Lemon's butterflyfish dominated reef

yikai

I introduced all 6 of the (yet to be identified properly) omobranchus blennies in my tank.

it's FANTASTIC to see all 6 of them interacting like a giant family. all of them are busy swimming upside down, darting around the rocks, playing with each other. it's spectacular to see. very interesting social behaviour and i've never seen anything like this in any blenny species.

bro, post some pics of dem leh haha im veri curious...

Main tank: 4.5 x 2.5 x 2
Skimmer: Deltec AP701
Return pump: RD 6

Chiller: Daikin compressor with Titanium coil
Wavemaker: Jebao w-20, Maxspect Gyre xf150

Lighting: 8x54 ATI Sunpower Non-dimmable

Linked tank
Main tank: 2 x 1 x 2
Return: Eheim 1260
Lighting: AI Hydra 26 with controller
Wavemaker: Tunze 6025
My decommed 3 ft setup

• Senior Reefer

bro, post some pics of dem leh haha im veri curious...

there are some pics but very blur, in the ID thread.

i will try taking a video of their behavior. it's very interesting and by far the most sociable blenny i've seen.

I introduced all 6 of the (yet to be identified properly) omobranchus blennies in my tank.

it's FANTASTIC to see all 6 of them interacting like a giant family. all of them are busy swimming upside down, darting around the rocks, playing with each other. it's spectacular to see. very interesting social behaviour and i've never seen anything like this in any blenny species.

This is really cool... LOL...

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

• Senior Reefer

This is really cool... LOL...

yeah. i tried capturing the video but not very clear. best to see it in real life.

fuel and joe came by just now and saw them feeding. very cute the way they slither around to eat the mysis.

and i love how they swim upside down so naturally. i guess all this time living in their habitat forced them to swim in such a way!

after filling everything with FW and running it, noticed this.

the 2 eheims combined are drawing water at such a fast rate that the water level in their compartment is not level with the rest.

i don't foresee it to be a problem at this moment, but the force of water going down everywhere will cause alot of micro bubbles. especially from the flow of water right to left into the eheim compartment.

will need to think of solutions to counter the microbubble problem :)

as for now, everything looks good and running without leaks. peace of mind.

Hi Bro one question how to make the water from the right compartment waterfalling ?

shit cannot upload pix , i mean at your sump tank ... hope u know what i mean..

• Senior Reefer

Hi Bro one question how to make the water from the right compartment waterfalling ?

shit cannot upload pix , i mean at your sump tank ... hope u know what i mean..

it was constructed in such a way that 1 compartment is higher than the other. so the flow of water is like an overflow, splash into the next compartment.

will upload pics when i get home.

• Senior Reefer

Found 6 VERY RARE fairy wrasses today. Cirrhilabrus melanomarginatus.

all 6 are 1-2 inch juveniles. likely to form a mini harem and work out their social order. I've never seen this wrasse in real life before and i've not heard of them being kept in aquariums either. It was a lucky find! and at a good price too!

this is how the juveniles of this rare species look like.

got 6 very tiny juveniles, and 3 of them are feeding already. the other 3 are still hiding. will pass three to digiman as i don't want so many.

from the behavior of the 3 juveniles, can tell that this wrasse is VERY aggressive. Even more so than scott's fairy wrasse. So fierce even when 1-2 inches. can only imagine what they will be like as alpha males....

all three are exhibiting "flaring" and premature flashing behaviour. i.e, fins extended, swim at hight speed. and occasionally chase each other. Probably sorting their dominance. They are not afraid of my large blennies and multibar angelfish, and when the blennies try to chase the wrasses away from their caves, the wrasse chases back. this is 1 wrasse that is not afraid to fight back when provoked. but so far it remains relatively peaceful to everything else except themselves.

it's a good idea to reduce my 6 to 3. :) and with 183 gallons of unobstructed swimming spaces, these juvenile delinquents will be happy for sure!

the good news is, the addition of the wrasses and blennies made my multibar angels much less reclusive.

post-15755-12780739175746_thumb.jpg

post-15755-1278073923298_thumb.jpg

• Senior Reefer

This is the male of this species. it looks quite dull and not colourful.

It looks alot like a scott fairy wrasse except for the tail, which is lanced. I suspect the two species might be very closely related.

post-15755-12780739811451_thumb.jpg

post-15755-12780739866313_thumb.jpg

post-15755-12780739927462_thumb.jpg

• Senior Reefer

some pictures of the juveniles from myself.

some are with flash and some aren't. pardon the blur pictures. the glass is dirty as i don't have a magnet, and there's salt residue on the outside of the glass.

post-15755-12780767571749_thumb.jpg

post-15755-12780767771065_thumb.jpg

post-15755-12780767839314_thumb.jpg

post-15755-12780767929129_thumb.jpg

• Senior Reefer

Holy nice... I also want leh... LOL... Just joking... Not on my list one..

lol actually you want, can.

they will grow bigger than scott's fairy wrasse and they're very aggressive.

i throw 3 into my main tank liao. 3 more in my sump and they are resting coz i just bought them from shipping. will pass 3 to digiman when they are feeding and healthy.

if you want, i can pass you one of my 3. but i dunno how you going to transform the 1inch female into a 6 inch alpha male LOL.

• Senior Reefer

v nice fishes!!!

really? thanks! lol.

i'm quite dissapointed that not many people comment when it comes to exotic or uncommon fishes...

most of the time i find myself talking to myself, or with the same few people who share my interest.

quite a turn off actually.... but nevermind. i'll still post regardless. to cater to those people that are interested as well hehe.

anyway bro braincoral, this fish is nice in my opinion only for the tail and the fins. the body is quite dull for a fairy wrasse. but i've never seen a live specimen in video or in real life so i won't know how it will look in person.

but it's a relatively common fish as far as i know in the wild i think. pity it doesn't make it's way in the industry. i believe mine were an accidental catch

lol actually you want, can.

they will grow bigger than scott's fairy wrasse and they're very aggressive.

i throw 3 into my main tank liao. 3 more in my sump and they are resting coz i just bought them from shipping. will pass 3 to digiman when they are feeding and healthy.

if you want, i can pass you one of my 3. but i dunno how you going to transform the 1inch female into a 6 inch alpha male LOL.

Just joking.. I like the tail only... The head like blunt one?

Member of:

• Senior Reefer

Just joking.. I like the tail only... The head like blunt one?

yes. like a scott's fairy wrasse. blunt also. they are very closely related.

compare the first pic of scott fairy with 2nd pic of a melanomarginatus flashing.

body shape and fin is very similar. scott fairy will also develop a slightly diamondtail with a filament in the middle when they are very large.

post-15755-12780906787082_thumb.jpg

post-15755-127809068583_thumb.jpg

yes. like a scott's fairy wrasse. blunt also. they are very closely related.

compare the first pic of scott fairy with 2nd pic of a melanomarginatus flashing.

body shape and fin is very similar. scott fairy will also develop a slightly diamondtail with a filament in the middle when they are very large.

That is one thing I am not very sure about the scott having diamondtail.. LOL...

Member of:

• Senior Reefer

see this is a picture of a ridiculously alpha male cook island scott fairy.

their tale will develop a "sword" when they're very big.

so far only seen 2 aussy scotts with this tail.

one thing bad about scott's fairy is they will drop colour very very very jia lat in home tanks. 100% will drop. never heard of anyone retaining the colours before.

will fade to a solid dark green, dark blue, or worse, very very dark almost black. usually only fins will retain some colour... this is 1 wrasse i will never buy. waste money only.

post-15755-1278091076695_thumb.jpg

see this is a picture of a ridiculously alpha male cook island scott fairy.

their tale will develop a "sword" when they're very big.

so far only seen 2 aussy scotts with this tail.

one thing bad about scott's fairy is they will drop colour very very very jia lat in home tanks. 100% will drop. never heard of anyone retaining the colours before.

will fade to a solid dark green, dark blue, or worse, very very dark almost black. usually only fins will retain some colour... this is 1 wrasse i will never buy. waste money only.

Thats nice... I haven seen a black one before... Only saw dark green and dark blue...

Member of:

• Senior Reefer

Thats nice... I haven seen a black one before... Only saw dark green and dark blue...

i saw a black one before... reddevilz's old scott fairy was the dullest scott's i've ever seen.

actually not black lah. just very very dark blueish green until looks black.

but scott's is one of the nicest wrasses. when they first appear in shipment, they are mind blowing. my fav is the fiji and cook island one where they have the giant red spot on a blue body.

aussy 1 is solid green body but the fins are very very nice. black, yellow and orange.

but after awhile, all turn very ugly.

if someone can find the secret to this fish, it will be very very amazing.

i saw a black one before... reddevilz's old scott fairy was the dullest scott's i've ever seen.

actually not black lah. just very very dark blueish green until looks black.

but scott's is one of the nicest wrasses. when they first appear in shipment, they are mind blowing. my fav is the fiji and cook island one where they have the giant red spot on a blue body.

aussy 1 is solid green body but the fins are very very nice. black, yellow and orange.

but after awhile, all turn very ugly.

if someone can find the secret to this fish, it will be very very amazing.

Dunno what is the secret also.. Female scott wun help also..

Member of:

• Senior Reefer

Dunno what is the secret also.. Female scott wun help also..

nothing helps.

female scott dont help, summore female scott's very rare.

even a harem of female scott's is useless

and cyclopeeze too.