A Little Tank Update

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

Structural crack or collapse is one thing...if any injuries or worst lost of lives due to that... hmmm..

Sorry..not to dampen your spirit on a new tank.

But this cannot be ignored. :o

Perhaps you may want to engage an expert to guage if the balcony can take the load.

• SRC Member
I went through 5 years of theory in Civil Engineering

I know the danger of structure failure and how easily part of building can give way.

No joke mann .....  :(

I respect you going through 5 years of civil engineering but has there been any reports of a tank crashing down from a HDB flat? I guess mine will be the first then.... :unsure: Thanks for discouraging me guys :cry:

• SRC Member

Check your house drawing or with HDB

What is the safety loading allowed

Normal shopping bearing is 5KN/m2

Non commerical is 3KN/m2

Balcony is less (forget how much already)

Whatever you do don't ask me to calculate for you

Bcos all formula give back to teacher already

dino07.gif

• SRC Member

I respect you going through 5 years of civil engineering but has there been any reports of a tank crashing down from a HDB flat? I guess mine will be the first then.... :unsure: Thanks for discouraging me guys :cry:

okie.......okie.......

I'll leave it to you to judge :erm:

dino07.gif

• SRC Member
Check your house drawing or with HDB

What is the safety loading allowed

Normal shopping bearing is 5KN/m2

Non commerical is 3KN/m2

Balcony is less (forget how much already)

Whatever you do don't ask me to calculate for you

Bcos all formula give back to teacher already

HDB doesn't allow more then 6 feet in length :unsure: under the rules as I had checked when I first got my 6 footer. Don't know what those formulas mean but will check anyway.

• SRC Member

of course I know it's serious but if you notice that the cabinet is not solid but hollow and it's only supporting the glass weight of the tank with water and LR. I have used an 8 footer in my previous home with no balcony support at the bottom and it stood there for all the 10 years that I lived. Don't look at the cabinet as extra weight because without the tank I could move it myself. ;)

• SRC Member

of course I know it's serious but if you notice that the cabinet is not solid but hollow and it's only supporting the glass weight of the tank with water and LR. I have used an 8 footer in my previous home with no balcony support at the bottom and it stood there for all the 10 years that I lived. Don't look at the cabinet as extra weight because without the tank I could move it myself. ;)

bro, ur 8 footer could have lasted coz the wieght was distributed evenly in a long span of slab... a 4x4 ft would put the load on the central, in a small area, exerting more force....

just my opinion... hope u wold be aware of that....

• SRC Member
try to imagine, the weight of the 8ft is distributed evenly in a big area of slab, but in ur case, a 4x4ft is in a small area... the stress point is higher....

Reefer,

I think your concern here is about shear failure

which hardly happens for slab (although possible)

IMO, a four footer will not be strong enough to punch through the slab even if it is filled with concrete

I am more worry about the entire balcony gives way

Hmmm....... mayB can put permeanent props under the balcony :P

dino07.gif

• SRC Member
where u stay?

maybe i can inform my frenz and prevent them from walking past ur house...  :lol:

imagine the balcony drop... tml u will be in the cover page of straits time..  :lol:

very funny :angry: no need to come over or warn your friends , I'll transport the whole tank to your place instead and drop it over your roof..... :lol::lol::lol::lol: then you will not only be in the straits times but also in the orbituary as well..... :lol::lol::lol::lol: I hope you know what "orbituary" means ....thats a good one! It's a shame that this forum has people who either persume to know alot of things or just trying to be too smart for their boots. :sick:

• SRC Member

Reefer,

I think your concern here is about shear failure

which hardly happens for slab (although possible)

IMO, a four footer will not be strong enough to punch through the slab even if it is filled with concrete

I am more worry about the entire balcony gives way

Hmmm....... mayB can put permeanent props under the balcony :P

theres someone else I know who has doubled up 4 X 4 footers one on top of another on his balcony with no support below and it has been there for ages already.....well what about that civil enginner?! Any more theories on that? It Would have been on the front pages or on the news if it had collapsed by now. :pinch:

• SRC Member
hmmm y cant have a 6footer ya....but do hdb allowed to put the main tank eg 5x2x2 n a sump 3x2x2 below??? the load i gues is much greater........can any1 w a phd explain..... :D  :D  :D

the civil enginner seems to know alot these days maybe he's the expert with the PHD :sick::sick::sick::sick: nobody checks with HDB these days but the buildings by them are built to withstand quite a few things. I had 2 X 6 footers in one place but nothing was of concerned. I don't know why that clever "Dinosaur" seems to know everything at seems. Maybe he was born in Prehistoric times.... :lol:

• SRC Member
It seems to me that Dino was offering a piece of friendely advice, and err on the side of safety. 

If you dont want to take the advice, then that is your perogative.  No need to start flaming and calling names.

this is not about you...so I suggest you stay out of it :sick: he didn't give a piece of friendly advice but seem to know alot with his civil engineering thing and discouragement with no absolute proof :sick: No abody asked for his opinion as basically it was about the new tank not the structure of the building :off: You're right that it's a person's perogative because it's not about discouragement. :sick: if you want to be involve then you fall into the same boat with him :sick: