locally bred h.kuda fries

pagasus1

1 can suggest on the basic requirements, as for the aesthestics, u may like to look at some good examples in other websites on seahorse rearing.

1. 2 ft high tank

2. good canister filter with UV sterlier

3. good quality sea salt

4. lighitng

5. protein skimmer

6. hitching post

bare tank system is the simplest to rear them, i wont advise live rocks unless they r completely cleaned of other crustacens n host which may attack the gentle seahorses.

howver as u gain more experience, u like to include live sand n living macro algae.

Hi,

Can u show us the photo of your tank?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 can suggest on the basic requirements, as for the aesthestics, u may like to look at some good examples in other websites on seahorse rearing.

1. 2 ft high tank

2. good canister filter with UV sterlier

3. good quality sea salt

4. lighitng

5. protein skimmer

6. hitching post

bare tank system is the simplest to rear them, i wont advise live rocks unless they r completely cleaned of other crustacens n host which may attack the gentle seahorses.

howver as u gain more experience, u like to include live sand n living macro algae.

how long the water cycle need for seahorse tank? as well what kind of hitching post is suitable for seahorse? some of the small rock as a base to the tank is suitable for seahorse or not?

Keep me inform when selling

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

• 2 weeks later...

hi, thank you for your patience and interest .

currently awaiting inspection by Cites regulatory dept of AVA, as seahorses are in protected in appendix 2, hence a letter of transfer will be issued to each purchaser of these locally captive bred seahorses.

estimated date may be about christmas. The price for each seahorse will be S$30 per piece.

all the seahorses are weaned off to frozen feed.

geninue buyers can leave a message at my mailbox n i will get back to you soon.

hi, thank you for your patience and interest .

currently awaiting inspection by Cites regulatory dept of AVA, as seahorses are in protected in appendix 2, hence a letter of transfer will be issued to each purchaser of these locally captive bred seahorses.

estimated date may be about christmas. The price for each seahorse will be S$30 per piece.

all the seahorses are weaned off to frozen feed.

geninue buyers can leave a message at my mailbox n i will get back to you soon.

What? I think you need to clarify this with AVA before you pay them $ for nothing. You mentioned locally bred seahorses, not imported. Why in the world would you need CITES papers to sell locally produced seahorses when CITES is used to regulate international trade? There are no restrictions of trade of Appendix II species on a local context. If there are, won't farms selling corals have to issue letter of transfers to each individual who buys a coral which is under Appendix II? In short, you only need CITES permits if you intend to export. Local sales can be done without any CITES permit.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member
What? I think you need to clarify this with AVA before you pay them $ for nothing. You mentioned locally bred seahorses, not imported. Why in the world would you need CITES papers to sell locally produced seahorses when CITES is used to regulate international trade? There are no restrictions of trade of Appendix II species on a local context. If there are, won't farms selling corals have to issue letter of transfers to each individual who buys a coral which is under Appendix II? In short, you only need CITES permits if you intend to export. Local sales can be done without any CITES permit.

I totally agree wif FuEl, only export or import u need to apply CITES from AVA, locally bred within SRC hobby interest there is nothing deal wif AVA control, unless u r registered as a LFS seller in Singapore then u may have certain control by them I guess. :rolleyes: Please double check wif them, our busness here is all about sharing hobby, NOT involve in commercial dealing.

hi fuel n peong,

As seahorse trade is regulated by CITES and being a endangered fish under protection in appendix II, the formality is required by CITES Section, Wildlife Regulatory Branch, Agri-Food & Veterinary Authority. Since day 1 when the current brood of seahorse were produced , i have been in consultation with authorities(AVA).

you the buyer( hobbyist) does not have to apply for any permit.

The 'letter of transfer' is the paper work ,that any responsible captive breeder of seahorse have to do, this will ensure to you, the seahorse you buy from us is truly captive bred. The letter of transfer also help CITES to monitor the seahorse trade.

There is no charge for the letter of transfer.

If my entire lot of locally bred seahorses are to be exported, than i will have to apply for Cites permit.

hope this information clarifies.

hi fuel n peong,

As seahorse trade is regulated by CITES and being a endangered fish under protection in appendix II, the formality is required by CITES Section, Wildlife Regulatory Branch, Agri-Food & Veterinary Authority. Since day 1 when the current brood of seahorse were produced , i have been in consultation with authorities(AVA).

you the buyer( hobbyist) does not have to apply for any permit.

The 'letter of transfer' is the paper work ,that any responsible captive breeder of seahorse have to do, this will ensure to you, the seahorse you buy from us is truly captive bred. The letter of transfer also help CITES to monitor the seahorse trade.

There is no charge for the letter of transfer.

If my entire lot of locally bred seahorses are to be exported, than i will have to apply for Cites permit.

hope this information clarifies.

Interesting. Does this mean that every consumer who buys the seahorse will get a letter of transfer like the certificates given out when you buy an Arowana? Best part is that the letter is free! Adds a brand to the seahorse. :eyebrow:

Btw, the only seahorse considered endangered is Hippocampus capensis. H. kuda is not considered endangered as yet. Being CITES-listed does not automatically confer an endangered status.

http://www.iucnredlist.org/apps/redlist/details/10075/0

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

hi fuel,

1. yes, you are right, each buyer will get a 'letter of transfer' for each purchase of the seahorses.

actually this whole process is more work for me , to the buyer its just like having a pet with a certified birth cert! ;-)

the AVA will not go to any buyers house to check or inspect etc.

2. well, no matter what specie of seahorse it is, a seahorse is a seahorse to the authorities and they have preferred to treat all under the same strict control.

3. i guess the authorities DO NOT want a situation when a rogue trader would issue letter of transfers for 1000 pcs of fish when only 500pcs were presented for the inspection. so where did the 'extras' came from and if the 'extras' were exported under the guise of captive bred seahorses.....

• 1 month later...

hi frens,

sorry for not keep updated on the local bred n raised H. kuda as i was away for work.

will be posting lastest pics tmr and they all def ready for sale. Please do resent your orders to me again.

i think we have to meet somewhere convenient where i can hand over the seahorses.