First timer marine tank

xaine

• SRC Member
Good idea :idea::idea::idea: , I think I'll add a cloth based filter to the output of the overflow pipe, since most of the waste is from top down.

Filter sock would be a better choice as they usually can filter out particles 100-200 microns in size. You can even get filter socks that can filter out particles as small as 10 microns. Cloth based filters may not be able to adequately filter out the small particles in the water.

http://www.marinedepot.com/Marine_Depot_20...IFMMEFS-vi.html

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Chiller: Artica 1/5HP

Chiller Pump: Sicce 4000

Return Pump: OR3500

Skimmer: Deltec APF600

Wavemaker: Tunze Wavebox/2x Hydor K2/SCWD wavemaker

Lights: DElighting 2x150W MH + 2x 39W T5 Atinic

FR: Skimz

FR Pump: Atman AT-104

Tubby ATO, Kalkweisser Reactor with magnetic stirrer.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filter sock would be a better choice as they usually can filter out particles 100-200 microns in size. You can even get filter socks that can filter out particles as small as 10 microns. Cloth based filters may not be able to adequately filter out the small particles in the water.

http://www.marinedepot.com/Marine_Depot_20...IFMMEFS-vi.html

hmm...looks interesting, saw that before, looks like those you use to make coffee at coffee shops....LOL :heh:

Can consider a needlewheel skimmer instead of weipro 2011, stronger skimmer will help in your future live stocks. :rolleyes:

Upgrades are in the plans (future plans, that is) :P Once I get the hang of this, I guess it will be an endless hole for my pocket

FOWLR Tank : 48"x24"x30"

Sump: 36"x18"x20"

Return Pump : Rio 32HF

Skimmer: Reef Octopus DNW-110

Lighting: 150W MH

• SRC Member
hmm...looks interesting, saw that before, looks like those you use to make coffee at coffee shops....LOL :heh:

Upgrades are in the plans (future plans, that is) :P Once I get the hang of this, I guess it will be an endless hole for my pocket

Looks like but toally different things... :eyebrow: Those coffee stainers can't be used as a filter sock as the cloth used is not made of 100-200 micron material.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Looks like but toally different things... :eyebrow: Those coffee stainers can't be used as a filter sock as the cloth used is not made of 100-200 micron material.

Yeah, I know....just kidding :eyebrow:

• SRC Member
Yeah, I know....just kidding :eyebrow:

Just take note though that filter socks aren't available locally. You have to get them in from USA and the shipping cost is pretty high.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Looks like another way is to pipe it thru a regular under-the-sink water filter canister with micron filters, I think that should work. Just a matter of cost. I think those are pretty affordable to replace.

• SRC Member

Not too good to do that as the filter will clog up really fast. Usually micron filters used in RO systems are 5 micron so u will face the issue of your micron filter being totally clogged up and then u will have to replace the filter.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

5 micron would be an overkill, normally those normal under-the-sink replaceable cartridges have a wide range, 0.5-500 micron. So having 1 or 2 inline sounds to be a good water polisher. And the cartridges are cheap enough to be disposed on prolonged usage. Well, sourcing of a higher micron cartridge might need some effort.

• SRC Member

Only if you clear it every few days.. else it will still break down in a few days to a week on whatever filter you place.. then it would be too much work.. I would suggest just let detritus flow through the canister into the skimmer..

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

• SRC Member
Only if you clear it every few days.. else it will still break down in a few days to a week on whatever filter you place.. then it would be too much work.. I would suggest just let detritus flow through the canister into the skimmer..

Same thing actually. U still need to change the filters in the cannister otherwise the detritus will break down and turn into a nitrate factory within a few days especially if a lot of detritus is trapped by the filters. Furthermore since he is using a HOB skimmer, it is near impossible to connect the outlet of the cannister filter to the inlet of the skimmer. You will have a very high chance of overflowing the skimmer.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• SRC Member
Furthermore since he is using a HOB skimmer, it is near impossible to connect the outlet of the cannister filter to the inlet of the skimmer. You will have a very high chance of overflowing the skimmer.

Ok for his fluval canister as the flow can be controlled...

A man with a reef tank is a man with an empty wallet...

Same thing actually. U still need to change the filters in the cannister otherwise the detritus will break down and turn into a nitrate factory within a few days especially if a lot of detritus is trapped by the filters. Furthermore since he is using a HOB skimmer, it is near impossible to connect the outlet of the cannister filter to the inlet of the skimmer. You will have a very high chance of overflowing the skimmer.

Actually, that's what I'm doing now, as in the output of my canister connecting to the input of the skimmer. And since the canister filer's flowrate is within recommended values that of the skimmer, it is functioning perfectly and skimming well.

• SRC Member

Thats why I don't recommend filters.. just have big sized medias in there so any reasonably size dirt/detritus/food will flow through and not stay in the canister.. this way you got a chance of all those stuff being skimmed out by the skimmer. The purpose here is not get anything stuck or filtered and therefore left there for days to breakdown.

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

Nice setup, however IMHO you should consider to relocate your power source.

not very safe to have it just below the tank, if you know what i mean. :rolleyes:

Well, not much options for that, i guess I just have to realign it to the side. :)

• SRC Member

Just to let you see how much detritus is collected by my filter sock that I put in my sump since yesterday 5pm

Return Pipe

Filtersock2.jpg

Skimmer Outlet

Filtersock3.jpg

And this is the filter sock from Marine Depot that I am using

Filtersock.jpg

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

That's quite a good deal of detritus collection overnight. So I guess if the sock gets too choked, it just overflows from the side into the sump.

• SRC Member
That's quite a good deal of detritus collection overnight. So I guess if the sock gets too choked, it just overflows from the side into the sump.

Yup, it should happen that way. But the chances of the sock getting choked is quite slim as it is really big.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• 1 month later...

Update......Here's how it looks a month later.

Move quite a fair bit of coral skeletons and rocks to the refugium below, now connected with a selfmade overflow pipe.

P1280477.jpg

Clowns enjoying their new home

P1280437.jpg

Anemone shifted base and found new footing

P1280469.jpg

Curious goby looking at owner

P1280441.jpg

P1280458.jpg

P1280473.jpg

Stabalising and opening up

P1280478.jpg

Update......Here's how it looks a month later.

Move quite a fair bit of coral skeletons and rocks to the refugium below, now connected with a selfmade overflow pipe.

P1280477.jpg

Clowns enjoying their new home

P1280437.jpg

Anemone shifted base and found new footing

P1280469.jpg

Curious goby looking at owner

P1280441.jpg

P1280458.jpg

P1280473.jpg

Stabalising and opening up

P1280478.jpg

Nice to see your clowns enjoying the Anemone.

IMO, you should scape upwards.

Then will have more place for other coral.

Else, the look will be simple, with rocks at the bottom.

Do some Epoxy, but take it easy wor, with a few epoxy spreading over a period.

Nice to see your clowns enjoying the Anemone.

IMO, you should scape upwards.

Then will have more place for other coral.

Else, the look will be simple, with rocks at the bottom.

Do some Epoxy, but take it easy wor, with a few epoxy spreading over a period.

I've not tried any epoxy yet, still suffering from rock collapse when I scape. But will see how it goes first. Trying not too meddle too much for now until I have a better hang of marine tanks.

Thanks

• SRC Member

Your tank may be too small to have enough algae to support the algae blenny if it doesn't feed on pellets. Once you notice it's stomach gets thinner and thinner, you can either sell it here or let it up for adoption to a reefer with big tank. Don't wait 'cos it will die of starvation if you don't do anything to help if that happens.

Try to get a few bigger liverocks to scape and scape it upwards too, it'll be nicer.