STOP IT

Shark

• SRC Member

shark maybe didnt phrase his sentence correctly and kenna bombarded. he should target his topic to those lfs and ppls who are ignorant abt keeping marine life. noticed that those lfs that are converted to marine didnt really take care of their marine live stokcs. many of them ares ill treating the fishes and corals. ignorant hobbists too, didnt do much research and jump straight into marine. end result is waste of money and destroying life. agree ? :D

I saw on asiaone.com weeks ago [too bad can't find the page again] reporting that tonnes and tonnes and tonnes and tonnes of marine creatures are being harvested from the ocean's reef . . . .

it is an incredible amount, year on year till now and the coming future

the reef will be depleted very soon :cry:

get the message ?

Shark, i believe that they are referring to the fishes has is caught indiscriminately and also fishes caught for Food. that is where 99.9% of the fishes that is caught is being used for. Food.

This harvest is from the reef and then sold to home as ornamental then eventually to the dustbin / mortuary ..

• SRC Member

With enuff knowledge of what reefers do or should do, there will not be a waste of resources since the mortality is not very high for those serious reefers who do tons of research etc etc.

I think that is what clubs like SRC main purpose is for. Education and the sharing of knowledge etc etc.

My Opinion from experience and kaponess during my LFS trips....

I have been to many farms and trips....I have the feeling that most reefers in SRC has the sense of responsibilities and willingness to do the right thing for the hobby. Many bother to find out how to improve the control of their tank condition and minimise loss of stocks.....

What I see frequently in farms are throngs of families, a lot of them without much knowledge of reef-keeping and purchase large quanity stuffs that...as you said..go to trash and bin (mortuary) after a while.... ....these are groups I normally feel most worried...I hope with more sites (like SRC or RC ard) or media coverage will help educate more people and understand the ocean life better....

In fact....it is only after I became a member of the reefclub that I know that things should be done correctly....

There will always be people involving in various kinds of hobbies....the only way to minimising the damage or loss done is to have a better understanding.

bro, no offence, everyone has their opinions ....we just have to respect that .........(just as I see your point) :peace:

• SRC Member

hey shark.. then if u dont agree with wat we are doing then wat are you doing here? dont tell me u no need to eat??? fish? meat?? if u eat meat u also killing them so canot eat.. vege?? aLso canot lor.. destroy the natural habitat... there is no way to stop i have said tat earlier.. then y not we provide a better environment for them.. from the club.. we learn alot.. we do wat we must do we learn as we go.... dont tell me fishes dont die in the wild?? predators?? they might get eaten anytime... alot reefers has already explained to you.. if you insist tat we are wrong.. then we shldnt be seeing you here..

hey shark.. then if u dont agree with wat we are doing then wat are you doing here? dont tell me u no need to eat??? fish? meat?? if u eat meat u also killing them so canot eat.. vege?? aLso canot lor.. destroy the natural habitat... there is no way to stop i have said tat earlier.. then y not we provide a better environment for them.. from the club.. we learn alot.. we do wat we must do we learn as we go.... dont tell me fishes dont die in the wild?? predators?? they might get eaten anytime... alot reefers has already explained to you.. if you insist tat we are wrong.. then we shldnt be seeing you here..

"dont tell me fishes dont die in the wild?? predators?? they might get eaten anytime... "

They die so as part of nature, trying to complete the ecological cycle dun tell me u eat your dead livestock from your tank . .. . like fried clown on sea weed rolled like a sushi

:pinch: You are right about how mankind is destroying the earth, and not just the oceans which have gotten you all worked up.

If you look at statistics, you realise quickly that the reefing hobby contributes just a very small part of how the reefs are damaged, esp with the increased awareness of better capture/harvesting methods, CITIES regulations, coral propagation and reef restoration programs in place eg. artificial reefs being created to start nurseries for juvenile fishes and corals.

In reality, a LOT more damage is a result of Man's commercial activities like land reclamation, shipping traffic & anchoring/overfishing/bad fishing practices/industrial and agricultural wastes and centuries of industrial air pollutants that is causing global warming that will eventually wipe out reefs due to rising water levels.

Also Mother Nature is also responsible for wiping out in seconds what has taken decades and centuries to grow.

As much as we are all bear some guilt, in retrospect, it's this hobby that is also responsible for bringing awareness to the wonder & fragility of the underwater world.

What we as reef hobbyists should do is to gain awareness of how to keep our marine pets as best as we can, so as to not needlessly waste lives due to ignorance or worse still, stupidity. A smart and conscientious reefer can POSITIVELY contribute to the preservation of the reefs because we will regulate collection due to falling demand if we can all maintain our home reefs well. An ignorant, lazy or miseducated reefer will keep killing livestock and buying replacements. Which category are you in? Think about it.

Personally, because of this hobby, I took up diving and can see the beauty of the seas for myself. And also see how much damage we humans are causing to the seas. I now no longer throw rubbish in the sea. I pick up plastic bags from the water if I can because it may save the live of a turtle, which may mistakenly eat it because it looks like a jellyfish. I throw back fishes that I caught if I am not going to eat them or they are undersized.

I don't know if what i say can put things into perspective, but it is not necessary for you to feel so stressed about things because if we are gonna feel angry with ourselves over how fast this planet is falling to bits, we should invite aliens to blast our planet to bits so we won't prolong the earth's suffering any longer. Mankind is like a virus, :ph34r: as Agent Smith in the Matrix has said.

It is good to have organisations to protect some ideals but for SRC, the goal is to promote conscientious reef-keeping. And IMO, it starts with EDUCATION.

PEACE! :peace:

OK OK . .

agree that "mankind" can only try though many are "man-unkind"

I'll try looking for that piece of news in asiaone.com so that more people will realise how fast the reef is disappearing :cry:

It will really make one feel :evil: believe me . .. .

Spread the word " dun buy if you cannot possibly 99.999% keep them alive "