VERY irresponsible LFS owner

blueheaven

today i went to @&@ aquarium to get a bottle of dechlorinator. when i approached their marine LS, I caught the owner very swiftly flicked his cigarette ash into one of the tanks. the fish in there picked at it as if it was food!!!! then, he drew some water out and poured in a whole bag of water(those that they sell to people in big bags). i took a look at the corals and noticed that their goniopora is not extending its polyps and the base looks like it is filled with air like a balloon. the one and only koko worm has a broken tube and is dangling. all the other corals look like they are half dead by now. worse still, after the owner poured in the water, he told his assistant to "test" the water. i saw him only using a hydrometer to test. how about the other chemicals? after that, i saw a boy asking one of the assistants on how to set up a marine tank, the assistant merely told him to get a packet of salt mix, one FL light and a hydrometer. the assistant told him that he just mix the saltwater and can add anemones and corals the next day!!!!!!!!! looking at this really pissed me off. :angry::angry::angry:

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

nowadays, there r alot of unethical lfs around....... there's nothing we can do about it........ look at rebo**, they stuff like hundreds of LS in one tank..... OMG!!!!!

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

• SRC Member
today i went to @&@ aquarium to get a bottle of dechlorinator. when i approached their marine LS, I caught the owner very swiftly flicked his cigarette ash into one of the tanks. the fish in there picked at it as if it was food!!!! then, he drew some water out and poured in a whole bag of water(those that they sell to people in big bags). i took a look at the corals and noticed that their goniopora is not extending its polyps and the base looks like it is filled with air like a balloon. the one and only koko worm has a broken tube and is dangling. all the other corals look like they are half dead by now. worse still, after the owner poured in the water, he told his assistant to "test" the water. i saw him only using a hydrometer to test. how about the other chemicals? after that, i saw a boy asking one of the assistants on how to set up a marine tank, the assistant merely told him to get a packet of salt mix, one FL light and a hydrometer. the assistant told him that he just mix the saltwater and can add anemones and corals the next day!!!!!!!!! looking at this really pissed me off. :angry::angry::angry:

That poor fella and newbie who is going to follow that advice :erm: It spells disaster already. People are already giving up on this hobby and I heard that 50% of people in the U.K. who were keen marine hobbyist have already dropped out....what shame :cry:

ya boy. most LFS only knows how to keep freshwater. been to a few converted LFS & their corals r not doing well.

the other day, thought i saw a ricordea & tempted to rescue it (buy back home). but it has shunked & i can't really figure it out if it was a ric or was it a mushroom!

so sad 2 c the coral wasted....the hammers there only left with the stem

I agreed he (Caven RD) really take care of the coral.

But knowledge on fish not very good. Some example, saw some Brazilian Gramma and he say its Royal gramma charge $38 for it. Bought a Harlequin Filefish check with him is it reef safe, and he say yes, later found out the fish feed on acropora, hope I spell correctly. In the end give away the fish to my friend

Bought a Harlequin Filefish check with him is it reef safe, and he say yes, later found out the fish feed on acropora, hope I spell correctly.

huh??????? :blink:

• SRC Member

yes.. there are more and more irresponsible LFS owners.. they just wanna make quick bucks.. ask them and i'll bet they know very little abt marine... so i suggest alll those keen marine fish keepers.. go to the old birds.. dun go to the new LFS.. cauz most of their LS not that healthy and the condition is very lousy

• SRC Member

jelly fish needs special tank.. i heard before not normal glass tanks can be used.. u need smt special.. cauz if the jelly fish keeps bumping at the glass of the tank... it'll die... and there should be no air bubbles in the tank.. diet also special

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

My goodness... I've never been to the R*born at its new location but from what you guys say it sounds like they've really degraded...

But if I'm not wrong R*born is a major supplier of Marine LS in Singapore and with so so many FW shops starting out with Marine (after the Luo Han craze died.... <_< ) R*born might just be battling really hard with space and hence had to resort to this....

But then again maybe the owner just wants to earn lots of money... His wife DID once tell me that seahorses feed on algae.... But then later his son told me that they actually feed on plankton.... -_-

But with regards to the other LFS owners that know nothing about Marine Life.... Hahahahahaha.... I've come to just learn to simply laugh at their serious yet ridiculous advises....

But really pity those trusting hobbyists who listen to their advice though.... Hence the misconception that Marine fishes are really hard to keep.... :(

R*born has actually improved alot since they moved to the new location. If you had been to their old location at upper paya lebar rd you will know what I mean..

As for the amount of fishes in their tanks...they are one of the major suppliers here..what else can you expect?

However, i still disapprove of them bottling up fishes like sardines.. <_<

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

reborn used to be at pasir panjang when I started 1st time in marine ard 11yrs ago....can say that they improved a lot....last time was really bad....but do miss the price....goniopora only like $3-5....

Tank: 5 X 2 X 2.5

Sump : 3 X 1.5 X 1.8

Tunze 6060

Tunze TF08

Oceanrunner 6500

Deltec AP 902 Protein Skimmer

I-Aquatic Calcium Reactor

Arctica Chiller

• SRC Member

to my opinion, reborn business got bigger.saw many small lfs boss who knew nothing most times taking stock from them. why they dump so many fish in a tank? simply the fishes wont be there for long cause in the next 1-2 days, those fella from lfs will scoop them all....but i miss the good service from ah soon and the 'lady' in the old days when theres not many reefers and lfs bosses.... they simply can follow you around the tanks to answer your question.

• SRC Member

yup...agreed...they used to do that when i started...free NSW somemore...every week go and pack NSW and bring home to change water...

when buy new fish....they pack very big packet...haahaa

Tank: 5 X 2 X 2.5

Sump : 3 X 1.5 X 1.8

Tunze 6060

Tunze TF08

Oceanrunner 6500

Deltec AP 902 Protein Skimmer

I-Aquatic Calcium Reactor

Arctica Chiller