Question about filtering sequence

hi people,

I'm in process of setting up a tank (4x1.5x1.5 - courtesy of sis Ming69).

So far, I've gotten the tank & a Ehiem 2028. Am thinking of adding sump tank but am quite confused by the sequence of filtering.

When the water flows from the main tank to the sump tank, what filter should it goto first ? I read elsewhere that the water should be processed by a protein skimmer first, then filter through the mechanical, biological & ???? (one more is what huh? can't rem liao) then it goes to a reservoir then to a chiller then a pump to go back to the main tank. But yet when i see some sump setups, it seems to be filtered first then goto the protein skimmer. Which is right ?

Logically, if it's prefiltered first, then the skimmer don't have to work so hard ? So why not prefilter first ?

What is recommended for the sump media and how much ? i.e 3 kg LR, 1kg crushed oyster shells, stuff in 2in of cotton etc etc

• SRC Member

Logically, mechanical filter first. Fish sucked by overflow, end up in the first compartment at least maybe still can swim abit (stretch imagination abit), go to your protein skimmer? *shudders, milo milk* After skimmer, go to chiller and return back up to tank.

Moving on, you can choose to add biological filtration after your 1st compartment (mechanical). If you have enough live rocks in your tank, you can skip this. Or kiasu, add more LR, or Biohome, or bio balls etc. I would recommend Biohome. 1kg is more than enough. Next up, chemical filtration. Carbon, phosphate removing media are 2 more popular media that some reefers use. Can research more to see if it suits your style. They are typically placed after biological filtration. A more effective (expensive) approach is to use 2 x Fluidized reactor so you can adjust the different flow requirements of these media.

At the end of the day, KISS method works well. (Keep it simple) :) all the best! research research research! You're on the right track.

Yes tue..kep it simple.

For my sump, the overflow will go to filter wool to collect all the dirt. Then go to cheato farm or other nutrient export.

Then some water is pumped into skimmer to remove the proteins, and the skimmer return is throw back in the sump.

Then I have fluidised reactors for po4 and carbon GAC (now not in used) . Then I have a few kilos of (big version) biohome for denitrification purposes. Then some water is pumped into the chiller and returned back. Then water is pumped to the main tank.

Member of :
post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F

MASS in Facebook

Reefing in LED

• SRC Member
Yes tue..kep it simple.

For my sump, the overflow will go to filter wool to collect all the dirt. Then go to cheato farm or other nutrient export.

Then some water is pumped into skimmer to remove the proteins, and the skimmer return is throw back in the sump.

Then I have fluidised reactors for po4 and carbon GAC (now not in used) . Then I have a few kilos of (big version) biohome for denitrification purposes. Then some water is pumped into the chiller and returned back. Then water is pumped to the main tank.

hi rockyboy

how useful is biohome in addition to having more live rocks? was told to place some in the sump too. which colour did you buy? think got 2 types.

think is white vs orange brown. Think orange brown, etc is newer. subject to correction.

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

• SRC Member

the grey or red ones both serve the same function. Red ones more expensive because they contain extra elements or something like tt to encourage bacteria growth in new tanks. In my dictionary, it's pure marketing. I started my tank with the cheaper, grey ones and never looked back.

Live rocks, biohome, any of them serve the same function of biological filtration. Not enough LR? Biohome is a good addition you can put in sump. Kiasu? Have lots of live rocks and lots of biohome. You can utilize both in your tanks. Note that biohome recommends placement in cleaned water and in the dark.

Thanks for all the replies ! It was very helpful & detailed !

Then is there any recommended placement of filter media ? i.e mechanical first, followed by biological then chemical or in any order is fine ?

I intend to get my tank up and running as a fish only tank first then move on to corals, currently only have dried "live rocks" (dead? haha) in the tank.

Where is the cheapest place get live rocks ? Do you guys just stack it up or glue it on using aquarium expoxy ?

hi rockyboy

how useful is biohome in addition to having more live rocks? was told to place some in the sump too. which colour did you buy? think got 2 types.

My liferocks are already so much, yet I still put biohome. I always believe in more places for the bacteria to live in.

I bought the bigger type, normal colour, because I think the smaller type is not deep enough to house the aenerobic bacteria.

My previous setup having 8inches DSB. Really works in contolling nitrates. So this biohome is to compensate the non-dsb setup of my new tank.

Member of :

MASS in Facebook

Reefing in LED

Thanks for all the replies ! It was very helpful & detailed !

Then is there any recommended placement of filter media ? i.e mechanical first, followed by biological then chemical or in any order is fine ?

I intend to get my tank up and running as a fish only tank first then move on to corals, currently only have dried "live rocks" (dead? haha) in the tank.

Where is the cheapest place get live rocks ? Do you guys just stack it up or glue it on using aquarium expoxy ?

I would prefer to be mechanical first.

You can get 1 piece of good quality liverock from coralfarm, etc as a seed for your dead rocks. No need to expoxy your rocks. Make sure they do not topple easily.

Member of :

MASS in Facebook

Reefing in LED

• SRC Member

For me, i use filter wool in first compartment to collect all the bigger particles like uneaten food etc. then water will flow down still in same compartment full of LRs.

2nd compartment filled with LRs and chaeto and skimmer feeder.

3rd compartment is return pump (to tank & chiller), water returning from skimmer. water back from chiller goes directly to main tank.

still considering to use FR in 3rd compartment or to use algae scrubber

Project R.E.

Main Tank: 48" x 18" x 24" 12mm with external overflow piping

Sump Tank: 28" x 14.5" x 12" (3 compartments)

Lightings: T5 HO - Hopar 3* 39w + ATI 2* 54w

Skimmer: Skimz Bullet Beckett

Chiller: Resun CL-650 (28 - 29 °C)

Wavemakers: 2* Seio M620 + 1* Hydor K2 (7100 litre / hr)

Fluidized Reactor: Skimz FR (currently empty)

Pumps: 1x Rio 32HF (Skimmer), 1x Rio 20HF (Return & Chiller)

Filtration: more than 80kg LRs, chaeto

Water Circulation: ~ 4000 litre / hr

Future Plans: additional wavemaker, DIY algae scrubber, DIY overflow box

Previously:

Project R : 36" x 12" x 24" 10mm reef

Thanks for the helpful answers people, appreciate it !

i have been searching for LR pricing these few days and wow, they are expensive! A friend of mine who does diving and fish keeping told me it's dirt cheap from where he came from. I can't imagine paying $15/kg for LR ... makes me wanna goto the beach during low tide and get me own LR to cure ... :lol:

how much LR is recommended for a 4x2x2 anyway?

• SRC Member

Where did you get the price of $15/kg for LR? That's far too expensive already. Why don't you get the LR from the pasar malam section? How much LR you need depends on how you want to scape your tank. 50kg should be sufficient.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Chiller: Artica 1/5HP

Chiller Pump: Sicce 4000

Return Pump: OR3500

Skimmer: Deltec APF600

Wavemaker: Tunze Wavebox/2x Hydor K2/SCWD wavemaker

Lights: DElighting 2x150W MH + 2x 39W T5 Atinic

FR: Skimz

FR Pump: Atman AT-104

Tubby ATO, Kalkweisser Reactor with magnetic stirrer.

• SRC Member
Where did you get the price of $15/kg for LR? That's far too expensive already. Why don't you get the LR from the pasar malam section? How much LR you need depends on how you want to scape your tank. 50kg should be sufficient.

i believe he ask from coral farm....

• SRC Member
Thanks for the helpful answers people, appreciate it !

i have been searching for LR pricing these few days and wow, they are expensive! A friend of mine who does diving and fish keeping told me it's dirt cheap from where he came from. I can't imagine paying $15/kg for LR ... makes me wanna goto the beach during low tide and get me own LR to cure ... :lol:

how much LR is recommended for a 4x2x2 anyway?

for how much LR is needed depends on ur kind of scaping u wan....my 4 2 2 uses close to 100kg..... i bought new live rocks of 60kg thinking it's enuff, but after scaping, the tank look so empty....so i m adding my old rock from my current tank....

Well ... I think it's better I not name the shops but here's a listing of the prices I got :

Shops in west

LR : $15/kg

LS : $6/kg

Shops in East

LR : $8/kg but i gave them some dead "live rocks" so they sold me at $6/kg

Honestly speaking, the western LR looks much better than the Eastern LR in terms of live form i.e more coralline, algae etc.

Won't weight/water pressure be an issue if alot of LR is used?

I might be in the North-West area today and will check out CCK, LCK and Seletar if have time ...

Is there such thing as too much LR ?

* Forgot to add : Day One I asked the shop in the East : How much per kilo of LR ? They said $6/kg. Next day I went back to "trade in" my dead LR and they said "Oh since u gave me some LR, I charge u $6/kg instead of $8/kg". It could be a misunderstand as in they could have 2 different grades of LR @ 2 different prices but you can be sure that I will be watching closely what I buy from the shop in the East .... :eyebrow:

• SRC Member
Shops in East

LR : $8/kg but i gave them some dead "live rocks" so they sold me at $6/kg

Honestly speaking, the western LR looks much better than the Eastern LR in terms of live form i.e more coralline, algae etc.

Since the LFS could get dead rocks from you. What do you think they will do with them??? :rolleyes:

$15 per kg?? WOW

normal live rocks should be about $8/kg from LFS.

missed the good old days where they were $4/kg :mellow:

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

I bought from Pasir Ris farm $5/kg for small size LR.

nice. Good to know that sanity persists in this crazy economic conditions.

Personally I prefer getting rocks from reefers here.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member
Hi bros,

can someone enlighten me what is the different between ceramic ring and biohome? they look similar and serve the same purpose which is to culture bateria.

Look similar but made from totally different materials if I am not mistaken. Ceramic rings are not porous so it is not recommended to be used as a bio filtration.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Chiller: Artica 1/5HP

Chiller Pump: Sicce 4000

Return Pump: OR3500

Skimmer: Deltec APF600

Wavemaker: Tunze Wavebox/2x Hydor K2/SCWD wavemaker

Lights: DElighting 2x150W MH + 2x 39W T5 Atinic

FR: Skimz

FR Pump: Atman AT-104

Tubby ATO, Kalkweisser Reactor with magnetic stirrer.