Lemon's butterflyfish dominated reef

yikai

• Senior Reefer

Why, I cant find this shrimp anytime we go LFS???

i only saw this 1 time. alot of them but i didn't buy.

this 2 are from fuel. he went CF and found some then i got 2 from him..

hope my marginalis doesn't eat it in future. my marginalis tried eating clownfish before.

• Senior Reefer

If by any chance, trimming the xenia let me know. LOL...

only the browner one i can frag.

the white one is one big stalk with 3 smaller stalk. if i frag then no more liao.

i only saw this 1 time. alot of them but i didn't buy.

this 2 are from fuel. he went CF and found some then i got 2 from him..

hope my marginalis doesn't eat it in future. my marginalis tried eating clownfish before.

Hi, how much is the plumosus shrimp from CF ??

:ThanxSmiley:

• Senior Reefer

Erm... what do you mean when you say, strong pulser? They pump real hard and fast in-spite of the current? :upsidedown:

yes. pulses very strongly.

xenias pulse faster in lower flow, and slower to non pulsing in higher flows.

• Senior Reefer

Then mine must be a strong pulser too! Its swaying quite a bit with the MP10, yet still pulsing. :thumbsup:

yup.

they can tolerate flow but i feel xenias look nicer in soft gentle currents with very little movement. just adjusted my wavemakers to remove a dead spot but the spot where the xenias were in, became too strong...

so i had to move them :( can't find a nice place to put them

• SRC Member

I've seen reefers keeping xenias in their sump tanks as a natural nutrient exporter (phosphate removal). I wonder how effective that is... nevertheless, its quite fun to see so many pulsing in the low flow area of the sump!

• Senior Reefer

I've seen reefers keeping xenias in their sump tanks as a natural nutrient exporter (phosphate removal). I wonder how effective that is... nevertheless, its quite fun to see so many pulsing in the low flow area of the sump!

yes i've heard of this form of nutrient export.

not sure how effective it is though. macroalgae will be much useful.

• Senior Reefer

super long awaited vanuatu shipment brought in 7 x Paracheilinus rubricaudalis

A.K.A, red tailed flasher wrasse, or vanuatu's flasher wrasse.

been waiting for this for very very long, and it's the rarest of the mccosker's complex, which includes (mccoskeri, flavianalis, attenuatus and rubricaudalis). The red tailed flasher boasts of a very sturdy and strong dorsal filament unlike the mccosker and other of the sister species.

got them at a good price with some other things so cannot resist.

a pic of them being acclimated. stress colour so don't ask me why they look so cui. but the dorsal fin filament is clearly shown.

also, this fish has a very unique anal fin that is characteristic to only this species.

post-15755-078917200 1280510338_thumb.jp

post-15755-017245600 1280510343_thumb.jp

• Senior Reefer

the rock anemone (phymanthus crucifer).

wedged itself nicely into this little crevice. i'm in love with it. i actually had 2 but one did not make it while it was housed with a friend during the many months that my tank was setting up.

post-15755-092719700 1280547938_thumb.jp

• Senior Reefer

my tank is booming with copepods. there are literally thousands on the panel of my glass. multiply that by 4 panels, multiply another approximately 3x on the liverocks and well....let's just say it's copepod heaven.

it's certainly enough to sustain this little guy in a 183 gal pod heaven. it swims in the calmer water zones in my tank and it's feeding on frozen mysis. not only that, it's extremely nice to see it picking the pods off the glass. like a vacuum cleaner.

can literally see it eating the individual pods that swarm my glass.

post-15755-042753700 1280648547_thumb.jp

• SRC Member

my tank is booming with copepods. there are literally thousands on the panel of my glass. multiply that by 4 panels, multiply another approximately 3x on the liverocks and well....let's just say it's copepod heaven.

it's certainly enough to sustain this little guy in a 183 gal pod heaven. it swims in the calmer water zones in my tank and it's feeding on frozen mysis. not only that, it's extremely nice to see it picking the pods off the glass. like a vacuum cleaner.

can literally see it eating the individual pods that swarm my glass.

how long can the copepods stay alive in the tank?

i understand have to feed it for them to multiply...

so if i constantly feed them,

can i say that there'll be constant supply of copepods for my fishes all the time?

My Decomissioned 2ft Cube: (31st March 2011)

Carpe Diem~!!!

My Current 4ft X 2ft X 2ft:

• Senior Reefer

how long can the copepods stay alive in the tank?

i understand have to feed it for them to multiply...

so if i constantly feed them,

can i say that there'll be constant supply of copepods for my fishes all the time?

yup. if you have a very matured tank with lush algae growth, you might not need to feed them but they won't grow as fast.

if you feed them, they grow very quickly.

also if you have alot of pod eaters in your tank like leopard wrasse, mandains, pipe fish, seahorse etc, the population will decrease. not all fish eat pods. one very famous and BAD example is ALL WRASSE eat pods. this is so untrue i don't even know where to begin. fairy and flasher wrasses do not hunt for pods on the rocks. they are open water planktonic feeders. so ensuring you know what fish eat wat is good and make sure you don't overcrowd the number of pod eating fish. otherwise ur pods cannot grow.

you need to strike a balance where pod population is faster than pod decimation. to achieve that, make sure you have very little fish that consume pods and this will allow time for pods to grow.

for example in my 183 gallon tank. assuming the only pod eater is my pipefish, i probably don't need to do anything forever and the pods will populate faster than that one pipefish could finish.

Fromia monilis/Fromia nodosa?

an uncommon variant to the marbled starfish. instead of the usual white and red, this guy is red and purple! how cute.

This guy is difficult.. kept twice... Will melt after some time...

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

• Senior Reefer

This guy is difficult.. kept twice... Will melt after some time...

yah. i've kept 2 fromia in the past and ended up melting after awhile.

it depends on how the fish shop acclimate the stars also.

even if you drip acclimate your starfish, but the fish shop doesn't, your starfish may end up dying anyway.

hopefully mine will survive coz i dripped it for 2.5 hours.

feeding is usually not an issue with fromias. plenty of liverock and the stars will naturally eat algae and bacterial films.

the main cause of death is usually improper handling..