2ft linked tank (~200 litres)

peong

• SRC Member

Well, since left with this 2ft linked tank after recent decom-sale, so I started a new project for my marine hobby. The purpose of creating this thread is actually for my own progress tracking, nothing to show off as all are just cheap equipments remaining after the sale, hope that they were still serves purpose.

My Main Objectives:

1. Low cost

2. Set free from changing of water

3. Don't need chiller

4. Natural display

1st Target: Get Coraline algea grow on the dead rocks

Actions:

1. Using AquaPharm Pro Series A+B accordingly

2. On the 55w PL Lighting for 5 hrs every evening

Initial stage of appearance on the rocks in my main display tank (44cm x 44 x 65H) dated 10 Aug 09

post-3149-1249889220_thumb.jpg

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

My concept for this setup is using alot of LRs and sand bed to play as a denitrator in order to set free myself from changing of water, more water volume added in the container in order to maximize the LS in the display tank. Well, no hurry to proof how its result, just wait to see the coraline algea grows first. :upsidedown:

• SRC Member

Thank you peacemaker for your concern and suggestion, I do agree with you that the "extended" legs can be quite risky to an extend if someone may hit or push or even pull the leg and make the tall tank collapse. Well, as I don't have any kids at home so it's still safe to me. Occasionally, I do need to keep an eye when there is children visit to my hobby room, not only to take care of the "extended" legs, but wires n switches too. :upsidedown: Anyway, in my point of view, the "extended" legs are still firm enough to uphold the weight of the tall tank. :rolleyes:

Wow, another interesting development! :yeah: Its always good to see reefers coming out with new ideas in reefing, do share with us your developments. ;)

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member

I think your idea will work. My curent tank is a 2ftx1.5ft one on top of the other. the top tank is the main "display tank". The bottom is filled with a bucket of live rocks and coral chips. The outflow goes into the bucket. There is the room for the skimmer and then the return pump back up to the main tank. There is volumes of water and lots of live rocks. This way I only do water top up. No chiller. Using PL 2ft lighgts (2 white 1 blue) and the setup is good. The only problem I have is that even damsels can out grow my 2ft tank as my main 2ft display tank also have quite a lot of live rocks. For you, which will be your main display tank? The "tall" one? I believe this does have more swimming area for fishes.

Keeping posting, I am subscribing.

• SRC Member
I think your idea will work. My curent tank is a 2ftx1.5ft one on top of the other. the top tank is the main "display tank". The bottom is filled with a bucket of live rocks and coral chips. The outflow goes into the bucket. There is the room for the skimmer and then the return pump back up to the main tank. There is volumes of water and lots of live rocks. This way I only do water top up. No chiller. Using PL 2ft lighgts (2 white 1 blue) and the setup is good. The only problem I have is that even damsels can out grow my 2ft tank as my main 2ft display tank also have quite a lot of live rocks. For you, which will be your main display tank? The "tall" one? I believe this does have more swimming area for fishes.

Keeping posting, I am subscribing.

Thanks for your sharing bro, and also thanks for your posting on "Punggol Intertidal Walk 25 Jul 2009", I already told myself no to miss the next "super low tides" on 21 and 22 Aug, hope to see you there too. :eyebrow:

Yes, you r right, the taller tank is my main display, so far just one fat n big 6line inside (remaining LS after sale), :rolleyes: no specific LS planned for this tank yet, but it must be something new and challenging. :rolleyes: Any suggestion from you? Welcome your input!

• SRC Member

In next actions:

1. Introduce a fan (25w) for 24/7 to my quarantine tank, hopefully the temperature will able to maintain at 27-28 deg c. :wacko:

2. Add a tin layer of sand into the tall-tank so to gives more natural look and more options of LS to play in future.

• SRC Member
Thanks for your sharing bro, and also thanks for your posting on "Punggol Intertidal Walk 25 Jul 2009", I already told myself no to miss the next "super low tides" on 21 and 22 Aug, hope to see you there too. :eyebrow:

Yes, you r right, the taller tank is my main display, so far just one fat n big 6line inside (remaining LS after sale), :rolleyes: no specific LS planned for this tank yet, but it must be something new and challenging. :rolleyes: Any suggestion from you? Welcome your input!

Sorry bro, abit off topic.

Super low tides on 21 and 22 Aug, is it at punggol beach? And what time is the low tide?

Thanks!

Buying 2x2x2 tank cabinet with sump :) pm me!

• SRC Member
Hi there bro, sorry about the damsel hope its with someone taking really good care of it. Why not you keep seahorses and pipefish? Looks very ideal.

Temperature not achievable! :rolleyes:

• SRC Member

Temperature still maintains at 28.5 deg c with the cooling fan on, water top up another 4 litres, so, it's confirmed that each day I have to top up water about 7 litres, this is really toooooo much. :whistle:pinch: 28.5 deg c is not good enough either!!! :angry:

• SRC Member

I thought if you want to cool the water without the extar cost of a chiller, then go for this option: the Dolphin mini chiller, there is this post

WTS :two Dophin M789 Mini Chiller

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=81124

I am aware that this chiller is not very effective but in term of cost vs effectiveness - this is better than nothing. If cost but cooling of a 2ft tank, then this is a "low-cost" option.

Topping up 7 litres of water will create haywire on your water parameter every day. Unless you have a auto-water-top-up device, then this will be ok. But each day 4-7 litres in a lot.

• SRC Member
Hi bro!

sorry a little out of topic..

just want to enquire on the flow rate of the tank?(just starting out the marine hobby)

im setting up a tank (2x2 feet with 2feet sump)

Rio 20hf rated at 1290 gph, which abt 4880l/h, once to my tall tank i think is abt 3500-4000l/h. :rolleyes:

• SRC Member
I thought if you want to cool the water without the extar cost of a chiller, then go for this option: the Dolphin mini chiller, there is this post

WTS :two Dophin M789 Mini Chiller

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=81124

I am aware that this chiller is not very effective but in term of cost vs effectiveness - this is better than nothing. If cost but cooling of a 2ft tank, then this is a "low-cost" option.

Topping up 7 litres of water will create haywire on your water parameter every day. Unless you have a auto-water-top-up device, then this will be ok. But each day 4-7 litres in a lot.

Yes, need to do something, 28.5 deg c is no good, thx 4 your info.