Nichjon's new 2' cube tank

nichjon

Just wanna share with the other reefers on my newest project for a brand new 2' cube tank. I plan to hopefully use only an algae scrubber for filtration based on what I've researched so far. I will be updating frequently with new pics and info as this project builds. Any suggestions or opinions will be greatly appreciated. Happy Reefing!

post-7143-12785728230657_thumb.jpg

post-7143-12785728302352_thumb.jpg

Custom 2ft cube tank with 10mm glass.

• 2 weeks later...

At last, finished scaping my new tank. Wanted to have a concept like a protruding outcrop of rock with a gap in the middle for fishes to hide as well as to swim around the entire rockscape. Hopefully this design and arrangement will also allow my Vortech wavemaker to produce a rotating wave and current around the entire structure, i think this design also allows for the best views from both sides of the tank as well as providing the best view from the front. Will be adding the substrate tonight, so tomorrow i will upload the pics with the sand already in.

Happy Reefing.

post-7143-049461400 1279520113_thumb.jpg

post-7143-078629200 1279520175_thumb.jpg

nice..keep up with the updates and also do list your equipment in your signature:).

one suggestion, you may want to bring your rock work to half of the height you have done. The way you scape it might restrict your choice of corals and their placement. Also, it is perhaps better to have one side 2/3 the height of the other tower so that it doe not look overly 'heavy'.

Just my thoughts cos i also like to scape rocks!.....heeeheee

cheers!

Hi skinbone, noted about the 2/3 ratio, i think you have a very good point there, i may remove 1 or 2 big pcs later and update more pics tomorrow. It's true that it looks a bit 'heavy'. Thank for your expert opinion! Thanks again.

Cheers Bro.

Just managed to alter the rockscape a little bit as reefer skinbone's recommendation which was very true when i reached home and took a good look at it. So look out for updated pics tmr morning, i hope it will look much better after this change.

Happy Reefing.

Latest pics of a slight change for my rockscape as per fellow reefer's suggestion, it certainly looks much better and less 'cluttered' also. Hope this will be a much better rockscape design.

post-7143-001660800 1279586125_thumb.jpg

post-7143-047880600 1279586133_thumb.jpg

Latest pics of a slight change for my rockscape as per fellow reefer's suggestion, it certainly looks much better and less 'cluttered' also. Hope this will be a much better rockscape design.

It certainly looks much more 'breathable now' :groupwavereversed: . :welldone: I believe you will eventually remove the top left piece though. Just my guess, It is a beautiful piece of rock, but the position is a little too high and may block off light to the bottom part. My apologies if i am overly fussy. :upsidedown: . Just that i am essentially a SPS person and thus very particular about making sure i have light reaching all my corals.

Cannot be sure now, but lets have some corals in it after water is cycled and we shall see.

This hobby is fun with all the scaping and meddling isnt it? Heehee

yup thanks bro. Ya i've thought about the lighting and as i have light coming from 4 different spots, i think only a very small part might be shadowed, moreover i plan to place corals which need more light at certain areas only. Well i guess this tank is gonna be a working progress as time goes by. Will most probably be filling the tank up for cycling this weekend once i've gotten my filtration system finalised, so I'll post more pics soon.

Thanks for your suggestions and critics.

Cheers man!

• SRC Member

Bro, I used to have a similar scape that you have right now. You can refer to the first page of my office nano 3 tank thread. IMO, I find it hard to place corals, and there were too many shadows and too little open space for fishes to swim around. Perhaps you can try to visualize your scape with corals on it? Haha... I know its kinda hard, I struggle with this myself (not very artistically inclined), but it helps to calibrate our thoughts that this is not the final outcome of the scape. ^_^

yup space was taken into consideration too, as i've left a 3-5 inch gap all around the rockscape including the back part for the fishes to swim around, plus i left a 'hole' in middle of the rockscape to allow more light to get in too. Anyway i've got 4 spotlights which are adjustable so there wont be any very 'shaded' spots on the rocks. Will be testing out my lighting today or tmr before i fill the tank, so any last minute changes are still possible.

Thanks Fellow Reefers.

• SRC Member

nice scaping.. i like the top part alot.. but i think the bottom of the scape is too steep to place any corals.. its kinda like the "void deck" theory which i told Wilson about.. you may like to relook into the bottom half scaping?

just my 2 cents worth as you will not want to rescape again when ur fishes and corals are in.. it'll be hell!!! unless you are like jackywongto.. hahhaa

A man with a reef tank is a man with an empty wallet...

no i've got 4 6W LED spotlights so i think it's pretty bright enough. I won't be placing that much corals cos i won't want this tank to be too high maintenance, prob more bright coloured LS. Currently i only plan to solely use an Algae Scrubber which is about 12" x 30" big, so i hope this will suffice to keep things under control. I'm trying to achieve a tank with the least maintenance and care, so i hoe that my plan will work out without any major hitches.

For all fellow reefers who would like to know where i got my tank made from, it's by the very knowledgable and friendly Ms. Sim of Atlantic Glass, u can contact her at 6280-4447. Her tank prices are really very competitive and affordable after researching so many tank makers.