New chapter for 6ft

stevenkoh08

• SRC Member
Hi all after been though alot of good and bad bout marine plan to upgrade to 6ft for now

tank will be

12mm glass 72 x 24 x 30

6'' ovwerflow compartment with three portion

8mm 42'' sump tank with three compartment

paint in black cabinet 4dr and w/ side opening

top open hood cover

changnai wood

equipment will be as follow

1. Laguna 16000l/h return pump

2. HC-500 chiller

3. Marine Sources Professional Skimmer (External) MSA-200-2-6540 2500L

4. 2 x 230w maxspect

5. 2 x 12000l/h sun sun wavemaker

6. DIY Algea scrubber 24w x 4

tank mostly will get it on mid of march will slowing do the set up and post pic once got it hee hee

Nice tank!

I have a few questions,

1) why do you want to add bioballs,biohome into the overflow area? that would make servicing rather difficult and they'll accummulate a huge amount of detritus in a few months. why not place the biohome in filter bags in the sump so u can shake and remove detritus easily?

2) There is no need for such a high powered return pump, the amount of microbubbles in the main tank will be magnified if you have a very stong return. its best(and safer) to increase the amount of flow in the main tank itself than to depend on a huge return on flow.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice tank!

I have a few questions,

1) why do you want to add bioballs,biohome into the overflow area? that would make servicing rather difficult and they'll accummulate a huge amount of detritus in a few months. why not place the biohome in filter bags in the sump so u can shake and remove detritus easily?

cause of i also want to reduce the water splashing sound but in second thought may just add a those mash type sponge to reduce then good point from u tks

2) There is no need for such a high powered return pump, the amount of microbubbles in the main tank will be magnified if you have a very stong return. its best(and safer) to increase the amount of flow in the main tank itself than to depend on a huge return on flow.

plan to have a high flow to make the water to generate more 02 i'll have more plan on some new things i've read up from a website

Nice tank!

I have a few questions,

but bear this in mind that the turn over from the return needs to be around 12x to 15x of the tank volume

Humble tank :

Size: 4x2.5x2 ft - Display 

Equipment :

Return 1 : Ecotech marine L1

Return 2 : Ecotech marine M1

CR : Skimz CM122 - Caribsea extra course media with Grotech magnesium

Light : ATI 8x54W

• SRC Supporter

there is afew things that i would suggest you to reconsider,

1st is the overflow compartment. no need for 3 compartment.

biohome bioball all that, like moron clown mention will give you hell of a problem in future.

next, your pipe draining down to sump do away with your durso. for big tanks like that you need to always leave options for upgrades e.g return pump. i use e.g for return pump is because it is 1 of the very important upgrade u may need in future and changing your tank most likely will be the only solution to your upgrade.

invest in more powerful return pumps are better then many more wavemaker. not saying that you can or will do away with wavemaker, but return flows are very important to the tank. reduce your wavemakers that you may have and invest more into the return side.

As usual, having 2 or more returns are often better. micro bubbles are not an issue should the design be done up properly.

next with 2 drain pipe and with durso as the "silencer", you will experience alot of problem with your external skimmer by gravity feeding it. any cases of durso or pipe choke or any similiar will result a massive flood from your main tank.

chiller is recommanded to go dip in coil. or else, run a individual pump for it will be good. controlling the flowrate of chiller is as important. electrical bill depend alot on this. ;)

Do NOT neglect the pipe size and holes drilled for overflow in your tank.

Plan them perfectly. The kind of return currently and for future depends all on this.

If your tank maker is quoting u tank+sump+cabinet+piping. please select your own piping. nature of business man will cut cost for more profit. bare in mind, different pipes are different in thickness and durability on their ball or gate valve. the different in piping thickness will affect the amount of water the pipe can take to drain water to the sump.

as for the sump tank glass thickness, 8mm is fine for 42inch if the width and height isnt too great.

plan well and have fun! big tank is fun but any mistake made will be very costly. :P

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed

• SRC Supporter

hi bro can u explain more on how u gonna make the gravel work?

btw the power from ur return is not sufficient to make ur flow sufficient from this diagram. too much headloss. maybe u can consider something stronger. :)

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed

hi bro can u explain more on how u gonna make the gravel work?

btw the power from ur return is not sufficient to make ur flow sufficient from this diagram. too much headloss. maybe u can consider something stronger. :)

oh then what else pump i can go for larger than 16000l/h laguna

Hi all after been though alot of good and bad bout marine plan to upgrade to 6ft for now

tank will be

12mm glass 72 x 24 x 30

Bro, if your home layout is not a constrain, you might wanna consider increase your width and reduce the height...may be 30 width and 24 height instead. This will allow your tank with better 'depth' and easier in-tank maintenance/scaping.

Treat others the way you wanna be treated...

ya initialy this is also my thought as well, but cause of don't wanna have a small walk way for a baby walker In a few mths time.

So in the end my wife said 24'' is max i can go height is not a problem to her

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all have done a few mod on the tank setup

1. the gravel siphon waste water system is done and it work great tested with tap water

2. sand bed decided to use grade 3 as the filter net hole is quite big

3. algea scrubber is done and now left only the piping still on the way

hi there here are the tank light up on three set 180w maxspect

!!! 1st time see so many maxspect used for a tank... hehe.....

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member

HEY your eggcrate and PVC pipe is like ours but just that you use your pipes to remove the water from below and mine is to let little critters crawl through! LOL Looking good... and I LIKE the 3 maxspect all lighted up! looks GREAT! :)

Cheers

Desi

Cheers, ;)

Desi

Sheldon (TBBT): A little misunderstanding? Galileo and the Pope had a little misunderstanding...

here are the tank setup with completed job on sand bed

only running on 1set maxspect as the 2set is with dr_evil wait till get back will upload more photo (As photo said a thousand words LOL)

currently running on tap water first to test out and take this chance to rinse the sand

i've open the siphon valve guess what wow the flow was strong like this in future i can also use as water maintance

post-15847-12698341444_thumb.jpg

post-15847-12698342482475_thumb.jpg

post-15847-12698342829265_thumb.jpg

HEY your eggcrate and PVC pipe is like ours but just that you use your pipes to remove the water from below and mine is to let little critters crawl through! LOL Looking good... and I LIKE the 3 maxspect all lighted up! looks GREAT! :)

Cheers

Desi

ya it the same but u mean u leave a hole to deep down ur sand bed for the critters to crawl