maxspect or ecolamp

77tj

dear all,

currently using de-lighting T5 6*24w, wish to change to LED lightset.

Cant decide which one to buy.

Can someone tell me wat the different between this two set.

Thanks alot in advance. :thanks:

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Come on guys..... awaiting for yr feedback and share share experience.... Aquarama coming... need to decide liao... :P

Main Tank: 4x2x2 with 5 FT Piano Finishing Cabinet

Sump Tank: 32" by 18" by 16"

Arctica Chiller 1/4 HP DBE 200

Vortech MP40wES Wavemaker

Skimz 201 Skimmer

DE Lighting Retro Fit 6x54W T5 tubes

Eheim 1264 Chiller and Return Pump

American Pinpoint PH and Temperature Monitor

KDK 15WUD Chiller Compartment Fan

Tunze Osmolator ATO

Come on guys..... awaiting for yr feedback and share share experience.... Aquarama coming... need to decide liao... :P

I think not many have both maxspect and ecolamp. To give u a good comparison they would need to have both.

I know ketchup and desi have the ecolamp though. :)

I think not many have both maxspect and ecolamp. To give u a good comparison they would need to have both.

I know ketchup and desi have the ecolamp though. :)

Thanks bro.... I guess feedback on each individual LED would be good enough..... if got user had use both and give feedback would be a bonus.....

Skimz 201 Skimmer

Tunze Osmolator ATO

• SRC Member

To me... (I was a maxspect user)

advantages of Maxspect: Excellent after sales support, Cost effective

advantage of Ecolamp: Dimmable

The rest of the advantages don't really stand out to me. I made my decision based on the selling points of these advantages.

For me (maxspect user)

The set had not giving me any problem for the near 10 months.

The lighting can also support sps

Last of all u can buy the extra leds,len kit.....from de-lighting. :thumbsup:

Thanks Guys... come on... keep the ball rolling... more feedback are welcome.... :)

Any other LED users also can give feedback......

Skimz 201 Skimmer

Tunze Osmolator ATO

• SRC Member

current maxspect user. was using 6 x 24w T5.

IMHO, i would stick back to 6 x T5s. Reason being that i am given more control on the type of lighting i want adn to suit my needs. I am free to change combo of the tubes as and when i feel the need for it.

For maxspect, i feel that the white leds are too white. i am supplementing it with ATI blueplus and actinic to give the tank a more bluish feel.

at the end of the day, the changes i felt on my leds was that the temp was considerably lower compared to T5.chiller kick in less frequent.

also consider the fact that T5HO needs to be changed every 9 mths, for leds, lifespan of 5 years before you see a 30% decrease in power! imagine only 30% in 5 years!!

oh btw, if u are loking at LEDs, you might wanna forget maxspect or ecolamp. take a look at AI(aqua illumination)www.aquaillumination.com. to me, THIS IS THE FUTURE. not very cheap though...i would get if my MBS stint yields me enough tonight....hahahhaa

I believe there is something out there watching us. Unfortunately, it's the government. - Woody Allen

To me... (I was a maxspect user)

advantages of Maxspect: Excellent after sales support, Cost effective

advantage of Ecolamp: Dimmable

The rest of the advantages don't really stand out to me. I made my decision based on the selling points of these advantages.

G3 is also dimmable if I'm wrong.

post-1182-049500100201281969137_thumb.gi

Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do. - Goethe

• SRC Member
  • SRC Member

I got ecolamp and after the initial botch up of the timer which caused the whole light system to spoil ( within 1-2 months of having it.... then it got replaced)... so far so good.. I have nothing to complain about it right now. The new timer works so far.. fingers crossed.

And yes.. the only good thing about ecolamp is that it's an auto dimmable function ( can't turn that off) which means it will gradually turn on and takes about 20 mins to be full on blue and full on daylight, and takes 20 mins to dim back down to blue or down from blue to moonlight...

Other than the auto dimmable function, there really is nothing fantastic.

So far, my LPS is fine, and the SPS only survives and grows if I put it directly under the LED... if I place it too far ( angle) away , the SPS will either die or will simply not grow.... so all my SPS now is directly below the "spot" light effect of my LED.

The following complaint I have to me is bad misrepresentation from Ecolamp : The length of the LED strips vs the length of the light set. When I got mine, the last 2-3 inches from either side of the lightset had zero LED strips so since I got a KR92-40( KR92 being the model and 40 being the 40 inch length of the lightset ) I only had about 34-36 inches worth of LED. This was main thing which I felt very cheated on as the broschure showed the LED strips all the way to the end and the distributor didn't enlighten me on this. And please note for every 2 inches increase in length, there is a price jump....

Currently Eco lamp has come up with newer models ( got mine last yr May/June?) so maybe they have changed but I would advise you to confirm.. DOUBLE CONFIRM and chop... :P how much LED you're gonna get if you get the lightset.

good luck in your choice.. go take a look at both and see what fits your preference.

Cheers, ;)

Desi

Sheldon (TBBT): A little misunderstanding? Galileo and the Pope had a little misunderstanding...

Hi sis,

I do not think the lost of LED near the edge of your light set is any problem .

In fact for light design the first led is usually 2 to 4 inch from the light case edge.

I think it is more on the rating of LED and the spacing between LED and what lens is use to

force the LED light down to your tank base.

Hope this will help in your understanding of how LED work

Cheers

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

sales@orphek.sg

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

• SRC Member

hey sherman, thanks..

however I still feel it was a misrep as when it was first being marketed, all we had was the broschure and the broschure shows LED strips ALL the way to the end and there was nothing to indicate to me that I would not get 40 inches of LED rather than 34-35 inches worth instead. :P

I take it as a lesson learnt, buyer beware scenario.

thanks again. :)

Cheers, ;)

Desi

Sheldon (TBBT): A little misunderstanding? Galileo and the Pope had a little misunderstanding...

Its true. Sometime better to clarify before your purchase.

Best is seen the item before you invest

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

• SRC Member

there r many LEDs coming up or out in the mkt....

i was a maxspect user before...casing feels fragile...advantage is less heat and u dun have to worry if yr chiller breaks down and yr livestocks gets cook by MH or T5.

There's a shop in balestier called Nature Aquarium that sells a variety of LEDs from china...much cheaper than maxspect or ecolamp....likewise Clementi blk 328, has a variety of LEDs u can check out.

Given a choice, i will stick with LED...gives u better peace of mind when u r not at home...MH is powerful, but the heat and electricity consumption is too high...T5 is ok, but if u have 6-8 tubes running, the heat and electricity consumption are just as bad.

end of the day, watever brands of LEDs, they r made in china...

l7304smr.jpg

there r many LEDs coming up or out in the mkt....

i was a maxspect user before...casing feels fragile...advantage is less heat and u dun have to worry if yr chiller breaks down and yr livestocks gets cook by MH or T5.

There's a shop in balestier called Nature Aquarium that sells a variety of LEDs from china...much cheaper than maxspect or ecolamp....likewise Clementi blk 328, has a variety of LEDs u can check out.

Given a choice, i will stick with LED...gives u better peace of mind when u r not at home...MH is powerful, but the heat and electricity consumption is too high...T5 is ok, but if u have 6-8 tubes running, the heat and electricity consumption are just as bad.

end of the day, watever brands of LEDs, they r made in china...

LOL...$$$ matters :lol: !.

post-1182-049500100201281969137_thumb.gi

Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do. - Goethe

• SRC Member

Care to elaborate abit more?

thanks

well.. probably i got it 2nd hand.. but it gives out alot of stray currents which is suppose to be normal from other maxspect users.. but for almost 1k+ lights i think the stray current is a bit to hard to bite... every now and then i would get a current shock... 2nd was the light control by the driver... although exchange for a new set... the blue just dont turn on.. and i need to drive it down to the supplier to get it fixed which till to date.. i still dont have the time.. did ask the supplier to dropby to help me to solve the problem and also did suggest to pay for the transportation fees but to date.. supplier still not free... talking about it.. it has been over a couple of months... (overall not a very happy owner of maxspect)

for the lights source I think this area is quite satisfactory (good for LPS but SPS wise not really) .. heat is not an issue other then that nothing much to comment ;)

well.. probably i got it 2nd hand.. but it gives out alot of stray currents which is suppose to be normal from other maxspect users.. but for almost 1k+ lights i think the stray current is a bit to hard to bite... every now and then i would get a current shock... 2nd was the light control by the driver... although exchange for a new set... the blue just dont turn on.. and i need to drive it down to the supplier to get it fixed which till to date.. i still dont have the time.. did ask the supplier to dropby to help me to solve the problem and also did suggest to pay for the transportation fees but to date.. supplier still not free... talking about it.. it has been over a couple of months... (overall not a very happy owner of maxspect)

for the lights source I think this area is quite satisfactory (good for LPS but SPS wise not really) .. heat is not an issue other then that nothing much to comment ;)

Thanks for sharing bro..... a very good testimony from you.... hope you get your problem fix soon....

Skimz 201 Skimmer

Tunze Osmolator ATO