Japanese-styled, USA engineered CREE LED spotlights

planula

Hi everyone,

I recently returned from the US with some Japanese-styled PAR38 CREE LED spotlights, designed by Evilc66 of NanoReefs and manufactured in collaboration with Chris from NanoCustoms.

Nano-Customs-PAR-38-LED.jpg

Image courtesy of glassboxdesign.com

I first encountered these quality made and powerful spotlights from the Nano-Reef Forum in a post by the man himself, Evilc66 also known as Clive. For fellow reefers who may be unfamiliar with Clive, he is one of the leading US hobbyist-experts in engineering high-powered LED fixtures - especially DIY projects and retrofit fixtures. What started out as a project to replicate the much coveted Japanese "Superkaru" reef spotlights became a full blown collaboration with Chris from Nanocustoms Evilc66's (Clive's) PAR 38 CREE LED Spotlights - Exhibit post no. 221.

These new LED spotlights finally made it possible for me to reproduce the aesthetics of those breathtaking Japanese spot-lit reefs on my 4-gallon SPS dominated pico, with the added benefits that CREE LEDs could offer: cost savings, powerful illumination minus the heat, enhanced coral colour and fluorescence, in short; a more stunning reef. The simplicity of use was a bonus – just screw it into a normal household light socket and it’s ready for use. My interest was piqued so I researched further and found excellent reviews by reef commentaries including:

GlassBoxDesign at MACNA XXI, The 12000K PAR38 highpowered CREE LED spotlights are shown (photo courtesy of GlassBoxDesign)GlassBoxDesign

Cree-LED-Spotlight.jpg

ReefBuilders (photo courtesy of ReefBuilders)This image illustrates the dramatic effects of a single 20 000K PAR 38 LED Spotlight on an ADA Mini-S Cube ReefReefBuilder's website

par38-led-lamp-nano-customs-1.jpg

and similar compliments in Reef forums such as:

Reef Central

and of course Nano-reef.com

What follows is a summary of my research and personal observations so far (I run one over my 4 gallon pico):

1. First, these lights save money. As most of us would be aware by now, high-powered LEDS offer us a true eco-effective and economic alternative to energy guzzling gangs of metal halides or rows of High Output (HO, or VHO) T5s. With a projected lifespan of 50,000 hours, these spotlights have estimated illumination periods of 11 years per day but consume only 21 watts (assuming a photoperiod of 12 hours daily). This amounts to an estimated 60% savings in energy without the need to change bulbs. With a horizontal spread of roughly 10" suspended from vertical height of ca. 12", they can be used as primary or standalone lights for small pico reefs (with some shadow spots, but some reefers prefer such dramatic effects), without incurring further costs on additional lights and adding heat to the tank. This translates to less chilling costs – further cost savings – and makes point-source illumination for pico and nano owners a reality.

2. These spotlights are also powerful, aesthetically pleasing and beautifully engineered. With an energy consumption of only 21 watts, they provide absolute optical value per watt of energy. Driven close to 1000mA and coupled with medium angle (40o) optics for each LED, the spotlights generate approximately 220 PAR from as high as 20â€, 425 PAR from 18†(through air), and roughly 130 PAR at the sand bed, based on 16†depth ( in water). These measurements were taken by various individuals (GlassBoxDesign, other reefers and Evilc66) using quantum meters from an Apogee - the industry-standard PAR meter used by most reefers. Rated with a colour temperature of 12000K using two 450nm Royal Blue and three White CREE LEDs, these spotlights produce a crisp blue-white clarity unique to LEDs. The finishing for these lights match their brilliant output: white coloured high density polycarbonate, aluminum and steel (I think) are coupled to chic minimalist effect.

3. Most crucially for me, these spotlights are simple to use. They require no ballasts, external fans for cooling, or drivers. Designed based on the ubiquitous Edison based e27/26 household socket found in most homes (screw-in socket type), installation is as simple as screw and play (A term coined by yours truly :rolleyes: ). Rated at 90-240VAC, these spotlights are built for worldwide usage. A caveat though, without an external fan to cool, use of these spotlights in enclosed style fixtures will overheat the LED despite the high fin-count heatsink. A thing to note, these are also not usable with dimmers, but photo-control could be simply overcome with extendible arms or adjustable hanging kits. I use mine with a silver coloured Architech-style lamp that I got at a steal - $14.00 – from IKEA.

4. These spotlights are highly versatile and different lighting effects could be achieved depending on your preference. Besides being excellent for a pico or nano reef, these high powered spotlights could be used for multi-zonational spotlighting or to highlight prized specimens and difficult-to-light corners for larger tanks. Pico reefers who like dramatic brightly lit spots with dim areas could use these spotlights without an additional diffuse light source.
  5. In sum, I think these spotlights have been a wonderful buy; the shimmer effects it adds to my pico reef are simply mesmerizing. I will share pictures of my setup soon, and report the effects of these spotlights on my corals.

I have eight of these spotlights left for sale, at a reasonable price. MASS members will have a special discount :upsidedown: . Please drop me a PM if you are interested and I’ll be happy to furnish you with more information quickly.

I’ll close with an image of a pico tank that has inspired me – Marcello’s pico – and is now achievable (at least in the lighting section) with my new 12000k PAR 38 CREE spotlights from Nanocustoms.

Image courtesy of GlassBoxDesign, featuring a Japanese Artist and aquarist Marcello marcello-3.jpg

Merry Christmas to all!

Cheers.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just received my 2 units yesterday. Any lobang for a flexible light holder? I was thinking of those that they use for reptile basking spotlights. Are all your units 12K? Mine are 12K but was wondering how 20K lights would look. I actually am using these lights for a pico tank that is the same size as Marcello's. Thinking of adding in a Vortech MP10.. :rolleyes:

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

I have not prepared the tank yet. I'll be sourcing for a good looking light fixture to hold the lamps. These lamps are'nt light. Estimated weight per piece is as heavy as a can of coke.

img4321vl.jpgimg4319j.jpg

I just received my 2 units yesterday. Any lobang for a flexible light holder? I was thinking of those that they use for reptile basking spotlights. Are all your units 12K? Mine are 12K but was wondering how 20K lights would look. I actually am using these lights for a pico tank that is the same size as Marcello's. Thinking of adding in a Vortech MP10.. :rolleyes:

Hi FueL,

Happy for you. I got mine from IKEA - flexible architech styled open fixture in brushed silver metal for $14.00. I found these most applicable. I will post pics of these soon, when I am back - out of town now. I saw another alternative, more aesthetically pleasing in fact, in the form of a wall mounted spotlight fixture in brushed aluminium. Unfortunately, it needs a little mod to fit the PAR38s. This fixture goes for $16 or so.

U are right bout the weight; both fixtures I mentioned will sufficiently hold it.

Cheers and Merry Christmas

• Senior Reefer
I have not prepared the tank yet. I'll be sourcing for a good looking light fixture to hold the lamps. These lamps are'nt light. Estimated weight per piece is as heavy as a can of coke.

img4321vl.jpgimg4319j.jpg

yeah these spotlights super nice. saw them yesterday and was very impressed. agree that they arent very light though :)

:off: omg i got the same bed sheets lol

• SRC Member
yeah these spotlights super nice. saw them yesterday and was very impressed. agree that they arent very light though :)

:off: omg i got the same bed sheets lol

Hopefully not the same bed! :o:lol:

I have both 12K and 20K to see which I prefer - think it'll be the 20K....Also got them in 60* optics as I don't think I will have the vertical height for the 40*

Intelligent people talk about ideas......

Average people talk about things......

Small people talk about other people......

I have both 12K and 20K to see which I prefer - think it'll be the 20K....Also got them in 60* optics as I don't think I will have the vertical height for the 40*

According to Evilc66, the 20K's output more resembles a 14K Phoenix bulb; a matter of preference I guess. :) The 60 deg optics would provide for more spread - useful if utilised as primary illumination, while the 40 deg optics provides a real "punch" of light - great for highlighting coral islands and in deeper tanks.

Would love to see pictures of your installation and tank Bro. Guess all of us who have accquired these lights could post them in here? :)

Happy Boxing Day to all!

what the price like care to share down here??

Hi Bro Steven and friends who are interested,

These cost $240 each; as I have only 8 of these left, I can give an 8% discount (i.e. $220 each) to the first four friends who can confirm. MASS members get an additional 2% discount (ie. $216 each) but is also limited to the first four.

I willl also provide a personal 14 day guarantee in addition to the warranty from Nanocustoms. A caveat to note though: please do not use them with dimmers or in closed style fixtures; doing so will void the warranty, so please do not do so.

The earliest that I will be able to deliver is on Sunday evening as I am currently out of town. As I will not be driving, I can only deliver to all MRT stations. Thanks for your kind understanding.

Happy Boxing Day!

This are very hot light. Not advisable to house them but let them be air cool

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

Bro if I am not wrong they mean 21 watt light output equaivalent.

LED light output is about double the spec.

Meaning a 3 watt led has a light output about 5 to 6 watt of any normal light

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

Bro if I am not wrong they mean 21 watt light output equaivalent.

LED light output is about double the spec.

Meaning a 3 watt led has a light output about 5 to 6 watt of any normal light

Hi Guys,

from the man himself:

"Our manufacturer droped a nice little surprise on use with our last batch of PAR38 lamps: MOAR POWER!! They have gone from about 15W to about 21W of power draw. What this means is about a 25% increase in PAR output with the same lense configuration. All lamps shipping now will be the higher power version."

I am no expert, but what I think Evilc66 means that having the ability to draw more power (the original consumption was15 watts) provides more output - and driving the LEDs more:

"...Still 5 LEDs. After driver effeciency losses, the LEDs are running just under 1000mA."

Guess this might answer FuEL's question..

And yes, these lights are hot - the heatsink works well at wicking heat away; the absence of a fan requires them to be used in open style fixtures. As I have mentioned, I found 2 very suitable ones at IKEA for less than $20. Will post asap.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...
Nano-Customs-PAR-38-LED.jpg

Image courtesy of glassboxdesign.com

Image courtesy of GlassBoxDesign, featuring a Japanese Artist and aquarist Marcello marcello-3.jpg

The LED is very well designed and the tank is so clear and nice :angel: !

post-1182-049500100201281969137_thumb.gi

Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do. - Goethe

Lucky I ordered the 20k ;)

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

PAR38%20ICons.jpg

Hi Everyone,

Happy New Year! Following on from my first post, I attach pictures of the IKEA fixture as promised. I apologize for the tardiness.

P1050445.JPG

First, let us consider aesthetics. With matt metallic silver finishing, this architect-style fixture looks clean, crisp and sleek. Its fits well with the overall aesthetics of the PAR38 Cree LED spotlight, and would complement a modern or zen-isque furnishing.

P1050431.JPG

Made of what I presume to be steel, it scores well in the functionality department too. The 360 degree swivel-base allows for great flexibility, while the two joints and a swivel-end near the screw-in socket allows for illimitable directing of the light source. Installing the swivel-base is easy, and it could also be wall mounted if desired. The detachable lamp shade allows for maximal ventilation of the spotlight. The in-line switch provides an extra dimension for controlling the light beyond the timer switch or mains.

P1050440.JPG

P1050439.JPG

Finally, it is cheap. At $16.00, one would be hard pressed to find another fixture that is both utilitarian and sharp looking. I mount mine behind the tank and angle the PAR38 at roughly 45 degrees to the top and front of my tank. The effects are simply amazing.

P1050433.JPG

P1050447.JPG

Coming up soon, a write-up on the installed PAR38 and pics of it lighting up my corals. :)

P1040085.JPG

Nice. Looks like I have no choice but to get that Ikea one although it seems so bulky.

The other fixtures I tried either can't fit the bulb or are too weak to hold the bulb. <_<

• SRC Member
This is only effective for small tank right? If for a big tank, wun it require a lot of unit?

only for small tanks. I ordered one for my nano, waiting for delivery. Seems more effective to DIY into a microchiller than just bulkhead mountinb or direct probe-dip into tank. Looking at it that's what he did I think.

25 Gal Micro Ocean