wavemaker for nano tank

fishiee

I have bought a sunsun wavemaker (3000l/h) for my nano tank. my tank is a 2ft tank with a capicity of 66.072l. Is this too strong?

i do have mushroom corals and some of them do seemed to be a little irked by it. Any advice? should i point it to the aquarium glass or what? if i were to buy a new wavemaker, what brand and type do you think i should get (price: 25SGD or below).

I have half the mind of delegating this wavemaker to my freshwater tank.

I also have to take into consideration that i am planning to add an external slump with a flow of either 400 or 900l/h, adding to the water current. Can the wavemaker somehow be converted into a pump for the slump?

another idea of mine was to enginner an internal slump and use the wavemaker to direct the water into the slump, but that would then take up my tank space...

i am planing to use the slump to store my skimmer away, culture a bit of LR and grow cheato as i am now fighting a loosing war against something called a nitrate ion and consequently, the eukaryotic, peptidoglycan coated, photosynthetic, rapidly reproducing and otherwise irksome single-celled organism that comes with it. do i really need a slump in the first place?

• SRC Member
I have bought a sunsun wavemaker (3000l/h) for my nano tank. my tank is a 2ft tank with a capicity of 66.072l. Is this too strong?

i do have mushroom corals and some of them do seemed to be a little irked by it. Any advice? should i point it to the aquarium glass or what? if i were to buy a new wavemaker, what brand and type do you think i should get (price: 25SGD or below).

I have half the mind of delegating this wavemaker to my freshwater tank.

I also have to take into consideration that i am planning to add an external slump with a flow of either 400 or 900l/h, adding to the water current. Can the wavemaker somehow be converted into a pump for the slump?

another idea of mine was to enginner an internal slump and use the wavemaker to direct the water into the slump, but that would then take up my tank space...

i am planing to use the slump to store my skimmer away, culture a bit of LR and grow cheato as i am now fighting a loosing war against something called a nitrate ion and consequently, the eukaryotic, peptidoglycan coated, photosynthetic, rapidly reproducing and otherwise irksome single-celled organism that comes with it. do i really need a slump in the first place?

Below 25 bucks dun think u can buy any good brands one... But for 48 bucks... :eyebrow: You can try the hydor nano... :rolleyes:

1ft cube with IOS [the low tech tank]

1. JBJ C-breeze to keep temp hovering around 27-28'C

2. LED clip on - 120 bulbs

-skimmer-less-

My 3 humble equipments that keeps my tank running... [DRIED OUT]

1. The RSM itself of course 2.My NEW Deltec MCE-300 Skimmer 3. My trusty Arctica Chiller

Tank parameters:

Temperature maintained at 25.3'C to 24.7'C

No3: 10ppm(b4 the use of the deltec skimmer)

No3: 5ppm (after use of the skimmer)

Others? too lazy to measure...LOL

Camera- EOS 50D

• SRC Member

3000L/H is too powerful for a standard 2ft tank. You can reduce the force of the current by pointing the wavemaker to the glass or LR.

And its a sump, not a slump. :whistle

Sometimes the good guys gotta do bad things to make the bad guys pay. - Harvey Specter

i tried to cut the pastic wavemaker propeller to reudce water flow - and guess what? i cut too much.

i may decide to buy another wavemaker in a month's time (using a normal pump now). should i get a boyu wavemaker for nano tanks or a korella nano?

alternatively, are there any spare propellers avaliable for sunsun that the LFS sells? i may buy it and cut again, but not that much.

• SRC Member
i tried to cut the pastic wavemaker propeller to reudce water flow - and guess what? i cut too much.

i may decide to buy another wavemaker in a month's time (using a normal pump now). should i get a boyu wavemaker for nano tanks or a korella nano?

alternatively, are there any spare propellers avaliable for sunsun that the LFS sells? i may buy it and cut again, but not that much.

hydor will be a better choice, if you think 3000 is too much, can try Hydor Koralia 1 - Wavemaker Pump 1500L/h at around 6 red and 4 purple notes.

if you are budget wise, you can get back the sunsun 3000 again .. actually its not that bad (am using one for my sump for 1 month and the current is good for my sump ,(of course for the price haha)it seems ok till now......)

or you can get seio m620, around 4 red note if i am not wrong(can get from reefer selling them). current not that strong.. but think its ok for your nano tank

my 2 cents

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member
especially when it is bigger then mine..

Not true leh bro, your tank is 90L in volume, compared to his 60L. Anyway, thanks for your advise that day, I just bought the K1, just nice for the 24G :)

Fishee: I suggest you get the K1, 1500l/h. You can point and redirect around rocks or glass to slow the flow, but I find that the flow is just about right for a small tank.

My 1.5ft nano cube

My 24G nano tank (Decommed)

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.

And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

-- Jack Handey

• SRC Member
Not true leh bro, your tank is 90L in volume, compared to his 60L. Anyway, thanks for your advise that day, I just bought the K1, just nice for the 24G :)

Fishee: I suggest you get the K1, 1500l/h. You can point and redirect around rocks or glass to slow the flow, but I find that the flow is just about right for a small tank.

haha... you are right.. what i mean was in terms of length his tank is longer.. =]

anyway i be using K1 and K0 for my tank when i restart... think it will be perfect.. have you got the correct return pump?

Fishee: given that your tank is sumpless i presume that the only thing that can create wave will be your sole wavemaker? if so you may like to consider having 2 instead... =]

A man with a reef tank is a man with an empty wallet...