1. 1. LIfe Span of your Hermit Crabs

• <3mths
    • 3~6mths
    • 6~12mths
    • 1~2years
    • >2years

• 1 month later...
Hi,

I think hermitcrab have limited lifespan, average is 2yrs only, so if they are adult size when u buy them, the most left 1yr plus inside your tank.

Is that true for most cases? I jus bought 2 adult crabs...let's see how long they live.

My Tank Journey

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member

have a question (sorry not part of the poll), i seem to have seen a hermit crab, out of it's shell, and just wondering inside the holes of one my LRs. will it be staying there for good ? haven't seen it come out yet, though i think it should be able to get out any of the holes if it wanted to. :paiseh:

25 Gal Micro Ocean

have a question (sorry not part of the poll), i seem to have seen a hermit crab, out of it's shell, and just wondering inside the holes of one my LRs. will it be staying there for good ? haven't seen it come out yet, though i think it should be able to get out any of the holes if it wanted to. :paiseh:

May be throw an empty shell near it...

Member of :
post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F

MASS in Facebook

Reefing in LED

lols. its most likely dead by now... a hermit crab without its shell is like a knight without his armour. Very vulnerable. If its still alive, throwing an empty shell near it will be the best cause of action, but what puzzles me would be why the crab came out of its shell in the first place?

• SRC Member

it's very much alive until now, everynight a flash a light into some holes, and I see it inside one of my LRs, just going around, like having a tunnel path :eyebrow:

it's hitchhike when i got my LRs, so not sure why it went out of it's shell :whistle

25 Gal Micro Ocean

• 5 months later...
  • SRC Member

i do agree that hermit withour shell is very likely to be dinner for fish.

just bought a electric blue hermit to add into my tank with an exsisting red scalet hermit.

too bad the exsisting red scalet fight with my new one for its shell.

and the new electric blue hermit disappear by the first night.

i had put in empty shell, but i think hermit are smart creatures that chose the nicer and more suitable shell to live in.

since than, dont dare to add in new ones to avoid death..... haha

• SRC Member

just bought a electric blue hermit to add into my tank with an exsisting red scalet hermit.

i had put in empty shell, but i think hermit are smart creatures that chose the nicer and more suitable shell to live in.

Once they set sight on one, they constantly go for it.. even if there are many other empty ones around. I had a hermit which eyed on one of the snail's shell.. I've seen it attacking the snail few times. I intervened and separated them at different corners for few times.. I even had many other empty ones around and the hermit is just not interested.. Then one day I saw the hermit happily in its new shell.. :angry2: .. you should have guessed which shell.. :angry2:

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

• SRC Member

i am surprised. Normally red scalet are smaller and more peaceful than electric blue.

Can't believe that the electric blue lost the fight!!

• SRC Member

I've had the chance to watch in interest, a fight between 2 electric blue legged hermits. They were pulling and tugging at each other, while trying their best to retract into their shells. The sounds produced from the knocking of shells caught my attention in the first place. It was quite loud! No casualties in the end, and they went their separate ways...

When i start 4yr ago in marine, i bought 20 red scalet hermit crab, now only left 1, i think they will fight among themselve unless there r plenty of food around.

5x2.5x1.5ft Rimless Dream Tank (06/03/12)
Skimmer - Reefoctupus

Return Pump - 1 x Eheim 1264, 1 x water blaster 7k
Wavemaker - 2 x mp40es
Chiller - Daikin compressor with coil drop in
Lighting - 4 x 80w T5 Pair 1(6hrs23/12/12),Pair 2(16/06/12312hrs 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (1/3/12) -(15/11/12)6hrs and 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (13/10/12) -6hrs)
Reactor - Dosing pump (01/01/11)

• 1 month later...