Lemon's butterflyfish dominated reef

yikai

• SRC Member

Lemon, not sure if this method will work for you.. use your hands to stir the water again.. i'm sure these residue are now collecting at one spot on the bottom of your tank... if you stir up the water and mix them again, it should clear up quite fast... Hope it works for you if you try!

thumbsup.gif

A man with a reef tank is a man with an empty wallet...

• Senior Reefer

Lemon, not sure if this method will work for you.. use your hands to stir the water again.. i'm sure these residue are now collecting at one spot on the bottom of your tank... if you stir up the water and mix them again, it should clear up quite fast... Hope it works for you if you try!

thumbsup.gif

nope. tried everything. the residue is calcium carbonate caused by mixing too much salt at one go.

because i dumped one whole pail of salt into the water, momentarily the pH and calcium levels will increase dramatically and not slow enough for it to diffuse and reach saturated levels.

this caused the calcium to precipitate out of solution. like how it will happen when you dose too much calcium and buffer at once. it's called the "snowstorm" effect.

calcium carbonate is very poorly soluble in water (if it's soluble at all...). the only way to remove it is to do so manually as it won't go away by itself.

so i've emptied my sump, scrubbed it clean, and remove all traces of calcium carbonate from there. now the problem is the main tank lol. it's still a winter wonderland.

well, it's a very tedious and expensive lesson to be learnt :P cost me 1 oceanic bucket..

• SRC Member
  • Senior Reefer

I thought you know that the ppt is Calcium Carbonate... They wun dissolve.. Siphon out or direct the wavemaker at the ppt and run untill all get trapped by your wool..

i did. u know how much ppt there was!?

THIS MORNING. SUMP TANK 2CM THICK. and my wool SOAKING in ppt. damn man, i just cleared the sump of all the ppt.

i did. u know how much ppt there was!?

THIS MORNING. SUMP TANK 2CM THICK. and my wool SOAKING in ppt. damn man, i just cleared the sump of all the ppt.

Eeee... Okay.. Didnt know it was that BAD.. You might need to check your parameter if it is within range...

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

• Senior Reefer

Eeee... Okay.. Didnt know it was that BAD.. You might need to check your parameter if it is within range...

right no i don't care about parameters first. get rid of the ppt first priority.

besides its for cycling. as long as the basic parameters like salinity, ph within range, is fine. if calcium, mg abit high or low, i will let it slide.

right no i don't care about parameters first. get rid of the ppt first priority.

besides its for cycling. as long as the basic parameters like salinity, ph within range, is fine. if calcium, mg abit high or low, i will let it slide.

You will get ionic inbalance if any of the parameter fall too low and everything start going haywire... PPT best solution is siphon liao.. no choice..

Member of:

• Senior Reefer

You will get ionic inbalance if any of the parameter fall too low and everything start going haywire... PPT best solution is siphon liao.. no choice..

got ppt usually means the parameter ###### up liao. otherwise won't have ppt in the first place.

worse come to worst drain everything out and re-salt. PROPERLY.

:(

got ppt usually means the parameter ###### up liao. otherwise won't have ppt in the first place.

worse come to worst drain everything out and re-salt. PROPERLY.

:(

No need... Just test den see.. LOL...

Member of:

• SRC Member

i bet lemon is going ==> :yahoo:

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

• SRC Member

I never thought the day will come whereby I will look at a COMPRESSOR and think to myself : YUM!!!!:wub:

:yeah::yeah::yeah:

Cheers, ;)

Desi

Sheldon (TBBT): A little misunderstanding? Galileo and the Pope had a little misunderstanding...

• Senior Reefer

i bet lemon is going ==> :yahoo:

actually no. i accidently spill a big pail of saltwater and my house is flooded now. so is my kitchen. and all my rugs are drenched in saltwater.

need to go find some rugs somewhere and use lol.

I never thought the day will come whereby I will look at a COMPRESSOR and think to myself : YUM!!!!:wub:

:yeah::yeah::yeah:

it's nice isn't it?

• SRC Member

nice and neat work of the trunking... for the main tank, have you turn off the wave maker?? i suppose if you stop all forms of current the ppt (since insoluble) will "gather" at the bottom which makes it easier for siphoning?

A man with a reef tank is a man with an empty wallet...