What is the white dot on the wall of my tank???

• Senior Reefer

lol are trying to be funny again? with your horribly poor description and make all of us guess like we very free? you want help, provide better information. i don't know what is your "white dot" i can only assume it's pods

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=87702&st=0&p=898155&fromsearch=1&#entry898155

Yes it is algae, its a really rare species of algae one in a million chance to have hitch hiked into your tank, its called spermicolocius handjobdictosphaeria algae.

If i were you i would just leave it there. :unsure:

Recently i realised that there is some white dot on the wall of my tank. May i know whether is it algae? Please advise. Thanks.

Could be another type of Coraline algae (bleached)...

30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif
BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

• SRC Member

Bro, it would help if you are a bit more descriptive or at least show clear pics of your problem.

"White dots" on the tank wall is probably pods (look like tiny insects and move around), if it is hard and spiral it could be baby tube worm or some kind of shell belonging to micro organisms. White dots could be a million and one things, but I think it is safe to say it should be safe and nothing to worry about. They won't eat you :P

• Like 1

My 1.5ft nano cube

My 24G nano tank (Decommed)

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.

And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

-- Jack Handey

hi roger,

welcome back. hope Qiang's tank is doing well in your hands.

Do update us or start a tank thread so we can follow your progress and assist you if needed.

like all the bros mentioned, we are more than ready to chip in our thoughts but a picture would help sometimes.

If a pic is not possible due to whatever reasons, then more description on the white spot can help.

See if you can answer on the following questions for us to deduce what it may be.

Is the white spot on the tank wall randomly or is it at the surface of the water?

Was it purplish before it turned white?

texture: is it powdery or does it need to be scrapped off?

shape: is it circular and flat or is it like a tube?

Is it like dust that can be simply wiped off?

Does it cover a spot only or spread over a larger area?

Don't feel shy posting questions, especially when you need help. Keep those coming.

We are all here to help and will do so when we can.

** someone drop a -1 rep to a beginner for asking a hobby related question ??? shake head......

• Like 1

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

If the white dots move around, most likely pods...if they dun move around...they r algae..

i have attached a sample for everyone's reference...i believe he is referring to this

luckily you did not post a pic of Eniram's "spermicolocius handjobdictosphaeria"

lol ....

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

• SRC Member

lol are trying to be funny again? with your horribly poor description and make all of us guess like we very free? you want help, provide better information. i don't know what is your "white dot" i can only assume it's pods

http://www.sgreefclu...=1&#entry898155

This "fish" was never identified. Although there were loads of intelligent guesses.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

This "fish" was never identified. Although there were loads of intelligent guesses.

bro iskay, that thread is history liao lah, lets not harp over it and bring the topic over this new thread.

I think Roger is seriously asking about the white dots.

• SRC Supporter

LOL... Why all like eat gun powder today.. Haha...

Bro, i think situation will bcome worse during the WC 2010 period... cos not enuf ZZZ... may bcome canon then. LOL.... think i must BO Liang Teh for everyone liao.

Anyway, lets wait for more information from Roger b4 we conclude anything... :) PEACE ya. :thumbsup:

Bro, i think situation will bcome worse during the WC 2010 period... cos not enuf ZZZ... may bcome canon then. LOL.... think i must BO Liang Teh for everyone liao.

Anyway, lets wait for more information from Roger b4 we conclude anything... :) PEACE ya. :thumbsup:

Onzz Jim.

Liang Teh on you!

• SRC Member

bro iskay, that thread is history liao lah, lets not harp over it and bring the topic over this new thread.

I think Roger is seriously asking about the white dots.

Hi Jacky and to all reefers whom might have misconstrued my post - I'm not 'harping' and I don't mean to demean anyone. I'm just genuinely curious as to what is the conclusive identification. flowers.gif

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

it is dead coraline bro.

turned from purple to white.

check and maintain Mg, calcium and KH level.

it is dead coraline bro.

turned from purple to white.

check and maintain Mg, calcium and KH level.

Haha.. agree..

as predicted.. it is Coraline algae (bleached)...

Cheers and Happy Reefing...

30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif
BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

roger,

I think actually a lot of people are very happy to see your tank. welldone.gif

from the day you started enquiring about reefing till today when we see your FTS, all the efforts made by you and everyone else really has paid off.

bowdown.gif kudos to ALL the bros and sis who has been giving tips, taking time and effort to answer your queries and share their experience. This is the community bond that we should all be building towards and who knows, in a few years time, you will be guilding other newbies :)

Your tank looks good and very pleasing to the eye... corals are healthy. Scaping is score.gif !!! A good start and along the way if you have any further queries, just remember you to post them here or better still, start a tank thread :)

Likewise for kksg2000 , lck425,

Keep all those questions coming, do some reading up on your own, we will definitely help whenever, however we can :)

Reefing is a life long learning process !

Happy Reefing Guys!

Just a grouchy grumpy old man gripe.

How to maintain on the magnesium, calcium and hardness level?

Of cos i would faster do a WC but other than that, what other thing i need to do? Please advise. Thanks.

guess you are proceeding to phase 2 of reefkeeping liao :)

If I recall correctly, for reefs, ideal parameters are

Mg 1350 - 1450

Calcium 400 - 450

KH 8 - 11

When you do salt water change, sometimes, the salt mix might not have sufficient calcium or other elements concentration in it.

Thats why there are calcium buffers and KH buffers to raise these concentration in your tank.

I am using the kent marine liquid calcium and Pro-dKH buffer.

they are pretty good. There are also powder form which are cheaper.

Before adding, it is always good to test your water 1st. There are ca & KH testers.

Would suggest you start with this 2 1st.

If you have tried buffing and the kh or calcium just does not go to the desired level, then it is most likely mg level is too low.

then you get the mg test and buffer. (the mg tester is quite expensive)

** some people might just throw in calcium and kh buffers without testing and that is not reccommended.

but these test kit are also used once in a while can last quite long. after some time, you will have an idea what is the range of reading your tank fluctuates between and you will know how much Ca and KH to dose periodically.

maybe you can find someone to share with or buy 2nd hand testers.

• Like 1