Lemon's butterflyfish dominated reef

yikai

• Senior Reefer

have been looking for a nice schooling fish besides the common green chromis. few months ago i've settled on getting chromis vanderbilti.

have been passively searching but has been always at the back of my head. today was at cf and digiman found a tank with some of them. i suddenly remembered about them.

they're very beautiful but not many people know about them.

imagine a school of these.

post-15755-12769659835033_thumb.jpg

post-15755-12769659925002_thumb.jpg

have been looking for a nice schooling fish besides the common green chromis. few months ago i've settled on getting chromis vanderbilti.

have been passively searching but has been always at the back of my head. today was at cf and digiman found a tank with some of them. i suddenly remembered about them.

they're very beautiful but not many people know about them.

imagine a school of these.

It is ex lor... But it is nice.. I like also..

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

• Senior Reefer

Nice chromis... but given the price tag, wouldn't it be better to keep anthias instead?

i know i've only been reefing on my own for like 2 years, but i've grown tired of common fishes like anthias.

unique fishes like that chromis will be a breath of fresh air. and even if i were to get anthias, i will probably get something that no one knows about or has bothered keeping.

kena poison liao. my taste became so skewed. but it's good i guess. will be so boring if the fishes i keep are similar to every other reefers'.

• Senior Reefer

If you truly like them, that's fine, but don't go for rare stuff for the sake that they are rare. Sometimes, simplicity is beauty.

if there's anything i feel very strongly about since the beginning, is only buying stuff that i like. and not be a conformist because it's rare or uncommon.

there are plenty of rare and uncommon chromises out there. but the one i posted happened to be my favourite out of the bunch.

same goes for anthias. i like bartletts. but i also like some of the other more uncommon ones. and since i have tried bartletts before, i'll got for the other alternative.

i didn't say i wanted to buy rare and uncommon stuff coz they are rare lol. money is precious and i don't throw it away like as though i print it lol.

:P

• SRC Member

2 very very very VERYYYYYYY rare wrasses.

Cirrhilabrus roseafascia.

both are very young males. at only 3 inch. they look like female flame wrasses now but when they grow bigger, the characteristic roseafascia appearance will take form. adult roseafascia wrasse have an extremely long tapering rhomboid tail that is almost half the length of it's body. it is also the largest fairy wrasse in the genus and can attain a maximum of 8-9 inch.

but it's unlikely to grow so big in the aquarium. roseafascia is an extremely rare fish in singapore and i'm so fortunate to have found it together with digiman.

they are in my holding tub only until tomorrow. i will be decomming my holding tub tomorrow and all fish will be temporarily kept with a reefer friend here.

here's the picture. they are stressed now and the stress colouration of young roseafascia wrasses look VERY similar, in fact, almost identical to female flame wrasse (which is probably why many reefers over looked it). but look carefully and you will see the blue spot on their lower ventral fins that is a 100% tell tale sign of roseafascias.

i wouldnt have realise that even if i took a look at it. you really got sharp eyes. :wacko:

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

time to jio jio steven to bring in more.....lol. Good catch.

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

If you have shoaling fish then get cardinals. They are more pack together and less aggressive. There are some very nice cardinals out there

But sometimes it is difficult find those nice ones... Only blue eye cardinal is readily available...

Member of:

• Senior Reefer

If you have shoaling fish then get cardinals. They are more pack together and less aggressive. There are some very nice cardinals out there

any suggestions on cardinals? most of them look very boring.

But sometimes it is difficult find those nice ones... Only blue eye cardinal is readily available...

You just have to be patience and sometimes they may pop up in some lfs, especially Ah beng. Have you seen those than chingcai has?

• Senior Reefer

You just have to be patience and sometimes they may pop up in some lfs, especially Ah beng. Have you seen those than chingcai has?

chingchai 1 is apogon sealei? seal's cardinal fish. have kept those before. very nice but can grow quite big

• Senior Reefer

my tank has water coming out from below the cabinet. checked my piping and tank but everything looks ok. not wet at all. the water is coming from somewhere thats why i say its "leaking" with the "" lol.

could it be water spill out due to accident and trapped under the cabinet? and then it's slowly flowing out?

anyway it's not much. but everytime i clean, it will stay dry for awhile then a little water will seep back out, then dry again then a little seep back out.

each time the water come out lesser and lesser.

i have a feeling i have water trapped underneath and it's only flowing out now.

definitely not leaking tank or pipe otherwise will have alot more water and at a constant rate.

my tank has water coming out from below the cabinet. checked my piping and tank but everything looks ok. not wet at all. the water is coming from somewhere thats why i say its "leaking" with the "" lol.

could it be water spill out due to accident and trapped under the cabinet? and then it's slowly flowing out?

anyway it's not much. but everytime i clean, it will stay dry for awhile then a little water will seep back out, then dry again then a little seep back out.

each time the water come out lesser and lesser.

i have a feeling i have water trapped underneath and it's only flowing out now.

definitely not leaking tank or pipe otherwise will have alot more water and at a constant rate.

I guess you will have to wait and see if there is anymore leak...

Member of:

chingchai 1 is apogon sealei? seal's cardinal fish. have kept those before. very nice but can grow quite big

Yup to about 3 inches. If you are looking at smaller ones go for Apogon Neonotes aka mini cardinals. Apogon cyanosoma is quite nice as well due to the orange on its body.

Anyway most cardinal are rather unappealing in terms of colour but their ability to pack closely together in large nos. which most fishes, even chromis, can't is what make them unique. Thats why nv buy 1 or a few cardinals because they will nv look nice. A shoal of them will be amazing sight though. I have seen about 30 mini cardinals together and they are amazing!

Yup to about 3 inches. If you are looking at smaller ones go for Apogon Neonotes aka mini cardinals. Apogon cyanosoma is quite nice as well due to the orange on its body.

Anyway most cardinal are rather unappealing in terms of colour but their ability to pack closely together in large nos. which most fishes, even chromis, can't is what make them unique. Thats why nv buy 1 or a few cardinals because they will nv look nice. A shoal of them will be amazing sight though. I have seen about 30 mini cardinals together and they are amazing!

Apogon Neonotes and Parvalus is impossible to keep.. lol... They just wither away and require frequent feeding..

Member of:

• Senior Reefer

i've kept cyanosoma before. they just ended up killing each other until left 1.

as for sealei, it's very nice. the blue eyes against the white body is very stark. but they grow too big for my liking. maybe will try them again. they're one of the nicer cardinals to keep because of the striking white body.

can they be kept in a shoal without fighting? i've kept a pair of them before only.