Water Quality

Hi Bros,

I just set up my new 36"x20"x24" marine tank last friday, using NSW, Sorb4 in FR, Cotton Wool, Coral Chips and PURll

in sump tank as filter media. I dose 5 vials of Bio Digest in the main tank and 1 vial in the sump.

Do I need to change some water from the main tank during cycling? The cotton wool must I replace it also?

I also notice that there is a layer of dirt on the surface of the sand and also live rock on the dead spot, must I siphon

it out now?

Thanks for the advise in advance.

post-16076-1245656286.jpg

post-16076-1245656320.jpg

Admiring a well designed Terrarium's garden indoor is like walking thru a garden after a whole day work...

Hi Bros,

I just set up my new 36"x20"x24" marine tank last friday, using NSW, Sorb4 in FR, Cotton Wool, Coral Chips and PURll

in sump tank as filter media. I dose 5 vials of Bio Digest in the main tank and 1 vial in the sump.

Do I need to change some water from the main tank during cycling? The cotton wool must I replace it also?

I also notice that there is a layer of dirt on the surface of the sand and also live rock on the dead spot, must I siphon

it out now?

Tot of setting up a FOWLR tank rather than mixed with Corals for easily maintenance.

Any suggestion ?

post-16076-1245656649.jpg

Admiring a well designed Terrarium's garden indoor is like walking thru a garden after a whole day work...

• SRC Member
Hi Bros,

it out now?

bro do not change water or change filter wool as it will affect the cycling stage and

by doing so may make the cycling stage longer

yep since there is a layer of dirt on the sand see if its red or green if its red siphon them out and use red slime remover

also add a wave maker to allow circulation there

secondly I think that since u have spend so much on stuff why not go directly to corals is not I believe one day u will stil come to the coral part

hahah I experience it before :rolleyes::eyebrow::unsure:

Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.

Member of:
www.marineaquarist.sg

• SRC Member
  • SRC Member

ya better not to on ur lights , it will just tempt u to put livestocks in earlier then u supos to

, better yet , cover the whole tank up with a cloth and close your eyes when u walk pass it :eyebrow:

Mix Reef Tank: 5ft x 2.5ft x 2ft mixed reef

Chiller: daikin 1hp compressor

Return: Red Dragon 6.5m3

Lighting: Aqua Lumen Ocean 4ft

Skimmer: Reef Octopus RO-RPS-5000-EXT w/ Bubble Blaster

CR: RM 824 /milwakee PH controller

Tunze TS24 with 7096

Tunze Osmolator

American Pinpoint PH monitor

American Pinpoint ORP Monitor with Resun Ozone

RM sulphur denitrator

RM FR 424

RM FR 624

TLF Phosban Reactor

My old tank thread

469748_10150741487628605_529506809_o_zps36d5c396.jpg

• SRC Member
ya better not to on ur lights , it will just tempt u to put livestocks in earlier then u supos to

, better yet , cover the whole tank up with a cloth and close your eyes when u walk pass it :eyebrow:

hahaha woa bro dachkie thats a pretty nice Idea haha

dont tell me you did that when you were cycling ur tank uh??? :eyebrow: :eyebrow:

Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.

Member of:
www.marineaquarist.sg

• SRC Member

l'm assuming you are new to marine. If you are, there are some types of fishes (non-reef safe) that cannot be housed together with certain types of corals and invertebrates. And some species that should be totally avoided due to poor survival in captivity, feeding habits and/or aggressiveness.

Corals also require more attention to water quality, lighting and feeding, as well as maintenance. Best not to start with corals if you are unfamiliar with marine hobby. Start with reef-safe fishes and when you are more experienced, then can introduce corals. More readings and researches will save you alot of money, time, stress and precious marine lives.

Happy reefing!

• SRC Member

Do a 20% water change at the end of yr cycle bro...and change the filter wool.

Also coral chips are a no-no for me...coz it will accumulate a lot of dirt inside over time.

Yes...try not to switch on yr lights...during cycling..will induce algae growth.

Btw, nice place you have there....i will build a 5footer if i have a place like yours...haha...

l7304smr.jpg

• SRC Member
l'm assuming you are new to marine. If you are, there are some types of fishes (non-reef safe) that cannot be housed together with certain types of corals and invertebrates. And some species that should be totally avoided due to poor survival in captivity, feeding habits and/or aggressiveness.

Corals also require more attention to water quality, lighting and feeding, as well as maintenance. Best not to start with corals if you are unfamiliar with marine hobby. Start with reef-safe fishes and when you are more experienced, then can introduce corals. More readings and researches will save you alot of money, time, stress and precious marine lives.

Happy reefing!

To wad underwater said... Do not add damsels... They'll destroy ur future plans of adding beautiful fishes... <_<

1ft cube with IOS [the low tech tank]

1. JBJ C-breeze to keep temp hovering around 27-28'C

2. LED clip on - 120 bulbs

-skimmer-less-

My 3 humble equipments that keeps my tank running... [DRIED OUT]

1. The RSM itself of course 2.My NEW Deltec MCE-300 Skimmer 3. My trusty Arctica Chiller

Tank parameters:

Temperature maintained at 25.3'C to 24.7'C

No3: 10ppm(b4 the use of the deltec skimmer)

No3: 5ppm (after use of the skimmer)

Others? too lazy to measure...LOL

Camera- EOS 50D

Thanks for all the advise. As I am using live rock, live sand, natural sea water, dose Bio Digest in the main and sump tank,

how many days(minimum) must I wait to complete the cycle process?

What fish can I add in to test water? Today is the 5th days of my new tank set up.

Thanks for all the advise. As I am using live rock, live sand, natural sea water, dose Bio Digest in the main and sump tank,

What fish can I add in to test water? Today is the 5th days of my new tank set up.

Can I put in a shrimp inside my tank during the cycle stage?

What shrimp suitable?

• SRC Member

usually we dun count by days.....we test the water with kit to determine if the cycle is complete. for mi, i usually wun bother with the newly set up tank until 1 mth later.....the longer u cycle, the better it is.

n pls dun buy LS to test water...5 days is still too early.....patient is the key to reefing.....

• SRC Member
hahaha woa bro dachkie thats a pretty nice Idea haha

dont tell me you did that when you were cycling ur tank uh??? :eyebrow: :eyebrow:

no leh luckily i was cycling when my old tank flooded and i still could save my LS by dumping them into the current tank

Mix Reef Tank: 5ft x 2.5ft x 2ft mixed reef

Chiller: daikin 1hp compressor

Return: Red Dragon 6.5m3

Lighting: Aqua Lumen Ocean 4ft

Skimmer: Reef Octopus RO-RPS-5000-EXT w/ Bubble Blaster

CR: RM 824 /milwakee PH controller

Tunze TS24 with 7096

Tunze Osmolator

American Pinpoint PH monitor

American Pinpoint ORP Monitor with Resun Ozone

RM sulphur denitrator

RM FR 424

RM FR 624

TLF Phosban Reactor

My old tank thread

469748_10150741487628605_529506809_o_zps36d5c396.jpg

• SRC Member
Is it alright to turn on the skimmer, few hours of T5lights, chiller during cycling?

For mi, i onli run my return pump n wavemaker during cycling....no skimmer, no lights no chiller.....

• SRC Member
no leh luckily i was cycling when my old tank flooded and i still could save my LS by dumping them into the current tank

hmm hahaha good la can faster enjoy new tank keke :eyebrow: :eyebrow:

but the livestocks so fast dump in can uh??

hahaha :thanks:

Member of:
www.marineaquarist.sg

• SRC Member

If you use cured liverocks, live sand and dose beneficial bac, then your cycling period is cut short. But need to ensure you check your ANN cycle is over. Ammonia (very toxic) --> Nitrite (less toxic than Ammonia) --> Nitrate. Use test kit to check, not fish to test test water hor. Your fish and shrimps could die if exposed to ammonia and high nitrite.

Read some old threads on ANN here or other websites. Will help you alot as this is the fundamental knowledge to reefing.

Cheers..

Today mark the 10th days of my new tank cycle process.

Ph 8.1

Ammonia - close to 0

NO2 - did not test cos run out of testing fluid

NO3 - 20ppm

PO4 - close to 0

Salt - 1.020

Temperature : set at 28deg

The above measurement is ok ?

Tot of tsf my boxer shrimps and 2 to 3 corals from my old tank tomorrow

bro,

check with you, did you on your skimmer during this cycling stage?

Me also just set up my tank over the week end, using live sand, live rock and NSW. Did a quick run thru, some say must on skimmer, some sayno need.

very confuse.

i did run my skimmer over the week end to test run for a day, surprise alot of skims, shld i off the skimmer now?

I did turn on my Tunze 9002 skimmer since day 1 of the cycle process, chiller set at 28deg, turn on FR, K3 wavemaker,

turn on the light just occasionally.

Everything seen fine now.

Will tsf some stock from my tank slowly...