MH lide

• SRC Member

First of all, what's "lide"?

Next, it depends on how much water there is, surface area exposed to air, wattage of lamp, distance of lamp from water, ventilation, ambient temperature, humidity and many other factors.

Don't expect fans to cool the water down to 26­°C with MH on at Singapore room temperature.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

What's wrong with the pH?

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

I hate to say this, but it is obvious to all that you are kinda clueless to this whole hobby. You've gotten quite far with MH and fans but you aren't sure what exactly and why you are doing certain things. I really do hope that you can do some reading and understanding of reefing. It will save you a lot of money and trouble in time to come.

Maybe you could join us for some gethering or outing. I'm sure the senior reefers there will be more than glad to instruct you and answer questions on the finer points of the hobby, also it's a lot easier than reading on your own.

This is said with the best of intentions because I know you are still young and eager to learn.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member

I had been into marine for around 4 months plus abit lioa... now i am jsut worry about my 6mm tank might crack anitime... thus i am going for a thicker 3 feet tank with internal filter.... as i am having this wonderful tank soon... i am thinking might as well for for a MH but dun think can afford chiller... and wonder if fan could save that bit of money...... in this way i will be able to have clams and other nice corals grown healthly...

MH lights doesn't necessarily mean you will have nicely growing corals and clams. the most expensive MH lights you can get, but if your water parameters are like shit....well....than its a total waste of money and investment into the expensive lights.

people have kept corals and such with normal T5s. read around and you'll find out who.

at the end of the day. always remember that lights, though important, isn't the main solution to having healthy corals.

• SRC Member

Berrykin,

They are right. Leave the Mh thingy aside for a while and find out more about sg, ph, kh, ca, Nh4, NO3, NO2 before you start your tank. These parameters are more critical than mh issue.

I think (marine) therefore I am

well changing water regularly doesn't mean the tank is okay! your tank may be lacking in something that may not be replaced fast enough.

say you're lacking 70% calcium and you're losing it at a rate of 20% every week. do you think a 10% water change will replace the 70% loss? or even cover up with the 20%? I guess not. *I don't know if you can get Ca through tap water. but just trying to show you how doing water changes doesn't mean your tank is okay*

the only thing your tank will be okay from from regular water changes is probably NO3. maybe something else, I don't know.

• SRC Member

Come on ppls..

he is new here.. dont keep on commenting and commenting...

well you already know he dont have enough budget..

so let it go..

come together and think of a solution for him rather then commenting... this is not the way to solve problem.

beside you guy can just point out to him what type of water condition he shuold look out for... what vol of cal, ph, kh, iron etcs in the water is required...

as for the MH, well fan will not totally help.. reduce much.. hmm even you use a gd and well design fan u r able to cool the temp around 1-2 degree.. depend on how high you place your MH and your room envirnoment..

then again great water will be loss using fan. If you have a sump and got a big enough top up tank (which in the thread someone mention be4 using float and this) and the top up water is 24 to 48 hrs aged be4 it go into the tank..

I dont think you will face much of the salnity problem as it auto top up whenever water lost.

Put do take note of how you face your fan.. cause if you have it blowning out of tank.. then be prepare to have some salt covering our house...

once your water condition stable down.. like my which is going 3 yrs.. and you know how to tell if your water condition is gd or not.. then dont need to do water change so often.. as I did read in a web be4 where there r ppls who never even do water change for a yr or more...

• SRC Member

hello guys everyone are here to learnt

even those oldbirds who keep corals for years when you are new i dun think you have one day success in keeping corals

without going throught trials, for sure there were some corals gone to the rubbish chute

we should help the new ones but not in such a manner to put them down...unless the so call very good oldbird can take away all your equip in your tank...your coral still survive

then i will said you are damm super good....

So learnt to be humble to teach and not to put down the newbie one, if not dun teach better

• SRC Member

i Am aLSo not QUite Sure I am a NEW or OLD biRD.. IT iS jUSt thEre I JUst Start A mARiNE tanK With A LOW buDGeT onLy... U See.. I onlY Use a SIMPle SKiMMer... CaniSter AnD FaN.... I cuN affORD tHOSe suMP... Etc.... buT now I plaNNIng FOr A 3 FOOtER INTernAl OVerFLOw TAnK.....i SEE suMWHere QUite REasoNAblE the PRiCe..

As For thE WatER ISsUE....u GuYS can coMMENts... I WUN MInd ONE seriOUslY...cOS WAter ParaTER thERE is TOo Much ELemenTs to REm...sINCE NOW therE hAd beeN nO DeATH in MY TanK and ANemoNE is GROwING weLL toO....it iS Just thAt mY SHriMp goNE slowLY.. NOW left ONE fiRE SHrIMp oNly.. Sad SAd . oh Yah and ONE bOXer SHriMp...

Yah Lor.. THe Fan DAMe iRRItated.. KEep blOWIng anD My WAter ONE day Will Be LEssER.. then NEED to TOp Up....

• SRC Member
"Come on ppls..

he is new here.. dont keep on commenting and commenting...

well you already know he dont have enough budget..

so let it go..

come together and think of a solution for him rather then commenting... this is not the way to solve problem."

"hello guys everyone are here to learnt

even those oldbirds who keep corals for years when you are new i dun think you have one day success in keeping corals

without going throught trials, for sure there were some corals gone to the rubbish chute"

Totally agreed!!!

A question is never stupid...and ignorance is never wrong... ;)

• SRC Member
i Am aLSo not QUite Sure I am a NEW or OLD biRD.. IT iS jUSt thEre I JUst Start A mARiNE tanK With A LOW buDGeT onLy... U See.. I onlY Use a SIMPle SKiMMer... CaniSter AnD FaN.... I cuN affORD tHOSe suMP... Etc.... buT now I plaNNIng FOr A 3 FOOtER INTernAl OVerFLOw TAnK.....i SEE suMWHere QUite REasoNAblE the PRiCe..

As For thE WatER ISsUE....u GuYS can coMMENts... I WUN MInd ONE seriOUslY...cOS WAter ParaTER thERE is TOo Much ELemenTs to REm...sINCE NOW therE hAd beeN nO DeATH in MY TanK and ANemoNE is GROwING weLL toO....it iS Just thAt mY SHriMp goNE slowLY.. NOW left ONE fiRE SHrIMp oNly.. Sad SAd . oh Yah and ONE bOXer SHriMp...

Yah Lor.. THe Fan DAMe iRRItated.. KEep blOWIng anD My WAter ONE day Will Be LEssER.. then NEED to TOp Up....

hmm u r looking for internal overflow tank..

i got a 4 feet that is design for internal overflow tank....

think your shrimp r missing case of the boxer eatting them