Stew's 5.5 Gallon pico

stewpid

Hi all,

I am actually new to SW tanks but have done FW before. This tank was initially planned for a freshwater crystal red shrimp tank. But after some serious poisoning from a reefer friend(he frequents SRC!!!), I couldnt take it anymore. Thus, my post here. Since I am nooobieee :paiseh:, thought i might jus start this tank thread to get some inputs from the old birds out there just incase I do anything wrong. OKkkk, I know that picos are not for noobie's but i do have some budget/space constraints, hopefully i will do my water changes diligently! :upsidedown:

Anyway, I got my tank today, it is a ADA Mini-M Replica. It is crystal glass!!!! :eyebrow:

Still having exams in school so will have to wait till next week before anything can get started~~~ :angry2: Cant wait to add waterrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr/roccccckkss/SANNNND.

Some pics:

DSCF0519.jpg

Few Questions,

1. Will PUR-II, ROWAPHOS and Biohomme be sufficient for filtration?

2. Would there be a difference if I did a light-less cycling process?

3. Where to get well-cured rocks?

ANy comments welcomed!!! :rolleyes:

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Keep your livestock small & it should be a neat setup. Any fish which stays below 3cm & is not aggressive would be great. Some fish you could consider could be blue stripe pipefish, small gobies, small cardinals.

Nanos usually end up looking a little weird if fishes/shrimp/corals are too big.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

pico setups can be really neat if you do it right.. btw since you're gonna be changing water frequently, why not consider seawater, its a cheaper and easier alternative, and especially useful if you're changing water every week.. just a suggestion.. :)

btw bro, which sch you from? i also having exams now.. have a feeling we might be from the same school.. :eyebrow:

• SRC Member

Few Answers,

Try to put these in bags inside the compartment of a hang-ob filter, there should be sufficient water flow for these filter media to work through the water.

There should be a problem, if you are planning for a 2-week cycle. Make sure you get the water mixed, then add your sand and rocks, then let the whole tank cycle for 2 weeks. You can put in some FW fish-food or half-a-prawn inside to speed up the cycling.

You can get some from Sgreefclub members or some LFS.

• SRC Supporter
Hi all,

I am actually new to SW tanks but have done FW before. This tank was initially planned for a freshwater crystal red shrimp tank. But after some serious poisoning from a reefer friend(he frequents SRC!!!), I couldnt take it anymore. Thus, my post here. Since I am nooobieee :paiseh:, thought i might jus start this tank thread to get some inputs from the old birds out there just incase I do anything wrong. OKkkk, I know that picos are not for noobie's but i do have some budget/space constraints, hopefully i will do my water changes diligently! :upsidedown:

Anyway, I got my tank today, it is a ADA Mini-M Replica. It is crystal glass!!!! :eyebrow:

Still having exams in school so will have to wait till next week before anything can get started~~~ :angry2: Cant wait to add waterrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr/roccccckkss/SANNNND.

Some pics:

DSCF0519.jpg

Few Questions,

ANy comments welcomed!!! :rolleyes:

your friend is bringing you to hell!!

go his house and poison his dogs and fishes!

btw,he can guide u well after following a group of good traininer :P:eyebrow::whistle

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed

ADA tanks are really nice. :wub:

Yea I love ADA tanks too!!!But sadly mine is only a replica .ADA distributor are outta stock!!!

Keep your livestock small & it should be a neat setup. Any fish which stays below 3cm & is not aggressive would be great. Some fish you could consider could be blue stripe pipefish, small gobies, small cardinals.

Nanos usually end up looking a little weird if fishes/shrimp/corals are too big.

Hmm...will look into fishes soon... Looking at either a shrimp goby or a small blenny.

pico setups can be really neat if you do it right.. btw since you're gonna be changing water frequently, why not consider seawater, its a cheaper and easier alternative, and especially useful if you're changing water every week.. just a suggestion.. :)

btw bro, which sch you from? i also having exams now.. have a feeling we might be from the same school.. :eyebrow:

Will look into this option in future~Initial plan was to buy DI water but who knows maybe some of you friendly reefers would be kind enough to let me top off from your RO/DI units :whistle

I am from NTU actually.You?

Few Answers,

Try to put these in bags inside the compartment of a hang-ob filter, there should be sufficient water flow for these filter media to work through the water.

There should be a problem, if you are planning for a 2-week cycle. Make sure you get the water mixed, then add your sand and rocks, then let the whole tank cycle for 2 weeks. You can put in some FW fish-food or half-a-prawn inside to speed up the cycling.

You can get some from Sgreefclub members or some LFS.

Thx for the reply!!!You are the only one who answered my questions!!!!!AHHAHA :upsidedown:

I will be using a canister actually...as I will need to run it through a chiller.

your friend is bringing you to hell!!

go his house and poison his dogs and fishes!

btw,he can guide u well after following a group of good traininer :P:eyebrow::whistle

:pirate: but to see a piece of ocean is bliss!!!Yea, he's been great help. I bombard him with tons of questions ! Its his fault my pockets are emptied :angry2:

Yea I love ADA tanks too!!!But sadly mine is only a replica .ADA distributor are outta stock!!!

Hmm...will look into fishes soon... Looking at either a shrimp goby or a small blenny.

Will look into this option in future~Initial plan was to buy DI water but who knows maybe some of you friendly reefers would be kind enough to let me top off from your RO/DI units :whistle

I am from NTU actually.You?

Thx for the reply!!!You are the only one who answered my questions!!!!!AHHAHA :upsidedown:

I will be using a canister actually...as I will need to run it through a chiller.

:pirate: but to see a piece of ocean is bliss!!!Yea, he's been great help. I bombard him with tons of questions ! Its his fault my pockets are emptied :angry2:

i tink u can use a fan instead but its abit unsightly hehe

arh... i'm from NUS haha.. :lol:

Sweet! Anyway i love your tank!!!!Great scape!!!Next time when my tank cycled maybe can meet you at LFS~~keke

Ask him to fill your pockets up!! Join us to "move" around next time! :)

Alamak!so fast wanna poison me liaoz <_< hehe....definitely will join you guys!Can learn alot from all you lao jiaos too!

Updates, Not much actually...but this came through the mail today!haha...super excited to recieve it :eyebrow:

DSCF0515.jpg

is that a float switch? are u diying an auto top up?

Zzz <_< How does that look like a float switch?!!?!HAHAH...cant believe you score better than me at school :evil: j/k j/k

i forsee a nice setup in future. will be following this thread :)

and a warm welcome to SRC

Thx bro lemon!!!I still new la...hope to learn from you guys and chiong sometime soon :lol: My tank small small nia...haha...

Must plan well for stock list!!!NO space to put too many coralsssss

Hehe...here's a better pic ba...

DSCF0516.jpg

Hint:Part of my DIY plans!!! :eyebrow: HAHAH!

• Senior Reefer
lol he stay very near u la. got new buddy liao can throw away old one already..

learn from 1 mah! we buddy buddy with u so long. now oso u throw us away liao.

hor reddevilz? :P

stewp is hellbliss replacement lah.

Hint:Part of my DIY plans!!! :eyebrow: HAHAH!

I smell a thermoelectric module cooler coming up :pirate:

Should work fine for a tank this size, but be sure your location has as low ambient temperature as possible.

And be careful with those syringes, a very very light squeeze can easily result in a huge glob coming out of the syringe!

Also, it is a good idea to store the 2 syringes in separate bags, mine have reacted after being stored in the same ziplock for too long.

Storing it in the fridge is not a bad idea either.