Cost of setting a 4ft - 6ft Reef tank?

lyz77

• SRC Member

I'm keen in setting up a reef tank which is between 4ft to 6ft and will like to have a round up idea of the average cost and equipment require. Therefore, I hope that members out there can share with us their tank specification and the average cost incurred as a guide for everyone who are interested to setup a reef tank.

I understand that there is already an existing thread that indicate the type of equipment required and cost for each individual component. However, it will be more realistic to have those who had already had their tank setup to give a better reference.

Hopes that this thread won't violate any rule set by SRC! :fear:

:thanks:

• SRC Member

Hi. :lol: I am also thinking of upgrading and hence have done a bit of checking. The cost will depend on what you intend to keep but generally.

Tank+cabinet+hood 12mm 1100 - 1600 ( 4ft - 6ft)

Chiller 1100 - 1500 (1/2 - 1HP)

MH 250wattx2 or 3 400 - 1200 (industrial - commercial)

Return pump 220 - 800 ( Ehiem - Iwasaki)

Skimmer w/pump 100 - 1000 (wei pro w/pump-Aquac)

Coral Sand 6inch DSB 6/bag 72 - 108 (120 - 180kg)

Live rocks $5/kg 300 - 450 (60 - 90kg)

Test kit NO2,NO3,NH3,PO4 etc 60 - 120 (some - all)

Salt 20kg 60 - 100

Hydrometer 15

Powerhead 3-4 or 1 tunze 100 - 500

The cost to setup a 4/6ft will range from 3k - 5k or more. :angry:

• SRC Member

Safely , anything for 4ft and above just give it a $1000 per foot price tag.

This will include all the equipment,liverocks for start up.(maybe a little leftover for livestock too)

This also means you do the setup yourself and get to choose good equipment while doing so.

Going for certain second hand equipments e.g MH light sets,chillers and maybe a 2nd hand high end skimmer will save some costs and lower the overall budget.

• SRC Member
Prepare to spend at least $15 grand for a 6ft, more if you wanna set up an SPS coral tank.

:ooh: I assume that yr new 6ft tank cost ard tis price! :shock:

Well, I had initially work out smthing ard $5k 2 setup a reef tank but since I'm still new to tis hobby, need more time to do sm research and advise from expert out there to share with me their experience in reef keeping in order to minimize any unforeseen cost or death to the LS! Need to come out with sm budgeting system to figure out which equipment shd allocate more fund into!

It's seems like the difficult part is to kw hw 2 run the piping, overflow system, filter or etc according to your preference or should I say base on experience which will yell optimal result!

Any recommendation on when to get more information abt the phyical setup of the tanks?

• SRC Member
Prepare to spend at least $15 grand for a 6ft, more if you wanna set up an SPS coral tank.

I think what AT states is quite true. 5-7k to set up the enviroment and equiptment. The rest on corals and live stock. But probably can make do with 10k or so. Just think of how much the corals will cost. 6 ft can put a lot of corals!!!

Just spend money on tank first and get corals later a few at a time. Then you'll loose count and price no longer matter liaoz!! hia hiak,,, :evil::evil::evil::evil:

• SRC Member

:ooh: I assume that yr new 6ft tank cost ard tis price! :shock:

Well, I had initially work out smthing ard $5k 2 setup a reef tank but since I'm still new to tis hobby, need more time to do sm research and advise from expert out there to share with me their experience in reef keeping in order to minimize any unforeseen cost or death to the LS! Need to come out with sm budgeting system to figure out which equipment shd allocate more fund into!

It's seems like the difficult part is to kw hw 2 run the piping, overflow system, filter or etc according to your preference or should I say base on experience which will yell optimal result!

Any recommendation on when to get more information abt the phyical setup of the tanks?

your 5K is only enought for a 4x2x2 tank setup .... my 2'x2'x2' tank already cost me 1K w/o chiller & MH..... PS 2nd hand, LR 2nd hand,....

actually, a two feet can also go up to the thousands. (=

depends on what equipment you get. a six foot tank can be cheap as well what. if you understock the thing and stinge on a lot of equipment like lights and what have you.

the end result may look like garbage, but hey, different strokes for different folks! (=

• SRC Member

Can anyone contribute by providing the average cost for each and individual items? Eg.

Chiller: $600 - $1,500

Tank (4ft): $1,000 to $3,000

Reactor:...etc

Need to more or less get a average gauge on the equipment, else blur blur go & buy & kanna con by the LFS; like the one at serangoon which is next 2 petmart! :pirate: HEI DIAN!!! :pirate:

Wht really method is end of the day, the stuff I get is value for money and is worth the investment rather than letting the LFS telling you tat you need to buy this and tat and all the $$$$$$ will be like throwing into the sea......

• SRC Member
Agree with you...my 2 X 1.5 X 1 has cost me >1k !! and its only 3 month + since I started and its going to climb further with my introduction of sump tank and chiller.....but I must say....SONG AH!! really enjoying this hobby....haha

Agree!

• SRC Member

depends on what equipment you get. a six foot tank can be cheap as well what. if you understock the thing and stinge on a lot of equipment like lights and what have you.

the end result may look like garbage, but hey, different strokes for different folks! (=

A....why like that....pai say type into wrong place!! :lol:

Again!!

Agree with you...my 2 X 1.5 X 1 has cost me >1k !! and its only 3 month + since I started and its going to climb further with my introduction of sump tank and chiller.....but I must say....SONG AH!! really enjoying this hobby....haha

• SRC Member

i really think we dont need to spend the amount quoted to have a decent setup. is a matter of knowing where to buy your stuffs and not splurging unnecessarily. can easily knock off 20-30%.

if u go to a supplier and ask for marine tank, expect to be quoted a higher price but if you know what you need, juz ask for the tank according to your specs and you will find the pricing will be different.

in fact, stuffs for marine is way too high. people are juz capitalizing on this craze so do scout around and ask for cheaper sources.

also keep away from branded stuffs and ready made things. darn ex! mh is one good example. simple setup fr industrial supplier will not cost more than $500 but try buying those ready made ones... cheap cheap also almost 1k liao for 3 feet.