OMG! Look at these hybrids and rare fishes!

• SRC Member

reborn didn't bring them in as many times as iwarna and cf, probably just once or twice cause it was sold of as a normal flasher to me.

here's another angulatus x lineopunctatus

aAnilao_3_30_09_091.jpg

and a lineopunctatus

c0142374_23524238.jpg

:pinch:

• Senior Reefer

reborn didn't bring them in as many times as iwarna and cf, probably just once or twice cause it was sold of as a normal flasher to me.

here's another angulatus x lineopunctatus

aAnilao_3_30_09_091.jpg

and a lineopunctatus

c0142374_23524238.jpg

:pinch:

the one above is the same one i posted.

it was taken by the same diver in Anilao, philippines.

bottom is a normal lineopunctatus.

u can see in the hybrid that the tail is double-emarginate. combining both crescent and rounded characteristics into one tail. the fins also bear the angulated feature with the filaments from lineopunctatus.

• SRC Member

yeap both pictures are of the same fish, probably taken by john hoover? the other pictures in the album are just as amazing.

just curious is the double-emarginate the only obvious tell tale for hybrids? based on the tail and what i've seen in shipments, hybrids don't seem rare, just uncommon. but people don't really take notice to them though.

• Senior Reefer

yeap both pictures are of the same fish, probably taken by john hoover? the other pictures in the album are just as amazing.

just curious is the double-emarginate the only obvious tell tale for hybrids? based on the tail and what i've seen in shipments, hybrids don't seem rare, just uncommon. but people don't really take notice to them though.

hybrid between flasher wrasses are very common. not rare at all.

this is because flasher wrasses are very uncoordinated spawners. producing alot of hybrids between species.

the most commonly found hybrid is between filamented (Paracheilinus filamentosus) and yellow fin flasher (Paracheilinus flavianalis)

the tell tale sign is the tail. but it also depends on what the parent species are. in the above case, filamented flasher wrasse has a elongated swallow like tail. whereas yellow fin flasher wrasse has a rounded tail. the resulting hybrid will have both traits, a double emarginated tail.

also filamented flasher wrasses can have as many as 6 filaments or more, whereas yellow fin typically have only 1-2. rarely 3. the resulting hybrid will give you a filament number of somewhere in between.

and of course, the ana| fin colour will usually be a mix of yellow-orange with very irregular blue spotting. typical of hybrid traits. everything is halfway halfway.

here's a picture of one of the many many hybrids i've found.

other hybrids include

P. filamentosus X P. angulatus

P. angulatus X P. lineopunctatus

of course, any hybrid containing blood from the Angulatus flasher will instantly show traits of angular upward and downward pointing dorsal and ana| fin respectively.

you need to have a sharp eye and know your phenotypes for each species well to identify hybrids between very similar species in one genus.

i don't want to go too much into genetics, so i'll leave it at that.

perhaps other hybrids involving P. cyaneus? the above 3 are the most commonly known ones.

post-15755-0-94226400-1303648544_thumb.j

post-15755-0-53794100-1303648551_thumb.j

• Senior Reefer

tailess clownfishes. not commonly seen in marine but common in freshwater cichilds like the

wel know luohan and the red parrot cichilds.

tailless marine fish are not common, but not rare either.

blue tangs seem to be quite prone to being born without a tail.

tailess clownfishes. not commonly seen in marine but common in freshwater cichilds like the

wel know luohan and the red parrot cichilds.

wild caught tailless percula clown at CoralFarm last year June.. Cheers...

post-9248-0-03474100-1303742902_thumb.jp

post-9248-0-33381100-1303742922_thumb.jp

post-9248-0-19558500-1303742931_thumb.jp

post-9248-0-09405500-1303742941_thumb.jp

30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif
BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

• Senior Reefer

a STUNNING picture of a male pictilis anthias!

reef builders article said that this anthias is easy to feed and easy to keep. i beg to differ. IMO, one of the toughest anthias to keep alive ever. requires de-worming. if it feeds.

post-15755-0-53077300-1303891194_thumb.j

a STUNNING picture of a male pictilis anthias!

reef builders article said that this anthias is easy to feed and easy to keep. i beg to differ. IMO, one of the toughest anthias to keep alive ever. requires de-worming. if it feeds.

Ya Reefbuilder and Quality Marine state it is hardy and easy to feed! Did they get their facts right?? Pictilis are known to be v difficult to get it to start feeding. Most of them starved to death in our aquarium. But once they start feeding they are not so difficult to keep.

• Senior Reefer

OH MY GOD!

gorgeous alpha male Callanthias japonicus and Pseudanthias elongatus showed up in thailand. thanks to my friend for sending these photos to me.

CHECK OUT THAT TAIL ON THE CALLANTHIAS!

these are just shop photos. my friend will take better photos tomorrow morning.

post-15755-0-77074000-1304009578_thumb.j

post-15755-0-59140500-1304009595_thumb.j

OH MY GOD!

gorgeous alpha male Callanthias japonicus and Pseudanthias elongatus showed up in thailand. thanks to my friend for sending these photos to me.

CHECK OUT THAT TAIL ON THE CALLANTHIAS!

these are just shop photos. my friend will take better photos tomorrow morning.

Beautiful callanthias. But both need v low temp.

ORA Black/Caramel Ocellaris (A. ocellaris)

ORA Black Ocellaris (Amphiprion ocellaris)

post-9248-0-12309700-1304133783_thumb.jp

ORA Misbar Black Ocellaris (Amphiprion ocellaris)

post-9248-0-90930000-1304133839_thumb.jp

ORA Extreme Misbar Black Ocellaris (Amphiprion ocellaris)

post-9248-0-27077900-1304133883_thumb.jp

ORA Caramel Ocellaris (Amphiprion ocellaris)

post-9248-0-80956600-1304133900_thumb.jp

30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif
BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore