DIY Scrubber

shaohui75

I am inspired by what those people are doing in this link: http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=73162

. They are really fantastic to come out with the ideal to export nutrients with Algae this way. I decided to build a custom small version of my own.

First, i decided to make use of the inside of my L-Box overflow section because it has the most flow and that space is practically under-utilised. Since my L-Box side is facing the sun, i decided to open it up and let sunlight shine in. This is what it looks like.

post-2571-1231599939.jpg

post-2571-1231599958.jpg

Might want to shorten your overflow pipe. For a scrubber to be effective it should run wet/dry. It will still work if the algae is submersed but it will not be that effective.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

may i know where u get those mesh from?

I got the mesh from Sengkang's Compasspoint Home-Fix DIY shop. I think you can find this shop anywhere in Singapore. It cost $7.50.

Thanks all the bro for the feedback, i am afraid i cant modify my pipes anymore as everything is running for a few years already(also noise from water flow will be too loud if it is shorten). Anyway, this setup is just to compliment my skimmer which i do not intend to take out.

U will have a problem cleaning it.

Hi Bro iceman, thanks for the comment. You mean taking it out to clean? I cut the mesh to pieces of half feet width each so it will be easier for me to take out later. I did not just dump the whole roll in.

Bro Fuel and John mention that for a scrubber to be effective, it should run wet/dry. Just for my knowledge, can you elaborate why? Arent you concern with the smell and splash?

For my light source, i think i have 2option, 1)open the blue backing behind of the L-Box and install a 1.5feet light and/or install a LED array on top of the L-Box which direct light straight down into the L-box.

• SRC Member
Hi Bro iceman, thanks for the comment. You mean taking it out to clean? I cut the mesh to pieces of half feet width each so it will be easier for me to take out later. I did not just dump the whole roll in.

Bro Fuel and John mention that for a scrubber to be effective, it should run wet/dry. Just for my knowledge, can you elaborate why? Arent you concern with the smell and splash?

For my light source, i think i have 2option, 1)open the blue backing behind of the L-Box and install a 1.5feet light and/or install a LED array on top of the L-Box which direct light straight down into the L-box.

For the scrubber to be effective the screen has to be out of the water, If u put the screen in the water the algae will not grow on the screen, instead it will grow like a normal refugium.

• SRC Member

Shortening the durso pipe may end up with waterfall sound.

I think that's why most wet/dry scrubbers are located above the sump, or in a separate container.

But I think bro johntanjm's use of cloth as a media for algae to grow on is a stroke of genius - cheap, easy to shape, easily replaceable.

:idea:

For the scrubber to be effective the screen has to be out of the water, If u put the screen in the water the algae will not grow on the screen, instead it will grow like a normal refugium.

Bro iceman, i think you are right, this setup is more like a refugium than a scrubber. I will think about it how i can improve on it. In the mean time, here's a photo of the algae growth after 1 week.

post-2571-1232266395.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
hi,

can you advise where did you get the led lights from? am trying to do a scrubber for my nano tank and am currently looking for a suitable light source. thanks!

I bought it from Mustafa for i think $24. It is actually a torch but i have DIY it to be a lamp by removing the battery and powering it with a 5V DC adaptor.

omg... that's yucky... how do you do your maintenance work?

It is actually good because all that growth absorb my nitrate and phosphate. Maintenance is easy, i just scrap them off with a credit card. Since this is in the overflow compartment, all the algae that is scrap off get trap in my mechanical filter(i dump the cotton wool after that).

• 2 weeks later...

Di you take the PO4 and NO3 reading before using the scrubber and after implementing it

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

Di you take the PO4 and NO3 reading before using the scrubber and after implementing it

Sorry, no i did not take any readings. But the speed of nuisance algae growth on my main tank has reduced dramatically. The result is better than when i was using FR. I can see a lot of pods crawling in my overflow compartment too.