Where can I find a good variety of macroalgae?

Dory

Hi,

Happy New Year!

I'm very new here and am cycling a 2ft tank with live rocks now.

Since it's a small tank (with an equally small budget), I'm planning to stock it with various macroalgae instead of corals which I will almost definitely fail to care for at this point.

The Ah beng shop that I got my live rocks and NSW from doesn't seem to stock stuff like Botryocladia sp. (red grape algae), Chaetomorpha (spaghetti algae) and Halimeda (cactus algae).

Much appreciated if someone can give me some pointers on how to get hold of some nice macroalgae.

Thanks.

Regards,

Theo

Hi Ah-lim,

How much are you selling the cheato for? And where can we meet? I am hoping that it's either near CCK (where I stay) or Bedok (where I work).

How does red bamboo looks like? Are you selling those as well? I'm not too concerned about growth rate. It's for my one and only tank and not a refugium.

Hi Adrian,

Thanks. I'll definitely check it out this weekend. Do you know of anywhere else other than Reborn?

Bro, I do hope that you know Macroalgae have chances of turning sexual esp the Caulerpa... And they need supplement of iron to keep healthy...

Anyway, just to give you some location and where to find the macroalgaes..

Botryocladia uvaria aka red grape algae - CF, Reborn, Ah Beng and Iwarna

Caulerpa Sp. - CF, Reborn, Ah Beng and Iwarna.

Chlorodesmis fastigiata - Ah Beng

Gracilaria curtissae - ##### Marine

Gelidium Sp. - ##### Marine

Scinaia Sp. - CF, Reborn, Ah Beng and Iwarna

Ulva Sp. - Can be picked from East Coast Beach during low tide...

Udotea Sp. - CF

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

• SRC Member

Thanks terryz for the summary !

I have some photo of my caulerpa turning asexual, miilky white tank.

The problem of red bamboo is that their growth is slowwwww. I have being adding chelated iron, but still slowwww, not as efficient as chaeto or algae scrubber.

Red bamboo and grape can get from ah beng.

Google _> image -> red bamboo bah

Ps: My nxt batch of chaeto will tak 2 weeks. They are not thick enough to harvest.Pm me then. Cheerz.

• Senior Reefer

Your best bet will be chaeto. it wont stick to rocks and it will not go asexual. they just float around the water, or rest at the bottom of ur tank. they grow very neatly too, in one tight ball, and its easy to trim.

• SRC Member
Hi all,

Thanks for all the advice!

I just got some cheato from a forumer this morning and, yes, it sure looked hardy to me. :)

Let's hope I can find enough time to go "algae shopping" this weekend...

Thanks for this thread man....i m also looking for macroalgae to put in my tank to reduce nitrate levels.

Think i will go down reborn to check it out.

l7304smr.jpg

Only managed to get "green grape algae" or Caulerpa racemosa. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't go sexual anytime soon.

Still looking for Botryocladia uvaria (aka red grape), Scinaia Sp., ...

Btw, can someone tell me what and where is "##### Marine"? It seems that the name of the shop is blocked by this forum.

• Senior Reefer
Only managed to get "green grape algae" or Caulerpa racemosa. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't go sexual anytime soon.

Still looking for Botryocladia uvaria (aka red grape), Scinaia Sp., ...

Btw, can someone tell me what and where is "##### Marine"? It seems that the name of the shop is blocked by this forum.

Go to www.jir@hmarine.com (replace @ with e). It is near ayer rajah food center. In one of those shop houses

• SRC Member
Go to www.jir@hmarine.com (replace @ with e). It is near ayer rajah food center. In one of those shop houses

Ok, thank you brother Lemon! Went there a couple of times before...ok will check it out.

There's this guy, Jimmy the shop assistant over there...very helpful, but he quite poor thing esp. when the shop is swarm with customers as he is the only one running up and down...haha...kudos to him.

l7304smr.jpg