hi..can anyone help?

jtsojt

• SRC Member

More info will be good. how long have you had your tank? current inhabitants, water parameters, etc...

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

• SRC Member

How big is your tank? has it been cycled properly?

Your tank seem to immature for LPS. Check your water parameters and adjust accordingly.

Also, LPS are hard to keep above temperature of 28 degrees Celsius.

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

• SRC Member
How big is your tank? has it been cycled properly?

Your tank seem to immature for LPS. Check your water parameters and adjust accordingly.

Also, LPS are hard to keep above temperature of 28 degrees Celsius.

my tank only 1ft..and i keep inside my room and the temperature is around 26 to 27..seldom goes up till 28...btw lps stand for?

• SRC Member

If you add coral after 1 month, I must say you are quite a newbie in reef. My guess is that you probably do not measure your water too much.

Take it with a pinch of salt. Keep your finger cross, and please do not buy any corals for now.

If you have enough lights, you can rule that out and focus on the immature water parameter. Simply put the button does not like the environment it is in.

Water parameters goes beyond NO2, NO4, ammonia, or whatever else we measure.

The first thing in my beliefs is that the tank has to be ALIVE. ALIVE means it has abundance of micro-organism not visible to us... which your tank lacks.

A good chance the coral is now gone.

Equipment:

30G Corner Tank with 10G Sump, 2 x 24W artinic T5, 1 x 24W 10K, 1x 24W 20K, 3" Grade 0 sand & Live rocks, Activated Carbon, Bio-home, 2 x Seio M620, Hailea 1/2HP Chiller, Redsea Pro Skimmer

Live Stock:

Turbo Snail x 1, Green Mandarin Dragonet X 2, Blue Tang X 2, True percular x 2, 1 x Algae Bleenie, Clarke clown x 2

Reef:

1 x 2" Blue maxima, Red/Brown/Purple Mushroom (Discosoma), Pink Ricordea yuma, A little colony Brown/Green common Zoanthus, Red/Pink/Green US Zoanthus, Eagle-eye Zoathus, 14 Branch Goniopora Pandoraensis, 1 Starburst Polyps, 3 + 2 Branch Frogspawn, 4 Blasto, palythoa, Cheato

RIPs (Since June 2005):

1. Sabae clown (KO by Clarke clown) 2. 1 branch melted frogspawn 4 branch 3. Golden maxima (Ripe the base off rock by me) 4. Algae Bleenie x 2 (Starvation) 5. Blue Maxima x 1, 2 x Maxima, 1 x frogspawn, rics (Overtemp...)

Old 30G Corner Tank.

Restarted 30G Corner Tank.

If you add coral after 1 month, I must say you are quite a newbie in reef. My guess is that you probably do not measure your water too much.

Take it with a pinch of salt. Keep your finger cross, and please do not buy any corals for now.

If you have enough lights, you can rule that out and focus on the immature water parameter. Simply put the button does not like the environment it is in.

Water parameters goes beyond NO2, NO4, ammonia, or whatever else we measure.

The first thing in my beliefs is that the tank has to be ALIVE. ALIVE means it has abundance of micro-organism not visible to us... which your tank lacks.

A good chance the coral is now gone.

just to ask, when do u think is the best time to add in corals after the tank is cycled? fishes or corals first?

• SRC Member

But also cannot put many fishes in at the same time. Especially tangs because they poop so much.

You can put corals in also but u need to give the corals time to acclamatise because the water parameters in the LFS will definately be different from that in your home.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Chiller: Artica 1/5HP

Chiller Pump: Sicce 4000

Return Pump: OR3500

Skimmer: Deltec APF600

Wavemaker: Tunze Wavebox/2x Hydor K2/SCWD wavemaker

Lights: DElighting 2x150W MH + 2x 39W T5 Atinic

FR: Skimz

FR Pump: Atman AT-104

Tubby ATO, Kalkweisser Reactor with magnetic stirrer.

• SRC Member
But also cannot put many fishes in at the same time. Especially tangs because they poop so much.

You can put corals in also but u need to give the corals time to acclamatise because the water parameters in the LFS will definately be different from that in your home.

Agree. But don't think many bros here acclimatize our corals. Just remove from plastic bag and into the tank it goes. I try to do either a FW dip or TMPCC dip to get rid of possible hitchhikers before introducing into tank. Putting corals on the drip may sound quite extreme, but I think I will practice tt on the harder to keep corals in future. There was a thread by bro Fuel recently indicating it does increases the chances of keeping less hardy corals.

• SRC Member
Agree. But don't think many bros here acclimatize our corals. Just remove from plastic bag and into the tank it goes. I try to do either a FW dip or TMPCC dip to get rid of possible hitchhikers before introducing into tank. Putting corals on the drip may sound quite extreme, but I think I will practice tt on the harder to keep corals in future. There was a thread by bro Fuel recently indicating it does increases the chances of keeping less hardy corals.

Most people don't but then most corals are hardy enough to survive if the fluctuation is not too great.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Chiller: Artica 1/5HP

Chiller Pump: Sicce 4000

Return Pump: OR3500

Skimmer: Deltec APF600

Wavemaker: Tunze Wavebox/2x Hydor K2/SCWD wavemaker

Lights: DElighting 2x150W MH + 2x 39W T5 Atinic

FR: Skimz

FR Pump: Atman AT-104

Tubby ATO, Kalkweisser Reactor with magnetic stirrer.

oh, what's a FW dip or TMPCC dip? do u do anything to ur live rocks too to get rid of hitchhikers? because i simply placed the LR into my tank. i tot some hitchhikers are good?

• SRC Member
oh, what's a FW dip or TMPCC dip? do u do anything to ur live rocks too to get rid of hitchhikers? because i simply placed the LR into my tank. i tot some hitchhikers are good?

no!!!

cute small crabs can quickly turn into a nightmare as they spawn all over the tank and start disturbing your corals and start eating your corals. Or worst still some monster looking worm preys on your fish!!!

Best is to leave them out of water in a bucket for a few hours. You will find all sorts of creatures starting to come out, drop to the bottom of the pail.

Freshwater (RO/DI water) dip and Tropic Marine Pro Coral Care dip. TMPCC is abit harsh on corals, might not want to do it tt often although I've never had any coral die on me due to dips. 5min in FW normally does the trick. More to prevent introducing flatworms or other forms of hitchhikers into your tank.

no!!!

cute small crabs can quickly turn into a nightmare as they spawn all over the tank and start disturbing your corals and start eating your corals. Or worst still some monster looking worm preys on your fish!!!

Best is to leave them out of water in a bucket for a few hours. You will find all sorts of creatures starting to come out, drop to the bottom of the pail.

Freshwater (RO/DI water) dip and Tropic Marine Pro Coral Care dip. TMPCC is abit harsh on corals, might not want to do it tt often although I've never had any coral die on me due to dips. 5min in FW normally does the trick. More to prevent introducing flatworms or other forms of hitchhikers into your tank.

shits. i do notice that my LR have some lil small creatures that appears sometimes, sometimes i see 1 or 2 tiny tiny worm hidden in the sand bed, and there's also 2-3 very very small snails that grazes on my rocks. how? lol.

• Senior Reefer

not all hitchhikers are bad........... according to definition, hitchhikers means anything foreign and not intentionally introduced. right? thus,

there are good ones and bad ones.

bad ones include crabs, mantis, pistols. unless u keeping them in predatory tank, then they become good! lol...

good ones include sponges, snails, starfishes, corals, sponges, pods, brittlestars etc. depends on what u consider good.

• SRC Member
my tank only 1ft..and i keep inside my room and the temperature is around 26 to 27..seldom goes up till 28...btw lps stand for?

LPS means Large Polyp Stoney corals. SPS means Small Polyp Stoney corals. These 2 type are difficult to keep in small tanks and tanks with temperature above 28 degrees.

Since your tank is so immature, I think you should spend more time to let it cycle and mature. Don't put anymore fish or corals for at least 3 weeks I would say.

Search this forum for information on fishless tank cycling. A lot of information had already been shared. Read, understand and practice methods and skills shared by experience reefers here. This forum has a vast amount of information to help you start it the RIGHT way.

In marine aquarium keeping patience and discipline is key.

FYI, I also run a small tank but I use a canister and a chiller and I still can't keep SPS.

LPS means Large Polyp Stoney corals. SPS means Small Polyp Stoney corals. These 2 type are difficult to keep in small tanks and tanks with temperature above 28 degrees.

Since your tank is so immature, I think you should spend more time to let it cycle and mature. Don't put anymore fish or corals for at least 3 weeks I would say.

Search this forum for information on fishless tank cycling. A lot of information had already been shared. Read, understand and practice methods and skills shared by experience reefers here. This forum has a vast amount of information to help you start it the RIGHT way.

In marine aquarium keeping patience and discipline is key.

FYI, I also run a small tank but I use a canister and a chiller and I still can't keep SPS.

i have a 1ft tank also (which is still cycling), and after doing some reading up + advices from fellow reefers, all discourage me from keeping these 2 types, best to keep soft corals(: (plus i don't have a chiller)

not all hitchhikers are bad........... according to definition, hitchhikers means anything foreign and not intentionally introduced. right? thus,

there are good ones and bad ones.

bad ones include crabs, mantis, pistols. unless u keeping them in predatory tank, then they become good! lol...

good ones include sponges, snails, starfishes, corals, sponges, pods, brittlestars etc. depends on what u consider good.

uh oh, is thr anything i can do if i erm see alot of "bad" hitchhikers?

• SRC Member

if there's not much corals/ fishes in your tank now, you can always take them out and leave them to "air" for awhile... do note that at the same time when you are trying to remove these bad hitchhikers from your LR, you may kill the good ones too... At the same time, if there's no LS in your tank currently, just dip the LR into FW for a couple of minutes before placing it back into your tank.. would suggest you to cycle the tank again...

A man with a reef tank is a man with an empty wallet...

• SRC Member

for me, i make sure all my rocks are cured before adding them to main tank.. one way is to kill the rock first, den bring it back to life in your tank by cycling it.. i do this for rocks in my display.. this method requires patience as you'll be starting with dead rocks.. but its a sure-safe way of making sure there're no invasions in your display tank..

my other live rocks with hitchhikers (uncured live rocks) are all in my sump, for bio filtration purposes.. to make up for the initially 'dead' rocks in my display tank..

another way, to catch and remove any bad hikers you see everyday.. eg. like crabs, bobbits, and parasitic snails..

hope that helps.. :)

thanksss. and when u said "air" for a while... a while = how long? lol. i have only one yellowtail damsel in my tank now.

you can try taking out the rock for about 5 hrs.

place them on a newspaper spread or shallow wide pail (NOT directly under the sun).

occasionally sprinkle saltwater on the rock to keep it damp.

worms and crabs should crawl out soon after.

remove them as you see.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

you can try taking out the rock for about 5 hrs.

place them on a newspaper spread or shallow wide pail (NOT directly under the sun).

occasionally sprinkle saltwater on the rock to keep it damp.

worms and crabs should crawl out soon after.

remove them as you see.

orhh, okayys thanksss. but then ah, will i disrupt the sand bed? cos i added live rock before the sand. if i take my LR out, after that my LR will be on top of my sand and my sand bed will be disturbed..is it ok?