Volka for SPS systems

+1

In fact now have to stop dosing vodka for a moment not coz of alk swing or high but bad cyno bacteria bloom. Now affected my main tank :(

Bro,

do you have any BioDigest, Mb7, Microbe Special Blend etc? If you have, add them into the tank and hope the cyano dies away.

How thick is your sandbed in your main tank and how bad is the cyano?

Vodka is fuel for both bad and good bacteria. Bad bacteria are usually refer to as cyanobacteria. So if we do not provide additional good bacterias to outcompete the bad bacteria for vodka as food, we will end up growing more bad bacteria and result will be a cyano bloom.

Having a DSB/refugeim will face such issues because of the age of the DSB as well as the established population of different strains of bacteria inside the sand and rocks. And usually, more often than nought, we have more cyanobacteria than good bacteria.

Anyway I'm looking into possible cultivating different strains of bacteria with vinegar and sugar. My good ole friend, Mervin is doing so and seem to be a better dosing method to just doing vodka alone. Also, I'm looking into dosing the vodka twice a week kind of regime instead of an everyday affair or maybe dose when necessary kind of regime.

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

Thanks bro Marcovan for enlighten me of other bac supplement. I think this problem get out of hand since I stopped running sulphur denitrator. I believed there ample bacteria in the reactor to compete with the bad one.

Will follow ur recommendation.

:thanks: again.

Mix reef-Main tank 3x2.5x2.5ftA

TI 3ft 8tube

Hitachi compressor unit 1HP

1 x AP- 702 Deltec

1 x Coral Lab CR with Ph controller; 1X AquaMedic Kalk Reactor top off

Baby fish dosing kh/Sr&Kcl/mg

DI water thru kalkwasser

1 x Skimz Fr with BRS gfo

2 x Rio 32hF main pump

1 x Pinpt Orp monitor

1 X Pinpt Ph monitor

Aquamedic wave maker

Sump 3x1.5ft plumbed together with;

1.5ft cube live rock

Frag tank 5x1x1ft

Bro,

do you have any BioDigest, Mb7, Microbe Special Blend etc? If you have, add them into the tank and hope the cyano dies away.

How thick is your sandbed in your main tank and how bad is the cyano?

Vodka is fuel for both bad and good bacteria. Bad bacteria are usually refer to as cyanobacteria. So if we do not provide additional good bacterias to outcompete the bad bacteria for vodka as food, we will end up growing more bad bacteria and result will be a cyano bloom.

Having a DSB/refugeim will face such issues because of the age of the DSB as well as the established population of different strains of bacteria inside the sand and rocks. And usually, more often than nought, we have more cyanobacteria than good bacteria.

Anyway I'm looking into possible cultivating different strains of bacteria with vinegar and sugar. My good ole friend, Mervin is doing so and seem to be a better dosing method to just doing vodka alone. Also, I'm looking into dosing the vodka twice a week kind of regime instead of an everyday affair or maybe dose when necessary kind of regime.

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

Thanks for sharing. Learn something new everyday !

• SRC Member

you are right. i have this cysnobacteria problem on my LR and burn sps and lps for a whole year.

I kept a good discipline in maintain my alk at 7.5. pass this discipline on from my zeovit system. the burn tips i mentioned is not just on the end tip. it is the tips side of the body. i can't explain that. too discourage to take any picture then. it is just that after the side tips of it body burn, cyno will take over and cover the burn area.

as for dosing, i have to check my record. i remember i dose it everyday. p04 and n03 was in checked. my tank volume was 90g. as for the test kit, i used salifert.

age.png

Thanks bro Marcovan for enlighten me of other bac supplement. I think this problem get out of hand since I stopped running sulphur denitrator. I believed there ample bacteria in the reactor to compete with the bad one.

Will follow ur recommendation.

:thanks: again.

No problem and a word of caution is to add slowly or follow the low nutrient dosage instructions if there're any. I have faced bacteria and hair algae bloom when I overdosed on the bacteria :X

So for bro thairun, keep a log and dose slowly up the scale. Keep each dosage for 2/3 days before moving up. Practise a periodic water change for the tank as water changes are always the primary solution to any problem. Run GFO aka phosphate removers instead if phosphates start to creep back up. Lastly, if the cyano will not clear, run Red Slime Remover. After cyano dies away, run some carbon to remove any traces of medication and restart the vodka dosing on the maintainence dosage.

But imo, gradual removal the DSB will be the top most priority should you want to continue on with vodka (:

Hope these help (:

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

you are right. i have this cysnobacteria problem on my LR and burn sps and lps for a whole year.

I kept a good discipline in maintain my alk at 7.5. pass this discipline on from my zeovit system. the burn tips i mentioned is not just on the end tip. it is the tips side of the body. i can't explain that. too discourage to take any picture then. it is just that after the side tips of it body burn, cyno will take over and cover the burn area.

as for dosing, i have to check my record. i remember i dose it everyday. p04 and n03 was in checked. my tank volume was 90g. as for the test kit, i used salifert.

Did you dose any bacteria back then?

Aww, no pics? HMM, if you have pics of them it will make things easier to identify because as far as I know, high dkh of over 9 will cause sps tips to burn and not the tips' sides so if got pics, we can investigate this mystery together (:

Actually I do not know if you realise that vodka dosing or VSV dosing is pretty similar to zeovit. The only differences are perhaps the missing zeovit reactor and also the long-term running costs. If not, you will find that the rationale behind the whole issues between zeovit and vodka or vsv are pretty similar.

Anyway I am slowly becoming sure that vodka alone may not be such a great idea. All being said, still gotta do some more homework about it over on RC. haha (:

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

P.S: Sorry to remind you bro loster of your sad days in this hobby. Hope we can learn from each other and come up with something great to share with the community here. I'm a newbie reefer therefore I definitely look forth to learn more stuff from you :D

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

• Senior Reefer

hi mark. lol always wanted SPS. my favourite... BIRDNEST!! especially the neon green blunt tip and the pink sharp tip ones... if using T5, how many inches from the surface then can? lol srry off topic.

hi mark. lol always wanted SPS. my favourite... BIRDNEST!! especially the neon green blunt tip and the pink sharp tip ones... if using T5, how many inches from the surface then can? lol srry off topic.

birdnest?! LOL

How come you like the same things as I do? lol. except I don't like wrasses haha :ph34r: Maybe when walt smith comes in again, we can split one colony to share. I love those blunt birdnest tips :P I find them with sharper contrast :D

Anyway for T5s, there's no exact guideline how far away from the water surface a T5 fixture should be because different tanks with different corals have different requirements. For myself, I practise 2" - 3" away from the water surface. After that, it all depends on how the corals respond. If the corals appear to be bleaching, I will move it down a step. If it's turning brown or a darker color, I'll move it up. Like my bro. Iantoh has said, it all depends on how your corals respond and hence the move (:

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

• SRC Member

Latest report on Voldka dosing..

been dosing around 1 mth.. about 0.5ml per day for my 75 gallon tank...

Effects : Colours of SPS brighter, cyano bloom, Algae become lesser,

*** BIGGEST SIDE EFFECT *** Realise AT have more white spots then usual, hence decided to stop dosing voldka and observe...

Hence, to conclude, i have now stop dosing Voldka into my tank..

thank you and appreciate other bros input to this topic.

will MASSIVELY use sorb4, prodibio and carbon from now on with weekly water change...

Cheers everyone..

My 3ft tank

Dimension --> 3ftx1.5ftx2ft

Ehiem 1262 return

Ehiem 1260

Artica 1/5hp Chiller

Tunze 6055 + 7091 single controller

EcoTech Marine Vortech MP40W

Royal Exclusive Mini BubbleKing 160

Lumenarc 250watt 10K BLV

02x Giesemann T5 39watt (blue + Actinic)

Deltec 501 CR

*** BIGGEST SIDE EFFECT *** Realise AT have more white spots then usual, hence decided to stop dosing voldka and observe...

will MASSIVELY use sorb4, prodibio and carbon from now on with weekly water change...

Cheers everyone..

Is it too much vodka? I thought like 0.1ml per 25gallon for a start. Then increase gradually to 0.2ml

Vodka Dosing

Member of :
post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F

MASS in Facebook

Reefing in LED

• SRC Member

yea... i gradually added and increase.. ended up with 0.5ml...

did see the effects but like i mention the side effects..

hence decided to stop and dun dare to risk the health of my AT..

My 3ft tank

Ehiem 1262 return

Ehiem 1260

Artica 1/5hp Chiller

Lumenarc 250watt 10K BLV

Deltec 501 CR

• SRC Member

Cheers everyone..

can i ask how about the level of nitrates with the dosing of voldka?

My Decomissioned 2ft Cube: (31st March 2011)

Carpe Diem~!!!

My Current 4ft X 2ft X 2ft:

• SRC Member
can i ask how about the level of nitrates with the dosing of voldka?

drop to undetectable level... but im using carbon and sorb4 media heavily too...

change of carbon and phosban media every water change which is 1 1/2 week...

My 3ft tank

Ehiem 1262 return

Ehiem 1260

Artica 1/5hp Chiller

Lumenarc 250watt 10K BLV

Deltec 501 CR

• 2 weeks later...

Some articles for you guys to read, very interesting. Might be following them to maintain my tank dosing VSV with prodibio, after stopped dosing plain vodka for a mnth now. Thank Marc J. for your advise.

http://glassbox-design.com/2008/achieved-t...xperimentation/

Happy reefing!

Japanese Style

TI 3ft 8tube

1 x AP- 702 Deltec

DI water thru kalkwasser

2 x Rio 32hF main pump

1 x Pinpt Orp monitor

1 X Pinpt Ph monitor

Aquamedic wave maker

1.5ft cube live rock

Frag tank 5x1x1ft

Some articles for you guys to read, very interesting. Might be following them to maintain my tank dosing VSV with prodibio, after stopped dosing plain vodka for a mnth now. Thank Marc J. for your advise.

http://glassbox-design.com/2008/achieved-t...xperimentation/

Happy reefing!

Japanese Style

I'm now dosing vodka and prodibio.

So far so good. :look:

Member of :
post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F

MASS in Facebook

Reefing in LED

I'm now dosing vodka and prodibio.

So far so good. :look:

Bro any pics of your coral before and after dosing vodka and prodibio?

Wish to convince myself before jump to it :eyebrow: Boleh?

:thanks:

TI 3ft 8tube

1 x AP- 702 Deltec

DI water thru kalkwasser

2 x Rio 32hF main pump

1 x Pinpt Orp monitor

1 X Pinpt Ph monitor

Aquamedic wave maker

1.5ft cube live rock

Frag tank 5x1x1ft

I wonder what has volka dosing got to do with white spots on the AT????

You can find in the Glass-box article stated that it is not recommended to run ozone or UV when dosing vodka. As it will kill the bacteria strain you feed on. So this relatively will generate further any bacteria/ viruses that the fish suffered. So far 'touch wood' for my tank, my fish have never suffer any diaseses but only cyno what am dealing now.

TI 3ft 8tube

1 x AP- 702 Deltec

DI water thru kalkwasser

2 x Rio 32hF main pump

1 x Pinpt Orp monitor

1 X Pinpt Ph monitor

Aquamedic wave maker

1.5ft cube live rock

Frag tank 5x1x1ft

I wonder what has volka dosing got to do with white spots on the AT????

You can find in the Glass-box article stated that it is not recommended to run ozone or UV when dosing vodka. As it will kill the bacteria strain you feed on. So this relatively will generate further any bacteria/ viruses that the fish suffered. So far 'touch wood' for my tank, my fish have never suffer any diaseses but only cyno what am dealing now.

TI 3ft 8tube

1 x AP- 702 Deltec

DI water thru kalkwasser

2 x Rio 32hF main pump

1 x Pinpt Orp monitor

1 X Pinpt Ph monitor

Aquamedic wave maker