Lemon's butterflyfish dominated reef

yikai

• Senior Reefer

holiday very free.

so take more photos.

i soo love the turbinaria. my fav coral now hehe.

purplish/brown base but the yellow polyp so striking and outstanding! absolutely love it.

now must wait for walt smith's pure yellow turbinaria.

SPS are so close together now. must trim them in a few months. but i like the temporary compact look... to hide all the empty spaces since the SPS's are so small.

post-15755-068251700 1292210742_thumb.jp

post-15755-075683100 1292210749_thumb.jp

post-15755-081495900 1292210757_thumb.jp

holiday very free.

so take more photos.

purplish/brown base but the yellow polyp so striking and outstanding! absolutely love it.

SPS are so close together now. must trim them in a few months. but i like the temporary compact look... to hide all the empty spaces since the SPS's are so small.

veri nice colors :)

Main tank: 4.5 x 2.5 x 2
Skimmer: Deltec AP701
Return pump: RD 6

Chiller: Daikin compressor with Titanium coil
Wavemaker: Jebao w-20, Maxspect Gyre xf150

Lighting: 8x54 ATI Sunpower Non-dimmable

Linked tank
Main tank: 2 x 1 x 2
Return: Eheim 1260
Lighting: AI Hydra 26 with controller
Wavemaker: Tunze 6025
My decommed 3 ft setup

holiday very free.

so take more photos.

woah bro!

I think you are going to have some serious real estate problem on your SPS side in the near future! Time to do some control! Don't end up like me like that ok! :P

Otherwise, you got quite a balanced tank there! Makes me envious everytime looking at your tank. The size and depth and colours and variety of corals are just soooo... :welldone:

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

• Senior Reefer

marco and soul.

i deliberately placed my mini colonies near each other. i'm well aware of SPS's stinging abilities.

but i like compact look and find smaller colonies like that easier to maintain. as such, any future "touching" will be pruned and my colonies can be maintained at a smaller, more easily managable size.

thanks for the concern.

as for frags, wait bah. most of them are frags to begin with!

• Senior Reefer

No wonder you are so happy today, this turbinaria colour is indeed unique ! Good catch :thumbsup:

ya lor it's my new fav coral.

oh i love the plating. my flame hawk likes resting on it. so nice.

summore so hardy to take care!

why never cross my mind to go buy this lovely coral!

• Senior Reefer

I wonder will the purple base change colour if it is expose to high light ? So i think you current placement is good, can keep the purpish base intact :rolleyes:

haha the base is actually purplish brown lah.

not pure purple.

chingchai from thailand has the same piece as me but his one has a very much more purple base than mine. so yes i think they can be coloured up!

i'll wait for your next SPS sale! i have just thought of getting something and this time i must buy from you! :):cheers: :cheers:

• Senior Reefer

Lemon, don't need to wait. Since you are having holidays now, meet cedric for breakfast and drop by his place.

Muahaha. Evil grin.

"that's what I do when I'm on leave"

hahaha so evil.

it's brilliant!

Anytime Lemon, you are most welcome over....and Wilson too ( can always detour a little right ?)...muahaha

Let's meet up and have kopi together, am sure we have lot's to chat about *blink blink"

Treat others the way you wanna be treated...

• Senior Reefer

Bought a very nice big colony of Acropora desalwii yesterday.

It was a gorgeous tabling fanning piece. but it was very big. Too big in fact, so i had no choice but to frag it into smaller, more managable pieces.

It's not something i wanted to do and the nice beautiful shape was gone, but now at least i have many frags of them to plant around my tank.

here's one of the larger frags....

post-15755-032566100 1292743551_thumb.jp

• Senior Reefer

I found this fish at Ah beng on Friday.

It's a hybrid between Paracheilinus filamentosus (Filamented flasher wrasse) and Paracheilinus flavianalis (Yellow fin flasher wrasse).

How i know it's a hybrid? Hybrids between filamentosus and flavianalis are common but very hard to spot because the offspring are so variable and look very similar to both parent speices. So many people don't know and probably don't care that it's a hybrid! Except maybe me. I'm too much of a fish nerd to not care and such things excite me very easily.

Based on characeristics..

Tail

Filamented flasher wrasse have very long tail filaments which give them a lunated swallowtail look.

Yellow fin flasher wrasses have blunt squar ended tails.

The resulting hybrid from the picture has a double emarginated tail. Meaning it is a cross between a lunate tail and a blunt end tail.

Dorsal

Filaented flasher wrasses have very long dorsal filaments. They typically have 5-6 filaments. That's alot.

Yellow fin flasher wrases have only 1-4 filaments. Most commonly they are only seen with 1 filaent. Occasionally 2, and super super rarely, 3-4. (i have personally never seen them with anything more than 2 filaments).

The resulting hybrid has 3 filaments. Also, the 1st and 2nd filament in my hybrid are coloured red (characteristics of yellow fin flasher).

Anal fin

Filamented flasher wrases typically have red anal fins (Geographic variants may have other colours)

Yellow fin flashers have well....yellow!

My hybrid has a pure yellow anal fin which is inherited from the yellow fin flasher.

Like i said, such tiny attention to details throw many people off but i find thrill in looking for unusual specimens...

even though majority of the population can argue that it looks like any ordinary filament flasher! i paid the same price for it anyway

post-15755-076442000 1292744052_thumb.jp

Bought a very nice big colony of Acropora desalwii yesterday.

I love the desalwi. But too bad i cant keep SPS, unless i find one tat dun need lights!

I found this fish at Ah beng on Friday.

It's a hybrid between Paracheilinus filamentosus (Filamented flasher wrasse) and Paracheilinus flavianalis (Yellow fin flasher wrasse).

Wa a paper on identifying filament x yellow fin!

I'm one of them who care about these hybrids, this kind of subtle hybrid is better left to a fairy wrasse geek like u :)