future see many rare lord howe fishes like semicinctus angel, ballina angel, lord howe butterfly, tricinctus butterfly, mccullochi clowns, latezonatus clowns to name a few.

yap.

semicinctus is very rare and even rarer than smithi butterfly due to limited range. and the females are very beautiful also.

how much was it sold for anyway?

• Senior Reefer

lord how biotope will feature the rarest fish in the world because no other place in the world probably hold as many rare fishes in any one place!

lord howe butterfly

ballina angel

semicinctus angel

these 3 are unobtainable, protected and endemic to the islands!

mcculochi clown

conspic angel

latezonatus clowns.

tricinctus butterfly

these 4 are now obtainable but still remain very rare and very expensive and can be found in lord howe. conspic and latz are not endemic. tricinctus butterfly is the exception because it is very rare and all specimens are rumoured to be illegal.

together, these 7 fishes will make for an amazing and rare collection of fishes.

yap.

semicinctus is very rare and even rarer than smithi butterfly due to limited range. and the females are very beautiful also.

how much was it sold for anyway?

I cant remember the price cos the website is no longer around.

The japanese website (now closed) ranked the most expensive marine fishes found in Japan, and number one was Semicintus angel, 2nd was boylei angelfish, 3rd was lord howe butterfly, 4th was personatus angelfish. Debelius, resplenden, clarion, small conspic and small fuscipinnis anthias were the next few but i forgot the order. Then further down they have carmabi, guyanensis butterfly, sanguineus hog etc.

It was probably outdated by now but i believe the semicinctus still remains the top because to date no fish can surpass the price of boylei angel, so semicinctus being one position higher should still remain as the top most expensive!

• Senior Reefer

I cant remember the price cos the website is no longer around.

The japanese website (now closed) ranked the most expensive marine fishes found in Japan, and number one was Semicintus angel, 2nd was boylei angelfish, 3rd was lord howe butterfly, 4th was personatus angelfish. Debelius, resplenden, clarion, small conspic and small fuscipinnis anthias were the next few but i forgot the order. Then further down they have carmabi, guyanensis butterfly, sanguieus hog etc.

It was probably outdated by now but i believe the semicinctus still remains the top because to date no fish can surpass the price of boylei angel, so semicinctus being one position higher should still remain as the top most expensive!

and rightfully so.

semicinctus and spinus are two of the rarest genicanthus.

and rightfully so.

semicinctus and spinus are two of the rarest genicanthus.

Ya, even personatus angel ranked 4th in the website!

If we jux talked about the rarest genicanthus ever in the trade, Semicinctus will always be number one, den followed by Takeuchii angel, den finally personatus. Den 4th will be a drastic drop in price, semifasciatus.

• Senior Reefer

semicinctus, spinus, takeuchii, personatus.

you forgot spinus from the cooks and pitcairn. although not rare as semicinctus and is obtainable, but almost none have ever made it to the trade before and it's very very rare.

takeuchii follow closely behind. it's not rare at all. fairly abundant, but illegal to collect.

personatus is common but in extreme deep water so make collection very difficult. but some have been collected before.

these four are the legendary genicanthus angels that are very rare and will put a mark in history whenever one of any is collected.

and yes, like you said, after personatus, a drastic drop is seen as semifasciatus ranks in 5th position. then probably watanabe and the rest behind all hover around the same level of obtainability. all are very common...

semicinctus, spinus, takeuchii, personatus.

you forgot spinus from the cooks and pitcairn. although not rare as semicinctus and is obtainable, but almost none have ever made it to the trade before and it's very very rare.

takeuchii follow closely behind. it's not rare at all. fairly abundant, but illegal to collect.

personatus is common but in extreme deep water so make collection very difficult. but some have been collected before.

Among these four, the most stand out one is personatus. The rest of the three look more alike in patterns and colours.

Personatus is also the most obtainable (if u can wait and willing to pay) and most suitable for captivity in terms of size and temp requirement.

If i become rich enough one day and when the opportunity arise again to get a personatus, i'll setup up a Hawaii biotope!

• Senior Reefer

Personatus is the most unique of all the genicanthus.

It's shape is the most different. It's v thick and Have a v high body profile.

And also it does not have any stripes at all.

All other genicanthus have stripes in some way or another .

chagos clownfish

Nice and clear pic of a chagos clown.

Extremely rare clownfish although not too impressive looking, not available in the trade.

A telephone card featuring chagos clown. Wonder wat other rare reef fishes made it onto the tele card or even stamp!

post-10328-0-37681800-1293464555_thumb.j