Clown Fish

Hi Guys,

can i check from all your experience, how many piece of clown fishes can i accommodate in a 3 by 1.5 by 2 feet FOWLR tank?

I want some Grouper, but my wife wants 20 pieces of Clown fishes... i guess the Grouper won't happen. I just wanna know if i get 20 piece of clown fishes, would it overload the bioload? and with the 20 pieces, can i still get any other fishes, for example 1 or 2 more yellow tang.

the set up would be with a sump tank of 2 by 1 by 1.5 feet, with MCE 500 skimmer and 2 kg of biohomes as well as some live rocks, if i can get my hands on them.

Thanks in advance

• SRC Member
Hi Guys,

can i check from all your experience, how many piece of clown fishes can i accommodate in a 3 by 1.5 by 2 feet FOWLR tank?

I want some Grouper, but my wife wants 20 pieces of Clown fishes... i guess the Grouper won't happen. I just wanna know if i get 20 piece of clown fishes, would it overload the bioload? and with the 20 pieces, can i still get any other fishes, for example 1 or 2 more yellow tang.

the set up would be with a sump tank of 2 by 1 by 1.5 feet, with MCE 500 skimmer and 2 kg of biohomes as well as some live rocks, if i can get my hands on them.

Thanks in advance

its possible...provided you change water at least once a week and the clown fishes are mainly the false clowns or tomato or clark clowns which are less aggressive. Maroon clowns are definitely a no-no.

adding a tang into a tank full of clowns may not be a good idea.

l7304smr.jpg

• SRC Member
Hi Guys,

Thanks in advance

it is possible only for false perc, and for grouper , it is best not to keep it as u will find it a watse of money sooner or later.

i have kept about 5 different kind of grouper and they all have same habit, they only come out at night or when u are feeding.

most of the time u cannot see them because once they see u they dash in the rocks to hide

• Senior Reefer
its possible...provided you change water at least once a week and the clown fishes are mainly the false clowns or tomato or clark clowns which are less aggressive. Maroon clowns are definitely a no-no.

adding a tang into a tank full of clowns may not be a good idea.

tomato v fierce when older! :pirate:

• SRC Member

20 clownfish sounds v. nice at first, remember seeing one of the aquarama displays this year with lots of clownfish in them. But more imptly, at least for me, the novelty will die down and seeing 20 of them everyday doing their swim up to you flipping their fins... it gets pretty boring. I would rather leave more room for more variety. Maybe can bargain with your wife to keep 6-8 so you can keep other fishes too? :)

• SRC Member

yes mate ... rather than 20 clowns, why not get just 2 clowns of yr favorite type ..... maybe the rarer ones will be more interesting .. and when they start laying eggs it gets even more exciting.... my pair of black aussies keeps laying eggs rite in teh middle of a community tank but very interesting to see how they tend to the eggs etc

Main Tank : 48 inch by 36 inch by 28 inch (2 sides starphire glass)
Sump Tank :
Return Pump :
Chiller : Starmax Compressor 1 HP Drop coil
Chiller Return Pump
Protein Skimmer :
Wave Maker :
Fluidised Reactor :

if i keep say 6 to 8 clowns... will the Tangs eat them up?

Tangs are herbivores and grazers, they will neither eat nor disturb clownfishes. Anyway it is better to keep jux a pair of clowns than a group in a 3ft tank. Trust me u'll be bored with jux a clownfish tank v fast.

• SRC Member

I would suggest getting 6-8 clownfishes, then add 4 firegobies, 1 blue tang, and a coral beauty. Then you will have almost all the colours in the tank. Makes a more lively twist rather than 20 clownfishes. If you want to see the effect of many clownfishes go to the nearby Sheng Seong supermarket, my branch in Serangoon north has about 20 in a tank and they seems very static after a while.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...