Lemon's butterflyfish dominated reef

yikai

• Senior Reefer

i'm only using a 2 tube T5 to light up the tank while i take a picture of the scape haha. the temporary T5 is 3ft and my tank is too big to support it. so it's slanted on the right side thus the dark area you circled.

will be using 2x 250W MH, 10k bulbs. to counter the potential yellowish colour from the 10k, will be adding 4 tubes of blue T5 39W.

the spot where you circle has flow but is very minimal compared to the rest of the tanks. fear not, because i've not finish buying my wavemakers yet.

i am currently using a 6025, 6045, 6055 and 6105. will be adding another 6105.

• Senior Reefer

Vertical rock here is a waste of prime estate for SPS.

that rock is connected to the giant piece of rock. i can shift it slightly to the right so that the are you circled is less cluttered for SPS :)

bro thanks alot alot for the comments. it really helps! keep them coming if got any left :P

• SRC Member

i'm only using a 2 tube T5 to light up the tank while i take a picture of the scape haha. the temporary T5 is 3ft and my tank is too big to support it. so it's slanted on the right side thus the dark area you circled.

will be using 2x 250W MH, 10k bulbs. to counter the potential yellowish colour from the 10k, will be adding 4 tubes of blue T5 39W.

the spot where you circle has flow but is very minimal compared to the rest of the tanks. fear not, because i've not finish buying my wavemakers yet.

i am currently using a 6025, 6045, 6055 and 6105. will be adding another 6105.

Why so many small inefficient wavemaker? I got a 6055 and not effective in my 4ft... can only move the polyp of one colony not the second one behind.

I think at least need 3x 6105... Oh ya for 6105 give 2ft (safy distance) clearance away from the first SPS

MH cast alot of shadow... The tall rock on that spot will likely cast shadow, plus low flow area. good spot for soft coral :thumbsup:

• Senior Reefer

Why so many small inefficient wavemaker? I got a 6055 and not effective in my 4ft... can only move the polyp of one colony not the second one behind.

I think at least need 3x 6105... Oh ya for 6105 give 2ft (safy distance) clearance away from the first SPS

MH cast alot of shadow... The tall rock on that spot will likely cast shadow, plus low flow area. good spot for soft coral :thumbsup:

the small inefficient wavemakers are from my old 3ft tank.

most likely will use them either for removing dead spot, or to aim at 1 big colony of SPS.

yep the shadow spots are not all a bad thing. my tank won't be 100% SPS. need some shaded apreas for softies and LPS too! ;)

and thanks!

• Senior Reefer

since you likely to place SPS within 6 inches below surface.

Do take note the distance from wavemaker to SPS..

ok. too much wave will cause SPS to die? like if kena blasted by a 6105 within 2 ft.

• SRC Member

cos i kana before ma...rescape the whole right portion of mine tank for that matter.

All the more that your advice carries weight! Glad that you are sharing your experiences so that we don't make the same mistakes. :thumbsup:

it's ok digiman :) can't help it. if it decides to die in your high expert care then too bad for it. just dispose the body bah.

yea hope the roseafascia don't jump or anything hehe. btw will the super long rhomboid tail develop in our tanks? or will it only develop half way or not develop at all. i'm aware that some fishes won't grow or show their natural form unless captured from the wild.

anyway, do they look like this in your tank? deep pink

I jux reached home and found your mitratus dead. My prayers were not answered. But on the good side all three wrasses are showing themselves and swimming in the open. The big lineatus seem to be keeping the two roseafascia in check causing the two to swim tightly together. This goes on both roseafascia will stay submale or female and neither will grow into big male w nice rhomboid tail. Maybe when u fetch them back u can build a small harem of other juvenile wrasses to promote their growth into alpha male. And their current pink has faded a bit compared to yesterday because they've grown familiarity and comfort w the surroundings, but they still hold the same intensity of pink as the second photo u posted. On the other hand the lineatus is playing king showing a lot of colours and character, think i'm growing fond of the fish.

I jux reached home and found your mitratus dead. My prayers were not answered. But on the good side all three wrasses are showing themselves and swimming in the open. The big lineatus seem to be keeping the two roseafascia in check causing the two to swim tightly together. This goes on both roseafascia will stay submale or female and neither will grow into big male w nice rhomboid tail. Maybe when u fetch them back u can build a small harem of other juvenile wrasses to promote their growth into alpha male. And their current pink has faded a bit compared to yesterday because they've grown familiarity and comfort w the surroundings, but they still hold the same intensity of pink as the second photo u posted. On the other hand the lineatus is playing king showing a lot of colours and character, think i'm growing fond of the fish.

Eh? You got buy the lineatus meh?

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

• Senior Reefer

meh. a dead mitratus is not a fun mitratus :(

oh well nevermind. i wonder how the other 3 at reborn are doing. thanks for the help though!

lineatus is a nice wrasse. but like we've agreed, they do grow very fat and dull after awhile. but if it's flashing at the roseafascia, it should maintain it's colouration for awhile more. when they flash, the ana| and dorsal fins turns white right? and pectoral fins turn orange. very nice.

it's ok. i will get the roseafascia back after a month so the dominance of the lineatus won't last long. just hope the roseafascia don't jump out from your lineatus.

Eh? You got buy the lineatus meh?

Yes i bought one when i went back to LCK on the next day w an intention to get the unusual personifer but irritating steven wans to keep the fish for himself. I dun wish to end up not buying anything again like the latz case the day before and so got one lineatus.

meh. a dead mitratus is not a fun mitratus :(

oh well nevermind. i wonder how the other 3 at reborn are doing. thanks for the help though!

lineatus is a nice wrasse. but like we've agreed, they do grow very fat and dull after awhile. but if it's flashing at the roseafascia, it should maintain it's colouration for awhile more. when they flash, the ana| and dorsal fins turns white right? and pectoral fins turn orange. very nice.

it's ok. i will get the roseafascia back after a month so the dominance of the lineatus won't last long. just hope the roseafascia don't jump out from your lineatus.

The lineatus is not really flashing at them yet. I've a v high water column now because i flattened all the rockworks, so hopefully tat has decreased their chance of jumping. As for the lineatus, I'll sell it before it turn into a fat and ugly fish!

So sad to hear about it... Lemon, i think you just buy fish after you tank is up... Most of the fish you wan dun take well to QT???

Member of:

Yes i bought one when i went back to LCK on the next day w an intention to get the unusual personifer but irritating steven wans to keep the fish for himself. I dun wish to end up not buying anything again like the latz case the day before and so got one lineatus.

The lineatus is not really flashing at them yet. I've a v high water column now because i flattened all the rockworks, so hopefully tat has decreased their chance of jumping. As for the lineatus, I'll sell it before it turn into a fat and ugly fish!

LOL!!! Same case as the Asfur... You should buy on the day when we went.. Haha..

Member of:

• Senior Reefer

So sad to hear about it... Lemon, i think you just buy fish after you tank is up... Most of the fish you wan dun take well to QT???

remember i posted before. angels and butterflies don't do well in QT.

some reefers here say no no no everything can QT.

ta-da. let my suffering serve as a warning to all reefers here.

i'm not saying they're impossible, but they just don't take QT well.

actually. coz i try all the difficult fish, that's why lol. colini and goldens don't do well at all even in maintank. in qt it's cfm die.

the mitratus is a shocker though. it shouldnt have died. probably un-healthy to begin with but nevermind. but all my other easy fish in QT are still around. my sailfin blennies, and my roseafascia. goes to show that my qt conditions were not that bad afterall. since i do quite strict maintenance...

i already decomm my holding tank :)

• Senior Reefer

LOL!!! Same case as the Asfur... You should buy on the day when we went.. Haha..

no use lol. steven reserved it for himself that day it arrived from the shipping liao :P

Yes the mitratus is most prob dying to begin w since u mentioned this shipment of mitratus is in a v bad shape. Else mitratus should be a v hardy and easy fish. So that serves as a lesson for u not to buy fish on impulse especially during shipment day and where the fishes are not in a v good condition.

• Senior Reefer

Yes the mitratus is most prob dying to begin w since u mentioned this shipment of mitratus is in a v bad shape. Else mitratus should be a v hardy and easy fish. So that serves as a lesson for u not to buy fish on impulse especially during shipment day and where the fishes are not in a v good condition.

yalor :( painful lesson.

out of 4, 1 cloudy eye, 1 ruffled scales, 1 colour not as nice and left 1 which looked the best out of all.

mitratus is the hardiest out of all the tinker's complex if i'm not wrong, and also the most aggressive. such hardy and aggressive fish shouldn't die so easily.

:agreed: :agreed:

Member of: