New to hobby

how come cycling period is only 2 weeks when using synthetic salt mix? Don't cut short the cycling process.

Yes, nano tanks can be kept. But more discipline and husbandry needed. The other option of course is to replace your tank inhabitants every few months coz tank always crash. <_<

Another point to take note of. 20% water change every week is stressful for corals and fish. The signs are v. obvious when you do your water change. It would be better to do 10% every 3-4 days. Like I said, more hard work for smaller tanks.

I mentioned test the water parameters first, if everythings ok den can start slowly adding livestock, and add slowly. But well if not the cycling period has to extend, up to a month. I'm the more impatient kind, which is not a good example for new reefer.

thanks digiman. i do come across other reefers (esp in setting up nano tanks) who follow the same procedures as u, many whom don't even have a skimmer, using only live rock and live sand as only source of filtration. but i'm not using live sand, heard normal sand will still be as good after cycling, i hope my IOS helps.

btw, wad do u mean by conditioner? and what type of snails should i get? i think 1-2 for my 6gallon tank is enuf right?

Try to get the highest quality live sand and live rocks possible, it helps in faster cycling and starting up of bacteria colony. It's not wise to save on this area as it's especially important for stability of such a small tank. Also try to get as much liverocks as possible. Anyway sand is not a mux.

Water conditioner ae those those antichlorine bottles that can help remove the chlorine, chloramine, neutralise heavy metals etc. Go to any LFS and they'll be selling them, it should be cheap.

If u dun keep sand, den no need snails. Hermits are enough. Snails are more for stirring the sandbed and grazing algae of the tank wall. Anyway there are many kinds of snails, astraea, turbo, trochus etc, but any kind also doesn't matter. jux get 2-3 small ones.

and i agree it's gonna be more hard work, makes me really more and more tempted to get a bigger tank..but bigger tank = better to get chiller?

Big tank also a lot of hard work because we tend to overstock and also mux keep up with water change, and bigger the tank, more laborious the water change is. Also the chiller, the skimmer, the bigger pumps and better lights etc can be v costly (thousands of dollars for good brands) and constitute to high electricity bill. So cheaper maintainance of a nano is a pro.

For a nano, the biggest challenge will be good discipline in stocking. There'll be many beautiful fishes and corals u've to learn to resist their temptation as they are jux not suitable to be in a nano. Other than that if u keep to a low bioload, good quality liverocks etc the system can be v easy to maintain. Actually how much and requent water change depends on the parameters of the tank. If u've good discipline, water change can also be quite slack. So all in all, u need to test the parameters of your tank frequently, parameters for small tank fluctuates more than big tanks, and that's a con.

I agree with Digiman, just use those hang on type of filters can do, this is what i used when first started out. but since u have IOS, even better, can put carbon media (with nylon bag) inside.

if u worried, can add in those airstone old school type of skimmers (i have a few lying around).

Get few big pieces of liverock, add water, add sand (live anot not an issue, cos after cycling 1 month everything is live).

Use salt mix change water every 1-2 weeks, 10% shld be enough. DO NOT DO WATER CHANGE WHILE CYCLING TANK.

And dechlorinator additive to remove chlorine before mixing water. No need RO or DI.

Then ensure u have good lightings, can even utilise an algae scrubber inside ur IOS. I saw one bro using this to keep his nitrate in check.

After 1 month, test if parameters ok, then add in nano fishes such as gobies, clowns (skunk or ocellaris, no others), blennys etc. Tangs not advisable.

Cleanup crew can include sand star, turbo snails, hermits, shld be good to go.

Corals since the tank is small, parameters sure fluctuate and no chiller, try to keep simple n hardy ones like mushies, zoas, gsp etc.

Most importantly is got discipline to do good husbandry la. Hope this helps :)

thanks loads. the carbon is to help get rid of the nitrates right?

• SRC Member

Carbon more for removing impurities, making ur water clearer n not so yellowish.

To tackle nitrate, most effective way is algae scrubber. In fact I've seen 2 not 1 succesful ones in keeping nitrate low.

But digiman, no sand then no need snails? IMO snails dun realli go tog with sand leh, never seen my snails stirring sand

Project R.E.

Main Tank: 48" x 18" x 24" 12mm with external overflow piping

Sump Tank: 28" x 14.5" x 12" (3 compartments)

Lightings: T5 HO - Hopar 3* 39w + ATI 2* 54w

Skimmer: Skimz Bullet Beckett

Chiller: Resun CL-650 (28 - 29 °C)

Wavemakers: 2* Seio M620 + 1* Hydor K2 (7100 litre / hr)

Fluidized Reactor: Skimz FR (currently empty)

Pumps: 1x Rio 32HF (Skimmer), 1x Rio 20HF (Return & Chiller)

Filtration: more than 80kg LRs, chaeto

Water Circulation: ~ 4000 litre / hr

Future Plans: additional wavemaker, DIY algae scrubber, DIY overflow box

Previously:

Project R : 36" x 12" x 24" 10mm reef

• SRC Member

Sikiee, for ur coral buying, will be very nice if u just concentrate on getting frags of lps. Just my opinion

Project R.E.

Previously:

thanks loads. the carbon is to help get rid of the nitrates right?

Carbon get rid of a whole range of impurities, both organic and inorganic. But for nitrate removal easiest is water change for a small system, so mux change water. Algae scrubber are good for bigger system and too much hassle for nano as no sump.

Carbon more for removing impurities, making ur water clearer n not so yellowish.

To tackle nitrate, most effective way is algae scrubber. In fact I've seen 2 not 1 succesful ones in keeping nitrate low.

But digiman, no sand then no need snails? IMO snails dun realli go tog with sand leh, never seen my snails stirring sand

Certain snails like the nassarius will forever be buried in sandbed foraging for food. I prefer hermit. Tank wall i can clean it myself.

• SRC Member
Certain snails like the nassarius will forever be buried in sandbed foraging for food. I prefer hermit. Tank wall i can clean it myself.

hmmm then who clean rocks?

prob some trochus to clean the rocks will be good. Or maybe a tuxedo urchin would be good too (If you don't mind it rearranging your frags)

• SRC Member

I prefer mixture of hermit n snails. Urchins are effective at clearing hair algae but troublesome if u have frags. Mine has been sticking a zoa frag permanently to it's back :(

Project R.E.

Previously:

• SRC Member
I prefer mixture of hermit n snails. Urchins are effective at clearing hair algae but troublesome if u have frags. Mine has been sticking a zoa frag permanently to it's back :(

haha. cute. but i thought they say be careful in having both hermits and snails together ? because the hermit may eventually vacate his shell and target the snail ? :mellow:

25 Gal Micro Ocean

haha. cute. but i thought they say be careful in having both hermits and snails together ? because the hermit may eventually vacate his shell and target the snail ? :mellow:

I nvr kept a hermit before but hearsay that you can drop a couple of empty shells to avoid them from cannibalising the snails.

BTW, I need CUC. If any of you come across nice CUC, pls let me know.

My hairy algae is booming.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member

Welcome Welcome.

A 1 ft tank is what I have when I started, with many lessons learn.

Things I will do:

1. Increase water volume by using a good canister/sump setup.

2. Minimal cycling, if you just grab some water-changed water from reputable reefers which they do monthly/weekly. FOC

3. Do without or minimal lightings but keep Sun-flower corals, if doing a reef tank. They are beautiful. Place it near windows, alway from direct sunlight. Algae will be minimal...

Good luck

Equipment:

30G Corner Tank with 10G Sump, 2 x 24W artinic T5, 1 x 24W 10K, 1x 24W 20K, 3" Grade 0 sand & Live rocks, Activated Carbon, Bio-home, 2 x Seio M620, Hailea 1/2HP Chiller, Redsea Pro Skimmer

Live Stock:

Turbo Snail x 1, Green Mandarin Dragonet X 2, Blue Tang X 2, True percular x 2, 1 x Algae Bleenie, Clarke clown x 2

Reef:

1 x 2" Blue maxima, Red/Brown/Purple Mushroom (Discosoma), Pink Ricordea yuma, A little colony Brown/Green common Zoanthus, Red/Pink/Green US Zoanthus, Eagle-eye Zoathus, 14 Branch Goniopora Pandoraensis, 1 Starburst Polyps, 3 + 2 Branch Frogspawn, 4 Blasto, palythoa, Cheato

RIPs (Since June 2005):

1. Sabae clown (KO by Clarke clown) 2. 1 branch melted frogspawn 4 branch 3. Golden maxima (Ripe the base off rock by me) 4. Algae Bleenie x 2 (Starvation) 5. Blue Maxima x 1, 2 x Maxima, 1 x frogspawn, rics (Overtemp...)

Old 30G Corner Tank.

Restarted 30G Corner Tank.

• SRC Member

I second bro. nakazoru. I like the idea of minimal lighting setup, simple yet the sun corals can be stunning. Use a strong canister, with sucha small volume, you will be able to achieve a high turnover rate of >25times/hour.

---------------------------------------------

The Deep Blue Sea in My HDB!

http://myfishyroomates.blogspot.com

I second bro. nakazoru. I like the idea of minimal lighting setup, simple yet the sun corals can be stunning. Use a strong canister, with sucha small volume, you will be able to achieve a high turnover rate of >25times/hour.

can elaborate "minimal lighting setup"?

i think i read abt this somewhere too..

While waiting for your tank to be cycled, pls read as much as possible from the web so that you know the proper husbandry, get the correct live stocks for the small tank, etc.

Not easy for nano, took me a long time for the water parameters to get stable.

Member of :
post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F

MASS in Facebook

Reefing in LED

• SRC Member

Sun corals can thrive in total shade, hence the minimal lighting. But need high maintenance in feeding. If going skinmerless not such good idea.

Project R.E.

Previously:

and jus to add,its a very additive hobby,cos u will developed ichy fingers,(not scractchy ones)but wants to change placement of ur corals.HaHa!!!,and will begin to shop around for more corals,and finally u will planned to decomm so u can upgrade.Oops !! jus joking but dat actually happens to me.Happy Reefing Sis.

Sun corals can thrive in total shade, hence the minimal lighting. But need high maintenance in feeding. If going skinmerless not such good idea.

maybe get just 1 head or 2 head type and do minimal feeding each time but more frequent (3 times a week)

should be okay. Why not get a simple airstone skimmer? having one is better than none.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member

How's the tank cycling?

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)