Which lfs to get livestocks such as fish n coral

Sorry I knw it is a bit dumb as I know there is several lfs that sell it. But in order to narrow down like one or two lfs which one would u guys recommend so that the travelling distance could greatly reduce. Pls advise which lfs sell at resonable price n of cos the livestock is healthy as well. Thks

• SRC Member

Sorry I knw it is a bit dumb as I know there is several lfs that sell it. But in order to narrow down like one or two lfs which one would u guys recommend so that the travelling distance could greatly reduce. Pls advise which lfs sell at resonable price n of cos the livestock is healthy as well. Thks

Irwana! ML!

• SRC Member

each reefer has their own preference and choice (customer loyalty),

so there will be many different opinions on this..

my only advice is,

avoid the LFS from yishun if you wanna get healthy LS..

one of the first few advice given to me when i was a newbie by many..

My Decomissioned 2ft Cube: (31st March 2011)

Carpe Diem~!!!

My Current 4ft X 2ft X 2ft:

• SRC Member

Actually I think you don't really have a choice cos you are bound by the selection of fishes haha. You will notice that different LFS will have various shipments of livestock from different regions. It's not as if we are comparing supermarket where the stocks will all be the same islandwide. Usually I think reefers base their LFS visits on where the shipments are at ;)

My 1.5ft nano cube

My 24G nano tank (Decommed)

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.

And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

-- Jack Handey

Aquamarin and GO for me. That's the only 2 places that my kids would want to accompany me. If Pasir Ris, they would complain too much.

And I have to bring them, coz if I buy new stuffs and CFO ask, I just say your kids want them. :)

• SRC Member

If you want healthy fishes and able to test feed whether the fish eats pellets, go for Sealife. They treat all their fishes well, even if it's a chromis. I also like to go T95, always have nice corals to buy and the price is much cheaper than outside.

• SRC Member

If you want healthy fishes and able to test feed whether the fish eats pellets, go for Sealife. They treat all their fishes well, even if it's a chromis. I also like to go T95, always have nice corals to buy and the price is much cheaper than outside.

+1 on T95. Going there is always like a treasure hunt, always have hidden gems in some dark corner.

My 1.5ft nano cube

-- Jack Handey

which area do you stay, work/ study bro?

I stay in Jurong area and work in Tuas area... all west area.... buying NSW where would u recommend for those staying in west area??? Now at this stage, I'm monitoring the water... currently, Ammonia is 0 n nitrite is 0.1..... haiz dont know still need to monitor how long for it to be cycled... normally how frequent u all check on the water parameter during cycling stage??? 2 days once or ????

I stay in Jurong area and work in Tuas area... all west area.... buying NSW where would u recommend for those staying in west area??? Now at this stage, I'm monitoring the water... currently, Ammonia is 0 n nitrite is 0.1..... haiz dont know still need to monitor how long for it to be cycled... normally how frequent u all check on the water parameter during cycling stage??? 2 days once or ????

Go to Coral Farm at LCK lane 6F. $2 per pack of 10 litre NSW. Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate at 0ppm so far. Salinity: 1.021 most times. Water well packed with 2 layer of plastic bag and metal clip so car will not up lorry.

Jireh Marine at old CCK also has NSW.... I dunno if i suay or what but last time i kena 20ppm for nitrates. $3 for 10 litre.

Iwarna by far cheapest. $1 per 13 litre NSW. But better prepare container/newspaper else water all over car boot. Actually go there quite fast by car from Tuas cos i normally drive wife to Tuas then go Iwarna. 30 min.

Personal opinion, Ah Beng's (near Iwarna) livestock is usually cheaper but everything also say can survive. Bought a heliofungia and sponge (tough corals to keep)and all up lorry after a few months.

ML, livestock a bit more expensive but apparently good survivability.

GO. Expensive corals in general. More SPS and high end corals but corals WOW.

Reef Depot: more peripherals less livestocks

CF: A lot of exotic crabs, shrimps, fish. More ex than Ah Beng by quite a bit. Got GST but livestock so far very good survival rate.

my 2 cents worth

Hi Bro,

I stay at jurong area too. You can try Coral Farm which is located at LCK Lane 6F (Hope i get the address right), fishes are quite healthy but prices quoted are b/f GST.

For myself, usually i get fishes from Irwana, Sealife, ML, CF and recently, from LCK, steven. For NSW, is a strict buy from irwana only as i find water parameters like nitrate is consistent but as the bros' have mentioned, the packaging might leak so recommended to have a staro-foam box or best, a jelly-can.

Tank Size: 3 x 3 x 2 with 3.5ft cabinet

can check out the locations of these LFS in the LFS thread.

those near to your locations are :

CF, LCK, ML, JM

if you have time for only 1 stop, go CF. Large variety of fishes and corals at good prices. NSW can get from CF then.

ML most of the time has small little fishes for nano tanks

JM, buy only fishes. corals tends to be a bit overpriced.

LCK close vicinity to CF. mainly fishes.

you need vehicle to get to CF, LCK.

For JM, you can take Qianhu shuttlebus from CCK interchange.

when you head to city, you can visit SL, GO, AM

SL - very healthy fishes. corals - mainly softies.

GO - nice but expensive corals. My only advice is that if you are newbie into corals like me, then avoid going there alone cause you might pay over the odds for very normal corals especially on shipment days.

AM - fishes/ corals/ lots of eqpt and marine merchandise.

When you head to the east, you can visit Iwarna, Ah beng, Pinacle, I aquarium, Kitzo

These are places you need to go. lots of varieties, reasonable pricing and they are clustered in vicinty.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

Lol. very detailed and honest view. Just to add, for CF, not everything is expensive. You will be surprised how cheap some livestock can be when compared to others....but they are consistent in their pricing. just post your dream fishes and ppl can advice. lol.

Go to Coral Farm at LCK lane 6F. $2 per pack of 10 litre NSW. Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate at 0ppm so far. Salinity: 1.021 most times. Water well packed with 2 layer of plastic bag and metal clip so car will not up lorry.

Jireh Marine at old CCK also has NSW.... I dunno if i suay or what but last time i kena 20ppm for nitrates. $3 for 10 litre.

Iwarna by far cheapest. $1 per 13 litre NSW. But better prepare container/newspaper else water all over car boot. Actually go there quite fast by car from Tuas cos i normally drive wife to Tuas then go Iwarna. 30 min.

Personal opinion, Ah Beng's (near Iwarna) livestock is usually cheaper but everything also say can survive. Bought a heliofungia and sponge (tough corals to keep)and all up lorry after a few months.

ML, livestock a bit more expensive but apparently good survivability.

GO. Expensive corals in general. More SPS and high end corals but corals WOW.

Reef Depot: more peripherals less livestocks

CF: A lot of exotic crabs, shrimps, fish. More ex than Ah Beng by quite a bit. Got GST but livestock so far very good survival rate.

my 2 cents worth

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

• SRC Member

Hi Bro,

I stay at jurong area too. You can try Coral Farm which is located at LCK Lane 6F (Hope i get the address right), fishes are quite healthy but prices quoted are b/f GST.

For myself, usually i get fishes from Irwana, Sealife, ML, CF and recently, from LCK, steven. For NSW, is a strict buy from irwana only as i find water parameters like nitrate is consistent but as the bros' have mentioned, the packaging might leak so recommended to have a staro-foam box or best, a jelly-can.

wah brother..u stay in JW and go all the way to irwana for nsw....admirable (clap clap)...

l7304smr.jpg

If i buy 1 pk of the NSW from example Iwarna.. i had to remove that amount of water from the tank and replace with the NSW which i had bought from Iwarna... for that amount of water that u guys remove of the tank.... how u all estimate so that the amount is the same amount we buy from the LFS.... hope no confuse u all.... tongue.gif

Next question if now my ammonia is 0 and nitrite is 0.1... base on your professional.. how long u think i need to wait for the tank to be cycled since this tank with live rocks which i bought from bro qiang last week ... Pls advise. thanks.

• SRC Member

If your nitrite is dropping from 0.1 instead of increasing, then it should happen anytime in the next few days.

Anyway for water change, use your bucket as a guide lor. Medium size bucket is around 12 litres, large bucket is around 20 litres. If you take out too much can always put back in (don't pour away immediately).

My 1.5ft nano cube

-- Jack Handey

• SRC Member

If i buy 1 pk of the NSW from example Iwarna.. i had to remove that amount of water from the tank and replace with the NSW which i had bought from Iwarna... for that amount of water that u guys remove of the tank.... how u all estimate so that the amount is the same amount we buy from the LFS.... hope no confuse u all.... tongue.gif

Next question if now my ammonia is 0 and nitrite is 0.1... base on your professional.. how long u think i need to wait for the tank to be cycled since this tank with live rocks which i bought from bro qiang last week ... Pls advise. thanks.

u have to estimate...usually for water change its 10-20%...of course there r reefers who change more than that..i'm talking abt the norm...for 10litres of nsw..its 2 small pails or 3/4 of one big pail...so for the start, dun siphon too much water from yr main tank...

if u use qiang's live rocks and nsw to cycle yr tank, the process will be faster...about 2 weeks to stabilise...and if u use "live" sand plus bacteria will be even faster...one week stabilise liao

l7304smr.jpg

Lol. very detailed and honest view. Just to add, for CF, not everything is expensive. You will be surprised how cheap some livestock can be when compared to others....but they are consistent in their pricing. just post your dream fishes and ppl can advice. lol.

I agree. Anyway, i go Iwarna, Ah Beng, Pinnacle, CF, GO, AM, JM, ML almost every 1-2 week for last 2 months. Quite familiar with common livestocks in each so if u can PM me if u have anything u look for. Tested water from iwarna, AM, JM, CF. All low to zero nitrates except JM. For small crabs and shrimps, still find Ah Beng cheapest. Eg. Randall pistol $9 in CF. $5 in Ah Beng. High fin shrimp goby: CF $14, Ah Beng: $5. Sexy shrimp:CF: $6. Ah Beng: 3 for $5-8. Cleaner are similar price.

Different person in Ah Beng quote different price. Get from other than Ah Beng the other slimmer guy. Cheaper by quite a lot. One guy quote $8 for an anemone i like, the other quote $15 (the bigger size guy). Ah Beng $10. Same for firefish $5- 12 depending on who.

Another advice. Try getting water from same place most times. Less parameter change. Corals and shrimps will not so easily up lorry if u do big water change. I got from CF nowadays but last week water change I used AM saltmix for 50% water change for my pico. My skunk cleaner immediately up lorry after water change. Most likely pH, salinity or some parameter shock. Yuma nearly died too. No impact on others so far.

• SRC Member

bros check with u all, i know that during cycling of tank we need to add in market prawn.... for me i add in those transparent white prawn which is used to feed those arowana is it ok??? Please advise. Thanks.

can...fish food like pellets also can, fish meat also can...

l7304smr.jpg