why is my NO3 always so high?

yikai

• SRC Member

Agree. Most logic solution. :)

I doubt denitrator will work. heeee

Bro,

Algae scrubber, scrubber, scrubber! Swear by it!

I have close to 40 fishes and more than 20 tangs, a lot of them fairly large. Amongst these, there are 6 blue tangs (3 of which are 4 inches long) that just poops massively all the time. I also feed really heavily as the 6 blue tangs eats so much and so fast that I need to overfeed to ensure my other fishes get their fair share. Haven't changed water for more than 2 months; top-up using tap water.

Phosphate is negligible and NO3 is quite constant at about 25ppm - a result I am happy with considering the amount of feeding i do.

Give a serious thought about the scrubber.

Goodluck.

• SRC Member
Bro lemon, forgotten to mention: denitrator will lessen nitrate level only. The nightmare is, you have to adjust it very often to get the drip correct. The drip is so less, it will always choke up the valve throat. Then you have to release a bit for the vlave throat to release off the debris and then to close it back to the correct drip level. Many bros here had tried and gave up due to the frequent adjustment on the valve.

serious? i havent adjust mine as the drip is still constant. i using 3 drop per sec now.

serious? i havent adjust mine as the drip is still constant. i using 3 drop per sec now.

At 3 drops per sec, how long would it takes to reduce the entire tank's Nitrate? Seems like it will take ages...unless you have multiple units working together. Sooner or later you will face phosphate problem and u need phosphate reactor.

• SRC Member
change water often using distilled water...this is still the best solution. no need to invest in expensive denitrator.

changing water for nano tank can work but for bigger tank, u will go broke. changing 20% of my tank vol is abt 100L liao. u go do the maths

• SRC Member

I think your denitrator didnt work. Your NO3 lowered might be from your other means, example, Live Rocks.

Your drip is too fast for the NO3 bacteria to survive/grow.

• SRC Member
I think your denitrator didnt work. Your NO3 lowered might be from your other means, example, Live Rocks.

Your drip is too fast for the NO3 bacteria to survive/grow.

my output is measured 0 for no3. so how is that not working?

Denitrator once kicked in can be run full flow without any drip. The output will still be 0 nitrate. However if you run it so fast keep an eye on your kH as it will drop real quick. If your system is large it should be ok but if it is a small system you will experience ionic imbalance very soon.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/