Lemon's butterflyfish dominated reef

yikai

• SRC Member

Chelmon marginalis

Hey bro... Jealous!!! actually I bought a colony of xenia, but it doesn't seem well... My SPS are doing fine... Any suggestions?

1ft cube with IOS [the low tech tank]

1. JBJ C-breeze to keep temp hovering around 27-28'C

2. LED clip on - 120 bulbs

-skimmer-less-

My 3 humble equipments that keeps my tank running... [DRIED OUT]

1. The RSM itself of course 2.My NEW Deltec MCE-300 Skimmer 3. My trusty Arctica Chiller

Tank parameters:

Temperature maintained at 25.3'C to 24.7'C

No3: 10ppm(b4 the use of the deltec skimmer)

No3: 5ppm (after use of the skimmer)

Others? too lazy to measure...LOL

Camera- EOS 50D

• Senior Reefer

Hey bro... Jealous!!! actually I bought a colony of xenia, but it doesn't seem well... My SPS are doing fine... Any suggestions?

xenia is a very hit and miss coral.

sometimes they thrive sometimes they dont.

they tend to do better in gentler current.

• SRC Member

xenia is a very hit and miss coral.

sometimes they thrive sometimes they dont.

they tend to do better in gentler current.

Oh... Ok I'll move them down to a spot with gentler current...

1ft cube with IOS [the low tech tank]

1. JBJ C-breeze to keep temp hovering around 27-28'C

2. LED clip on - 120 bulbs

-skimmer-less-

My 3 humble equipments that keeps my tank running... [DRIED OUT]

1. The RSM itself of course 2.My NEW Deltec MCE-300 Skimmer 3. My trusty Arctica Chiller

Tank parameters:

Temperature maintained at 25.3'C to 24.7'C

No3: 10ppm(b4 the use of the deltec skimmer)

No3: 5ppm (after use of the skimmer)

Others? too lazy to measure...LOL

Camera- EOS 50D

• Senior Reefer

ok so i've dealt with a handful of crap since i started this tank.

diatom outbreak - fixed it

massive hair algae problem - fixed it. stop growing back!

massive bryopsis outbreak - fixed it too! stop growing back already.

now i'm dealing with dinoflagellates. hmm...topping up with DI water, doing WC, NO3, PO4 = 0. but the dino won't die off. i;ll be patient and read up and try other methods in dealing with them.

will update in a few weeks! until then, lemon has gone to war.

ok so i've dealt with a handful of crap since i started this tank.

diatom outbreak - fixed it

massive hair algae problem - fixed it. stop growing back!

massive bryopsis outbreak - fixed it too! stop growing back already.

now i'm dealing with dinoflagellates. hmm...topping up with DI water, doing WC, NO3, PO4 = 0. but the dino won't die off. i;ll be patient and read up and try other methods in dealing with them.

will update in a few weeks! until then, lemon has gone to war.

Bro,

I always refer to here as reference to dino. Hope this helps.

http://www.rimlessreef.com/1/post/2009/04/dinoflagellates-and-the-treament-of.html

Sad to hear about your problems :(

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

• Senior Reefer

Bro,

I always refer to here as reference to dino. Hope this helps.

http://www.rimlessreef.com/1/post/2009/04/dinoflagellates-and-the-treament-of.html

Sad to hear about your problems :(

no use being sad right? moreover don't feel sad for me!

i've fought through all the pests from day 1 till now!

diatoms, cyano, hair algae, bryopsis, parasitic isopods. i've got rid of all of them and now i just have dino. what's one more dragon to slay right? haha

yes thanks for the link. will try to get rid of them asap.

• SRC Member

:heh: ...there's one more nasty 'havoc' nitemare...BUBBLE ALGAE. :eyebrow:

no use being sad right? moreover don't feel sad for me!

i've fought through all the pests from day 1 till now!

diatoms, cyano, hair algae, bryopsis, parasitic isopods. i've got rid of all of them and now i just have dino. what's one more dragon to slay right? haha

yes thanks for the link. will try to get rid of them asap.

• SRC Supporter

venustus is not difficult to feed.

ok it's difficult, but can be done. and i've seen so many feeding venustus before. the problem is they still die even after feeding. most of the time is collection problems.

Got one similar size venustus as you from Irwanna to try out that day , still hiding in the rocks most of the time. Hopefully it will respond to feeding soon.

• Senior Reefer

Got one similar size venustus as you from Irwanna to try out that day , still hiding in the rocks most of the time. Hopefully it will respond to feeding soon.

yours was bigger. i unpacked the shipment and saw. came 3.

but still a good size to try.

• Senior Reefer

update on my dinoflagellate/cyano problem.

dosed bacteria and ran PO4 even though the NO3 and PO4 read 0.

after 1 day, 50% of the sandbed is white now. the dino and cyano are peeling off!

just came home today at 7 and saw it. so happy. hope it continues like this.

• Senior Reefer

a small group of bartlett anthias.

all 5 are females. i've never seen bartletts with such striking purple and yellow colouration. moreover, the distinct separation of colours is so unique and bartletts do not typically show this kind of colouration. this prompted me to get them. i'm not an anthias person. even with 60 flavoguttatus anthias at iwarna staring at me, i just don't feel the urge to buy.

did not get any males. i prefer the females :) too bad one will start morphing soon.

moreover the easiness of feeding for bartlett anthias just astounds me. i kept them at the shop for 2 days with no feeding. and today after bringing home, they ate pellets instantly.

bartletts are well known for their hardiness and often begin feeding even while still in the shipping bag. only put off for most reefers is their price, which compared to most other pseudanthias sp, is quite high.

post-15755-012547800 1283607394_thumb.jp

post-15755-022258600 1283607399_thumb.jp

• Senior Reefer

Cirrhilabrus rhomboidalis.

I've watched rhomboid wrasses come and go for the past 2 years. but never have i seen one so big before. so active even in the shipping bag and began feeding immediately after introduction.

rhomboids typically display the "sian sian" behaviour. i.e, lying in the bag, lack of swimming, days to acclimate. this batch was not the case.

this one came with a broken tail. nevermind. such minor imperfections should not impact decision making when buying a fish, unless the damage is severe, in the case of fin rot or infection. the tail is recovering and the fish is currently undergoing praziquantel treatment via feedings. a must for any deep water fairy wrasse keepers. if not, chances of survival may drop to as low as 30%, or lower!

heard too many stories of fairy wrasses dying for no reason, or from internal parasites. experienced many cases for myself too.

pardon the blue and grainy photos. tank still clearing up from cloudiness after accidently over-dosing bacteria ._.

post-15755-091699600 1283607713_thumb.jp

post-15755-021483400 1283607723_thumb.jp

post-15755-068036100 1283607766_thumb.jp

post-15755-062865700 1283607771_thumb.jp

a small group of bartlett anthias.

all 5 are females. i've never seen bartletts with such striking purple and yellow colouration. moreover, the distinct separation of colours is so unique and bartletts do not typically show this kind of colouration. this prompted me to get them. i'm not an anthias person. even with 60 flavoguttatus anthias at iwarna staring at me, i just don't feel the urge to buy.

did not get any males. i prefer the females :) too bad one will start morphing soon.

moreover the easiness of feeding for bartlett anthias just astounds me. i kept them at the shop for 2 days with no feeding. and today after bringing home, they ate pellets instantly.

bartletts are well known for their hardiness and often begin feeding even while still in the shipping bag. only put off for most reefers is their price, which compared to most other pseudanthias sp, is quite high.

My bartletts ate imediately after being released into tank. They are so easy.

Anyway pls remove the sea urchin. Why do u need an urchin in your tank. Remove all potential harms to your fishes! Don't lose your precious fishes to this kind of nonsense thing.

• Senior Reefer

My bartletts ate imediately after being released into tank. They are so easy.

Anyway pls remove the sea urchin. Why do u need an urchin in your tank. Remove all potential harms to your fishes! Don't lose your precious fishes to this kind of nonsense thing.

yah lah!

stupid leh! 1 of the 2 very healthy flames which have been with me for quite awhile now, feeding and everything. just suddenly found lying listlessly breathing hard underneath the urchin. my only guess will be it accidently poked it while swimming and then got poisoned and was then dying..

i've removed the urchin and put in the sump. i got it to clean up my hair algae last time but don't need it now.

flame die nvm. these are philippine flames and are so rare!

yah lah!

stupid leh! 1 of the 2 very healthy flames which have been with me for quite awhile now, feeding and everything. just suddenly found lying listlessly breathing hard underneath the urchin. my only guess will be it accidently poked it while swimming and then got poisoned and was then dying..

i've removed the urchin and put in the sump. i got it to clean up my hair algae last time but don't need it now.

flame die nvm. these are philippine flames and are so rare!

Paisei.. Never reply your sms.. Fell asleep.. LOL... Any i dun think urchin will poke fishes?? unless is by accident lor.. because they dun hunt fishes to eat bah..

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

• Senior Reefer

Paisei.. Never reply your sms.. Fell asleep.. LOL... Any i dun think urchin will poke fishes?? unless is by accident lor.. because they dun hunt fishes to eat bah..

yeah i mean, by accident.

maybe the flame swam too fast and jerk or something then accidently poke it.