Soft Corals & Star Fish

• SRC Member
Hi Marine Aquarists,

Just wondering whether are star fishes compatible with soft corals like mushrooms and polyps?

Want to make sure the star fish do not damage or treat them as food.

Red Marble stars, linkia stars and sand shifter stars all are reef safe starfish. Dun buy those chocolate stars as they will eat up ur coals. Do some search of reef safe starfish before buying

A person, himself can be his own Lawyer, but he can never be his own Judge ........

• SRC Member
Ok thanks bro :thanks:

I have brought back a choc chip...at least i'm assured its reef safe. :rolleyes:

Er bro I don't think the choc chip one is reef safe,, From what I know any sea stars that has pertruding knobs on their backs that look like blunt thorns are not reef safe. See attached article. It shows one of the few choc chip sea stars

http://www.saltwater-aquarium-guide.com/Ch...ip-Sea-Star.htm

• SRC Member
Er bro I don't think the choc chip one is reef safe,, From what I know any sea stars that has pertruding knobs on their backs that look like blunt thorns are not reef safe. See attached article. It shows one of the few choc chip sea stars

http://www.saltwater-aquarium-guide.com/Ch...ip-Sea-Star.htm

So far, my corals are still around including my tube worms... :eyebrow: contradictory to what was mentioned on websites.

l7304smr.jpg

• SRC Member
I guess when you have a lot of left over food, the startfish will prefer to eat those. Its when it starts to get hungry, it may decide to snack on your corals.

i agreed with wat bro thexder says... Soon the starfish's action will speaks for itself. Take care bro :ph34r:

A person, himself can be his own Lawyer, but he can never be his own Judge ........

• SRC Member

Most website info are based on facts which have been tested and proven .Lets just hope that you're one of the lucky few who's choc chip sea star leaves the other corals alone. I for one would not be willing to take that risk as one would lose a lot more should the sea star turn on the corals.

All the best.