Chris 5 x 2 x 2.5 Tank

Peihao83

hi bro, glad u stay on. The lightset will have no problem in hitting your sand bed, in fact, using T5 will also hit your sand bed but the question is what you intend to keep and whether you are looking to achieve those shimmering effect. Bear in mind, using MH will generate more heat and more electricity due to chiller requirement and make sure you have setup to cut off the MH if there is any failure to power, etc. For SPS lovers and shimmering effect lover, personally, i think MH is still the best(unless you want to try for LED which i have no comment on its effectiveness as i am not a user....). If you decide to go for the MH, make sure you measure and ensure yr cabinet can fit the rack....if not, you might need some DIY to house it.....all the best.

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi bro, glad u stay on. The lightset will have no problem in hitting your sand bed, in fact, using T5 will also hit your sand bed but the question is what you intend to keep and whether you are looking to achieve those shimmering effect. Bear in mind, using MH will generate more heat and more electricity due to chiller requirement and make sure you have setup to cut off the MH if there is any failure to power, etc. For SPS lovers and shimmering effect lover, personally, i think MH is still the best(unless you want to try for LED which i have no comment on its effectiveness as i am not a user....). If you decide to go for the MH, make sure you measure and ensure yr cabinet can fit the rack....if not, you might need some DIY to house it.....all the best.

thanks bro for the advise.. what about some clams, mushrooms, prata on the sandbed? can they survive without mh?

they definitely need light. Their demand for light varies and you have to adjust according to their likings. For MH, u can be rest assured the sand bed can be supported. For T5, some demanding LPS might not do well if you place them on sand bed as your tank is 2.5. Having said these, i do konw ppl who kept prata just using T5 LO in a 2ft height tank but the placement is mid to top of the tank. For SPS, intense lighting is fine but for some LPS, intense lighting is likely to breach them.

If you dont mind the heat, chiller requirement, contingency setup and electrical bill, go for MH with supplement of some blue T5. Just my personal opinion.

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Algae Scrubbler

• SRC Member

Welcome back chris... :P

Now pls show us your new rockscape... :D Jacky says that he will help you with your rockscape if you need any help... B)

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Chiller: Artica 1/5HP

Chiller Pump: Sicce 4000

Return Pump: OR3500

Skimmer: Deltec APF600

Wavemaker: Tunze Wavebox/2x Hydor K2/SCWD wavemaker

Lights: DElighting 2x150W MH + 2x 39W T5 Atinic

FR: Skimz

FR Pump: Atman AT-104

Tubby ATO, Kalkweisser Reactor with magnetic stirrer.

• SRC Member

Peihao83 > u might want to consider re-locating ur chiller. As the atmosphere/moisture inside the sump area are higher in salt level content (not sure if this is the rite term to use), the air taken in by the chiller will most likely corrode the internal parts of the chiller faster as compared to one that is located outside this area. I know salt dun evaporate but it's true that the moisture from salt water is def higher in it's acidic level as compared to fresh water.

For ur consideration.

Welcome back chris... :P

Now pls show us your new rockscape... :D Jacky says that he will help you with your rockscape if you need any help... B)

wah.. kena volunteered..... something is wrong, away from work, in leisurely forum also kena arrow.....

need to go take flower bath.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member
wah.. kena volunteered..... something is wrong, away from work, in leisurely forum also kena arrow.....

need to go take flower bath.

Who arrow you??? :eyebrow:

U say u will help one wat...anyway I think he will be getting Iwarna to do his rockscape... :D

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Who arrow you??? :eyebrow:

U say u will help one wat...anyway I think he will be getting Iwarna to do his rockscape... :D

provided he dun decide to keep freshwater or convert it to a pond now. Pengzzzzzz lol

(sorry cannot help it Chris)

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member
provided he dun decide to keep freshwater or convert it to a pond now. Pengzzzzzz lol

(sorry cannot help it Chris)

Dun think so lah. Want a few more days and see whether Iwarna rescape his tank or not then we know lor... :upsidedown:

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• SRC Member
HI GUYS, HOW U GUYS THINK OF BELOW LIGHTSET? SUITABLE FOR MY TANK? CAN THE LIGHT HIT THE SAND BED?

2 x Lumenarc L3 Reflectors ( 14.5" x 14.5" x 6.5" (L x B x H).)

2x250W SE Reeflux bulbs ( fired ~6 hours every day)

Ballasts included + 4 feet Aluminium stand.

Good condition : 9/10

Used less than 1 year, about 9 months. Selling for $400.

Welcome back to reefing. Glad you kept the tank.

You already have a set of new 4xT5 lights right? lf i were you, l will continue to use these 4 T5 which are sufficient for fowlr (which i will recommend for you to start off due to your busy overseas work) or simple reef tank (soft corals & some LPS). Dun waste extra money already into more lights, esp MH which is really not a must for most corals. Further, if yr chiller suddenly malfunction when you are not around, your tank inhabitants could be 'cooked'. There are already few of such cases. And not to mentioned the amount of electricity consumed by your lights and chiller too. Start slow and easy, then go for advanced when you have more time and experience.

• SRC Supporter

i would go for tunze.

your tank is 2 side view, 1 side is overflow compartment. your vortec quite hard to position.

alot of reefers will tell u vortec is better, less heat, wider spread.

infact, vortec cannot put anywhere u wan like tunze where u can angle it to face anywhere.

tunze mag can be place even in overflow area but vortec cant.

tunze is not even hot,so why worry abt the heat? esp with chiller.

the wide flow may give u problem putting corals bcos your tank is long, u need good strong flow to push the water arnd and down the overflow area. with such a wide and strong flow, corals within 1ft away from the vortec will get hit badly. to think that we already need to limit our space placing some corals due to lighting and flow, why get yourself to even more restriction with such a pump.

last of all, its good to place vortec on ur side area so the water ontop esp layer of oil due to feeding can be flush into the overflow compartment. however, placing too high up and the vortec may suck in air from the top giving out microbubble often where else tunze can place it lower and angle it in a way that ur flow go upwards or downwards to get reflected flow which are not so deadly to corals and still able to produce enough current for your tank :)

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed

• SRC Supporter

regarding your lighting, i would suggest you to go for T5, either ATI or giesseman fixture. since u already throw so much $ in.

dont stop half way,but u must know what you want to keep.

best effect so far is T5+MH.

but getting T5s have more option on how white/blue you want your tank to be.

when u come for the wavebox i tell u more abt it.

:)

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed

HI GUYS, HOW U GUYS THINK OF BELOW LIGHTSET? SUITABLE FOR MY TANK? CAN THE LIGHT HIT THE SAND BED?

2 x Lumenarc L3 Reflectors ( 14.5" x 14.5" x 6.5" (L x B x H).)

2x250W SE Reeflux bulbs ( fired ~6 hours every day)

Ballasts included + 4 feet Aluminium stand.

Good condition : 9/10

Used less than 1 year, about 9 months. Selling for $400.

i think he changed his mind already .....

Humble tank :

Size: 4x2.5x2 ft - Display 

Equipment :

Return 1 : Ecotech marine L1

Return 2 : Ecotech marine M1

CR : Skimz CM122 - Caribsea extra course media with Grotech magnesium

Light : ATI 8x54W

• SRC Member
i would go for tunze.

your tank is 2 side view, 1 side is overflow compartment. your vortec quite hard to position.

alot of reefers will tell u vortec is better, less heat, wider spread.

infact, vortec cannot put anywhere u wan like tunze where u can angle it to face anywhere.

tunze mag can be place even in overflow area but vortec cant.

tunze is not even hot,so why worry abt the heat? esp with chiller.

the wide flow may give u problem putting corals bcos your tank is long, u need good strong flow to push the water arnd and down the overflow area. with such a wide and strong flow, corals within 1ft away from the vortec will get hit badly. to think that we already need to limit our space placing some corals due to lighting and flow, why get yourself to even more restriction with such a pump.

last of all, its good to place vortec on ur side area so the water ontop esp layer of oil due to feeding can be flush into the overflow compartment. however, placing too high up and the vortec may suck in air from the top giving out microbubble often where else tunze can place it lower and angle it in a way that ur flow go upwards or downwards to get reflected flow which are not so deadly to corals and still able to produce enough current for your tank :)

lol I like my Vortech, but I think if you have the $$, why not go for the controllable Tunzes? :) Reddevilz already pointed out quite a few advantages the Tunze has over Vortech. But in any case, both are good wavemakers. :)

• SRC Member
lol I like my Vortech, but I think if you have the $$, why not go for the controllable Tunzes? :) Reddevilz already pointed out quite a few advantages the Tunze has over Vortech. But in any case, both are good wavemakers. :)

I think he is taking the Tunze wavebox... :eyebrow:

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

hope you understand the difference between wavebox and wave maker. Happy reefing.

Algae Scrubbler

• SRC Member
Had kept in comms with irwana victor.. he will be rescaping my tank. hopefully on this weekend..

And i will be using 6 tubes of 80w t5.. it will be a LPS tank..

Now thinking of buying a wavebox n a wavemaker.. vortech or tuze?

Post the pic after Iwarna has rescaped your tank... :P

Errr...U getting wavebox & wavemaker??? I was thinking 2 wavemakers and a controller would be sufficient for your tank... :)

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Hi all, FTS here.. I will rescape again lo.. dun look really nice leh.. Temp leave the tonga there first.

Damn tired n blur already after two days of tank work..

DSC00978.jpg

DSC00979.jpg

DSC00980.jpg

Very Neat setup especially the plug.. Hope mine can be as neat too.. :eyeblur:

• SRC Member
Feedback

I have problems with the tunze 6101 pumps. The transformer keep failing. Have replaced 2 within 1.5 years. Each is about $70+.

Not sure on the vortex reliability though.

How is the reliability with the new 6105?

u should open your own thread bro... Tunzes are known for their reliability. New units have 1 year warranty, and if yours are 2nd hand, you never know what the previous owner did.

• SRC Supporter

if you got it from reliable lfs and you did not damange it yourself, i do not see why they charge u.

not saying that they are right or you are wrong, but some stuffs can be checked.

the 6105 are very reliable as the 6101 was in the market for very short while due to their transformer problem therefore 6105 came out in no time.

i was a owner of both 6100,6105,wavebox and vortec.

ended up i sold the vortec and 1 pcs of 6100 together at 1 point.

reason is bcos both are hard to angle and cause alot of inconvinence.

a reefer i know have alot of problem with the vortec,he got it new and when back to the lfs to exchange for 2times with this current model.

myself was also affected when i got my 1st gen of vortec. i went back 2 times on a same day to get it fixed.

the wavebox: is to create a non-deadspot area which will not allow no3 to build up due to die offs and decays of dead/uneaten stuffs.

the wavemaker: to create flow for certain corals and fish as that is their requirement.

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed

• SRC Member

Chris, has Iwarna scaped your tank yet? Post pics of your new rock scape... :P

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• SRC Member
Chris

Yours scaping done yet?

rgds

Jacky

His tank not scaped yet. Probably within the next few days... :eyebrow:

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List: