help~~~

akumanohi

I usually recommend people NOT to buy doctorfishes as they acclimatize badly and are parasite obligates (meaning that once parasites run out as the main source of food... they die).

Rarely does one come across specimens known to eat aquarium food and that is if they survive the acclimatization process in the first place.

Also, doctorfishes when removed from the reef, badly affect the fish population which in turn badly affect the reef.

They are better left in the sea. I recommend cleaner shrimps as the better alternative if you want to get them to pick parasites off your fishes.

this blue doc thrive on eating parasites on fishes, esp when in the wild. I saw some doc. if your tank does not have sufficient fishes to substain its diet, it will slowly wither n die.

difficult to maintain one of the fish.

• SRC Member

i prefer ppl to keep cleaner wrasses out of their tanks, leave them to the sea, where they are happy and the other fishes are happy. imagine one day when only a few doctor fishes left in the sea, they charge the fishes expensively hor.. ( 10 pieces of pods for 1 treatment ) haha u will see fishes brushing themselves all the way on the sand bed.