Decompression Problem

Hi,

I've a liopropoma which is suffering from decompression malady. It is swimming head down and struggling to swim balance not to float to the surface, but it is still eating very well. How can i cure it? Or the problem will slowly go off by itself? I heard on the net that the fish may slowly die of exhaustion if i dont catch it out and pierce the bladder to release the extra air, but it's v difficult for me to catch the fish and i dont have experience with venting fishes! Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank You.

• Senior Reefer
Hi,

I've a liopropoma which is suffering from decompression malady. It is swimming head down and struggling to swim balance not to float to the surface, but it is still eating very well. How can i cure it? Or the problem will slowly go off by itself? I heard on the net that the fish may slowly die of exhaustion if i dont catch it out and pierce the bladder to release the extra air, but it's v difficult for me to catch the fish and i dont have experience with venting fishes! Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank You.

Are you sure its decompression problem? It could be swim bladder disease, and if it is so, it is almost impossible to cure. just give good water quality and hopefully it will cure itself...

Are you sure its decompression problem? It could be swim bladder disease, and if it is so, it is almost impossible to cure. just give good water quality and hopefully it will cure itself...

Hmm may be swim bladder disease, how to tell? no sign of bloated stomache.

• Senior Reefer
Hmm may be swim bladder disease, how to tell? no sign of bloated stomache.

Sometimes not neccesarily need to be bloated. Just try to imprive water quality and feed it good quality food, make sure it eat a variety of food to help it recover... All the best.

Sometimes not neccesarily need to be bloated. Just try to imprive water quality and feed it good quality food, make sure it eat a variety of food to help it recover... All the best.

This is a pic of it swimming, it's almost always in this state.

post-10328-1231589949.jpg

• Senior Reefer
This is a pic of it swimming, it's almost always in this state.

It does look abit fat. Can see the outline of the stomach. Probably swim bladder disease. I dont know if there is a cure.... Best is just try to let it enjoy the rest of its life. Feed is a variety of different foods to build immunity

It does look abit fat. Can see the outline of the stomach. Probably swim bladder disease. I dont know if there is a cure.... Best is just try to let it enjoy the rest of its life. Feed is a variety of different foods to build immunity

Oh it's fat becos jux fed. If not the stomache quite sunken. Sad, it's quite a rare fish, hope it'll get well. Will update its condition in future.

• Senior Reefer
Oh it's fat becos jux fed. If not the stomache quite sunken. Sad, it's quite a rare fish, hope it'll get well. Will update its condition in future.

Oh. Well, then i dunno already. Yea.. why dun wan to get the stripey one? peppermint.

Oh. Well, then i dunno already. Yea.. why dun wan to get the stripey one? peppermint.

U mean liopropoma rubre (swissguard basslet), will probably get it as a substitute but muz wait for carribean shipment. The basslet i've shown is from Bali shipment which i got at a steal for $15 only. It's rare and does not even have a proper described name, web jux put it as Liopropoma Sp (or yellow tail basslet). LiveAquaria is selling one at US$89.99 and Marinecenter at US$119. That's why because of its rarity (and not its price) i hope it can survive.

• Senior Reefer
U mean liopropoma rubre (swissguard basslet), will probably get it as a substitute but muz wait for carribean shipment. The basslet i've shown is from Bali shipment which i got at a steal for $15 only. It's rare and does not even have a proper described name, web jux put it as Liopropoma Sp (or yellow tail basslet). LiveAquaria is selling one at US$89.99 and Marinecenter at US$119. That's why because of its rarity (and not its price) i hope it can survive.

$15!? Oh... that seems very cheap. too cheap.. i would be suspicious, probably cyanide caught. Last time i bought a yasha goby for $5, died within 2 days. Way too cheap, usually means something is wrong. Learnt that the hard way =( Anyway, i hope ur fish survives, keep us updated ya? =)

jsut to add on e topic of fish getting caught in a cheap way n selling cheap...

this is another way to beware of fish u buy

jsut in case e LFS decide to sell e cynaide caught fish at e market price..

if e fish u r buying is rare n dun come often n suddenly it comes in large quantites there gt to b something wrong abt it...

but then again some reputatable LFS might jsut keep more stock to jack e price(nt saying their fish is cynaide caught)

but then again if they sell e cynaide caught fish at fewer quantities , then realli bo bian liaoz.z.z.

but u help e next person by posting here... thus e lfs wun made another profit selling e poor cynaide fish....

nt very professional to sell e fish at fewer quantities again if they lookin for business.... <_<

• Senior Reefer

sorry to hear =( im hoping some of my fish will die too -.- Over crowding the tank and so hard to catch them out... best is for them to DIE!!! especially my triggerfish -.- i take out net only hide inside rock. cant even sell it to ppl....

• Senior Reefer

OMG LA. i feel so hurt =( i was only joking.... if you cannot tell. haha. sorry if it seems like i was serious, but im not.... i felt hurt that u call me irresponsible haha. but im not, dont worry. im just trying to say that my tank is abit overcrowded now, trying to remove some but so hard -.- I thought that maybe my "joke" would cheer you up..... but im sorry if you got it the wrong way.

• 9 months later...
Ok this is my third attempt on this rare bali deepwater liopropoma. Let's hope this time no more buoyancy problems!

L.Latifasciatum

Hi bro,

I've seen this fish at reborn. I think I tried 2 or 3 pieces. All gave in to decompression sickness plus fin rot. I think if it shows the same problems you might want to consider getting a second-hand CR and put the fish under pressure. It might work..

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

Nice fish! Looks pretty good in your pics although it may be difficult to assess in shallow water. Usually I would shy away from any fish that looks like it might have floatation problems in the bag/tank as they are usually bad news.

Good luck!

Intelligent people talk about ideas......

Average people talk about things......

Small people talk about other people......

Hi bro,

I've seen this fish at reborn. I think I tried 2 or 3 pieces. All gave in to decompression sickness plus fin rot. I think if it shows the same problems you might want to consider getting a second-hand CR and put the fish under pressure. It might work..

Tks for the tips, but dun think i'll carry it out as too much trouble. Fishes with buoyancy problem almost 100% will die on me, and the deepwater lios collected from Bali are not handled well and all seem very prone to this problem. I'll stop trying if this one shows the same problem again.

Nice fish! Looks pretty good in your pics although it may be difficult to assess in shallow water. Usually I would shy away from any fish that looks like it might have floatation problems in the bag/tank as they are usually bad news.

Good luck!

Normally they dun show any signs of decompresion sickness. They can be eating and swimming v well at the LFS and in my tank and after a week or two it'll one day suddenly lose its balance and after that i can only watch it struggle with a bloated belly and slowly wear out. There's a big 5 inches at Reborn which already shows the sign of swimming head down. Smaller specimen decompress better, but mine is not small, so the hope is low.