cycling tank

takumee

• SRC Member
my market prawn after 12hrs turns red, like cooked.

is it suppose to be like that?

Yeah, it turns red when it starts decomposing. I think it is safe to remove once you cannot stand the smell, or you can test for ammonia to see if it is present.

My 1.5ft nano cube

My 24G nano tank (Decommed)

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.

And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

-- Jack Handey

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

once i cannot stand the smell and remove the prawn, can i not test the ammonia as i still have not get any test kit yet.

is there anything in the market that can test all the parameters like those colour chart test for ph and ammonia.

so after this stage i will run for another 4 weeks ya?

• SRC Member
thanks for all valuable feedbacks.

actually, i got this tank from a reputable shop at yishun.

the guy told me to:

1. just mix the sand with water, add some anti chlorine, anti bacteria, and all those bio chemical thingy meant for the sump tank

2. run for a day,

3. add some live rock,

4. run for a week,

5. the day before i getting my LS, throw a market prawn for a day,

6. ready for LS then.

THIS IS WRONG MAN! Good thing you asked your queries here.

Sometimes the good guys gotta do bad things to make the bad guys pay. - Harvey Specter

thanks to all seniors who is patience enough to guide me.

i did try to read up alot on water cycling, water parameters, nitrate, nitrite, ammonia etc.

but really just too much espeicially i hear different opinions from shop also.

my understanding now is:

i built up my ammonia level now by adding market prawn to increase the bacteria be it good or bad for a good start.

once live stock is introduced into tank, ammonia will be generated with all the feeding and discharges.

live rock biologically will break down ammonia into nitrite and subsequent nitrate which is essential for healthy water parameters.

protein skimmer is to reduce the amount of ammonia inside also?

sorry for all the rojak here.

• SRC Member

Nope, not sufficient.

Read this up...

http://faq.thekrib.com/begin-cycling.html

Best Regards,

Morpheous

==========================================================================================

My Ocean Pets:

Emperor Angel, PowderBlue Tang, Regal Angel, Teardrop Butterfly, Singapore Angel and Nemos

==========================================================================================

(Only when you guard your lips, you guard your soul....)

• SRC Member

you can dose bacteria to "speed up" the process, however, its really really recommended to wait for 4 weeks of cycling (so that you will have lesser problem in the future)

Patience will save you alot of trouble when your tank is fully cycled

what you can do now in my opinion (guys correct me if i am wrong):

1) Go get some good test kit like salifert Ammonia test kit and no2 and no3 test kit.

2) Perform the test and check whether your cycling is in the correct cycle.

3) Wait 1 week (perform test)

4) Wait 2 week (perform test)

5) Wait somemore :)

6) read up more and get most of your equips in hand (reviews from google and bros from SRC for Skimmer/live rock/what fish to get/what theme you want/wavemaker/pump/lighting) and if you want to save electricity, invest more for this reputable equip with low wattage.

Hope this helps...

my humblr 2dollar... not cents :angel:

hi all,

i just remove my market prawn after a day.

what is my next step?

• SRC Member

You should have your test kits on hand because you need to chart the rise and fall of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Watch ammonia rise and peak then fall as nitrite rise, then peak and fall... It is a long and boring process, but you need to know that the ammonia and nitrite has maxed out before falling naturally, that is how you gauge if the bacteria population has grown large enough for the volume of the tank.

In my opinion, adding bacteria or whatever quick start system is unreliable, a waste of money. It is beneficial, yes, but doesn't speed up the cycling process significantly. Let's say you're hungry, you take a gastric pill to neutralise your stomach acid, then the hunger pangs are gone - but does that mean you are already full and don't need to eat the meal anymore?

If ammonia and nitrite doesn't hit its peak -- because of water change, adding chemical filters, etc -- it will give you an illusion of low ammonia or nitrite. They may not be present, but the essential bacteria that consumes them may also not be present.

Please take everything the LFS says with a pinch of salt, why would they want to misinform customers about the nitrifying cycle being 5 days to a week? Surely after being in business for so long, such mainstream knowledge should be the most basic we would expect them to have right?

My theory is that they want to strike while your interest is still hot. An excited newbie returning within a week is sure to spend more on buying livestock, as opposed to 4 weeks later when he could have lost the enthusiasm, researched more or realised that you don't need to buy so much rubbish, or discover other interesting LFSs. Annnnd..... if your nitrifying cycle is incomplete, they can tell you that your equipment is lousy, sell you more chemicals, equipment. And of course can sell more livestock when they die from ammonia and nitrite poisoning or whatever parasites :evil:

But, of course there are many reputable LFS who are honest and knowledgeable in sg, a simple search here will turn up quite a few recommendations and testimonials from fellow reefers.

To cut the long story short: Cycle for at least 4 weeks! LOL :upsidedown:

My 1.5ft nano cube

My 24G nano tank (Decommed)

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.

And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

-- Jack Handey

yes bro, pls be more patient...im oso cycling my tank nw...n today is only the 1st day..haiz...stil a long way to go...

Main tank: 4.5 x 2.5 x 2
Skimmer: Deltec AP701
Return pump: RD 6

Chiller: Daikin compressor with Titanium coil
Wavemaker: Jebao w-20, Maxspect Gyre xf150

Lighting: 8x54 ATI Sunpower Non-dimmable

Linked tank
Main tank: 2 x 1 x 2
Return: Eheim 1260
Lighting: AI Hydra 26 with controller
Wavemaker: Tunze 6025
My decommed 3 ft setup

yes bro, pls be more patient...im oso cycling my tank nw...n today is only the 1st day..haiz...stil a long way to go...

hi bro, so how u settle with all your LS since u r still under cycleing period?? anyway the zoo i get from u, got zoo pox spread by my another zoo.... but overall still looking heathy.... n yes, in this hobby.... patient is the main key!!!

i can wait for 4 weeks no problem.

but the problem is i have taken out the prawn just one day and i also do not have all the test kit.

can i just leave it like this for a week?

also i was told to just get 1 or 2 LS to speed up the ammonia process as well.

what you guys think?

but the problem is i have taken out the prawn just one day and i also do not have all the test kit.

what you guys think?

post-16043-1235280905.jpg

post-16043-1235280942.jpg

• SRC Member

what you guys think?

Do your research. There's other methods to speed up w/o using LS.

http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/bionitrog.../a/aa042403.htm

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

• SRC Member
what you guys think of my skimmer?

You don't need to switch on skimmer when cycling. You want to build ammonia levels to kick start the nitrogen cycle.

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

• SRC Member
Do your research. There's other methods to speed up w/o using LS.

http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/bionitrog.../a/aa042403.htm

Here's an excellent article on cycling with shrimp. http://fishwhisperer.homestead.com/articles.html