Swim Bladder Problem

Hey guys,

My female C.Lineatus has a swim bladder problem. She was totally fine up until 2 days ago when she started swimming funny. This is what she looks like as of yesterday :-

She's really struggling to swim right. Breathing is hard as i imagine she's quite exhausted. She's also constipated, i've just spent five minutes watching her try to push one out. Just started running Nifurpirinol (Sera Baktopur Direct) in the QT. I've read anything from feeding peas to fasting for a few days as a treatment. What do you guys think?

• Senior Reefer

nope. does not look like typical swim bladder problem. but i will not rule it out.

swim bladder problem usually stomach will bloat, and will float upwards. breathing will not be so laboured actually... although will slightly increase.

what your lineatus is experiencing is likely the "deep water wrasse syndrome"

where after a few days, they will just behave strangely and die. probably from improper handling or shipping stress, or internal problems/parasites.

rhomboids, lineatus, flame, laboutei, often suffer from this problem. rhomboids and lineatus being the most prone.

sad to say, there is no cure. your lineatus will likely die by tomorrow or the day after.

unless a miracle happen, which is not impossible. i've experienced this before on a female rhomboid...

swim bladder problems are difficult to cure. i don't know if there's any solid method for curing or not... some fishes seem to resolve it on t heir own... while others just die.

It may be swim bladder problem but is definitely not caused by decompression maladies becos fairy wrasses decompress quite well. The lineatus probably harbour internal parasites which has caused internal infections malfunctioning the swim bladder. Sad to say now even if u get medication for internal parasites it's to late le, your wrasse will die. Newly arrived fairies commonly die from internal parasites, jux get a new one next time and pray for better luck. Happened to me before for rhomboid, laboutei, lineatus etc.

• Senior Reefer

as a practice, i feed ALL new fairy wrasses, regardless of species, praziquantel soaked food. prazi will kill all internal parasites within the first few feedings.

i got this from aquafauna supplies. can PM to check availability.

the prazi i get is concentrated one, so its more effective i guess. according to him, it's safe to overdose. i soak 1 cube of mysis with 1-2 ml of prazi. sounds alot but it's ok. the more the merrier :)

it only takes a few feedings per day, a few days to cure.

my roseafascia wrasse with internal parasites is now 100% cured and very healthy. i should have used prazi for my choati leopard wrasse which was suffering from internal parasites too.

• SRC Member

my alpha male lineatus gt the same sickness.....i ended his suffering by putting it in the freezer. sorry to say at this pt of time, it quite impossible to cure it.

• SRC Member

sorry to hear that IndyM.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=83364&view=findpost&p=842260

what you mention is very similar to what I used to face.

tried different types of antibiotic and medication but still couldnt treat it. :(

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

Wow, yours was a real beauty Law. As for my female, she can't even find her way into the pipes now. She just lets the flow bring her to a corner to sleep. When she can't feed anymore, i'll put her to sleep.

• SRC Member

Wow, yours was a real beauty Law. As for my female, she can't even find her way into the pipes now. She just lets the flow bring her to a corner to sleep. When she can't feed anymore, i'll put her to sleep.

that's what happened to me on that lineatus and previous rhomboid as well. lost balance, lower part of body seem paralyzed.

its a pain to see it go, but its better to end it suffering soon. i ended their life in the freezer.

all the best.

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||