I hav a 6'x2'x2.5' FOWLR tank

i need to know that can i dose vodka ?

how good is it if i dosing vodka?

what brand of vodka i hav to buy?

How to dose?

Hope tank some expert can teach me..

thk alot

Hi Bro,

Most marine tank set-up with have aerobic bacteria that will convert ammonia to nitrite and then from nitrite to nitrate.

For set-ups that includes invertebrates which are sensitive to nitrate, reefers will need some ways to convert Nitrate to Nitrogen.

One of the way is to add vodka a carbon (food) source for certain strains of bacteria that will transform Nitrate to Nitrogen.

If your tank is FOWLR, technically you need not dose vodka. However, some FOWLR owners still dose vodka to reduce alga growth as nitrate is food source for algae as well.

But do note that vodka dosing need precision and overdose will cause more problems even to the extend of crashing your tank and killing all livestocks.

HTH ;)

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

Hi Bro,

Most marine tank set-up with have aerobic bacteria that will convert ammonia to nitrite and then from nitrite to nitrate.

For set-ups that includes invertebrates which are sensitive to nitrate, reefers will need some ways to convert Nitrate to Nitrogen.

One of the way is to add vodka a carbon (food) source for certain strains of bacteria that will transform Nitrate to Nitrogen.

If your tank is FOWLR, technically you need not dose vodka. However, some FOWLR owners still dose vodka to reduce alga growth as nitrate is food source for algae as well.

But do note that vodka dosing need precision and overdose will cause more problems even to the extend of crashing your tank and killing all livestocks.

HTH ;)

thk alot

so better dont dose if FOWLR

M I RITE???

thk alot

so better dont dose if FOWLR

M I RITE???

Yup, I don't dose for my current FOWLR. If I see algae growing in my FOWLR, I just off all lights for the next couple of weeks and my tank will look good as new and still save money of electricity. ;)

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron

Member of:

Yup, I don't dose for my current FOWLR. If I see algae growing in my FOWLR, I just off all lights for the next couple of weeks and my tank will look good as new and still save money of electricity. wink.gif

Wow.. that is a good way of saving electricity bill..Hee

Yup, I don't dose for my current FOWLR. If I see algae growing in my FOWLR, I just off all lights for the next couple of weeks and my tank will look good as new and still save money of electricity. ;)

I think you should change your fish to those that live in caves where it is dark and the fish are almost blind. Then no need any light at all :lol::lol:

Member of :

MASS in Facebook

Reefing in LED

Won't your fishes look pale after not having lights in your tank for a few weeks?

Won't your fishes look pale after not having lights in your tank for a few weeks?

Hi bro,

My yellow tang still as yellow, peppermint hog retains its reds which in most well lighted systems may change to maroon.

But I must say, it is not total darkness since we still on the room lights. Total darkness will not be advisable as wrasses will remain in the sandbed and starve.

Slcw, Malaysian reefer who won Ultimate Reef tank of the month also reported no significant effects of the fishes.

Dr. J.E.N. Veron

Member of:

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...