weileong's 4ft tank

weileong

• SRC Member
zephyros,

They are not totally wrong in the way they rate their chiller. At least technically but that is rather unethical as they should have stated that the rating is cooling power and at the same time state the rating of the compressor. This will confused many buyers and all of we are lead to believe that what we get based on the rating is the true horsepower rating of the compressor.

See how the artica rates the chiller as I mentioned in an earlier post.

Compressor 1/2hp.

cooling power 1170 Watts. (abt 1.56hp)

Then this is very clear. I know I am paying the price for a chiller with 1/2hp compressor.

Didn't you read once in a while other bro saying "Make sure what you get is what you paid for", now that is what they meant :P

Weileong,

I still don't get it. If your Artica chiller is:

Compressor 1/2hp.

cooling power 1170 Watts. (abt 1.56hp)

and your Ti chiller is

Compressor 1/2hp

cooling power 1.25hp?

How come the Artica is so much more efficient than the Ti? Since both are about the same rating? Is there something we missing here other than the hp?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. This is like the engine of the car right? If you only have a 1.6L Toyota engine and fit it with a 3.0L radiator, can the car run like a 3.0L Lexus?

Another example would be a 2.0L class chasis fitted with a 1.6l engine.

Remember the hyundai sonata. Now how's the power of the car? Yes it can carry 5 person and still move. So technically speaking it is a big car :P

For more details abt the performance of the 1.25hp Titanium, you might like to refer to this review that I had done earlier this year.

However one thing to note is that the weather at that time is much cooler so the chiller run time is much shorter.

The other factor is at that time my MD55 is not put in operation and MH light is 2x250W instead of 2x250W + 1x150W.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=10820

• SRC Member

Nothing can be further than the truth. That's why this SRC is so useful.....for us to share our knowledge so prevent more people from getting con.

err..end of the day, forum works both way.....you still have to make your own judgement.......

lousy product can still be review as an excellent product...(only thing is either the reviewer is not telling the truth, or make wrong findings) :angel:

(disclaimer: Not refering to Weileong's review, his is just stating the finding, no recommendation or conclusion....search the Forum and you can see some very good promoters in the forum here!) :evil:

looks like there is a BIG SWING in support for a certain brand of chiller now... :blink:

looks like there is a BIG SWING in support for a certain brand of chiller now... :blink:

Bro,

Is there anything that I should know of this artica that I do not know now and which I am going to find out 3 months later and then scream my heart out?

If you know pls tell me else later I sure heart attack.

• SRC Member

Bro,

Is there anything that I should know of this artica that I do not know now and which I am going to find out 3 months later and then scream my heart out?

If you know pls tell me else later I sure heart attack.

no lar..I've been using my 1/3hp since Dec 03...excellent performance to me.

When I add a AC fan to cool my lights, the AC fan is even more noisy than my chiller sound.. :D

Just that previously, too many promoter for 'THAT' brand, when some are not even using it themselves. and like I said before...if you quoted previously that you want to buy a 1/3 or 1/2hp chiller for a big tank...everyone will SHOOT you down.

even brand like Teco, I dun use them, but I respect them in the market for so many many years....people just 'condemn it' when comparing to that brand.

When I post my question on what chiller to buy in Oct/Nov 03...The chiller market looks pathetic that there is ONLY ONE AND ONLY brand can buy lor. :evil:

For TECO I've to stand by my view, the TW6 I had did not managed to cool down my tank. Temp just creeps up after the main lights are turned on. But once I got my 1.25hp chiller the performance was a lot difference and my tank was cooled. You can see the reason why I thought it was good at that time.

BTW how big is your tank?

• SRC Member
1/3hp for 6ft. That is impressive and I believe it after seeing my 1/2hp in action.

How long does it need to drop 1 deg?

Would have gone with the 1/3hp one if not for the need to remote the chiller.

It just started on the 6ft for 2-3 weeks.

so far...still trying to try the efficiency and locate a good position for it. and changing my bulb.

sitting outside,

without lights, abt 35-40min to pull down 1 deg.

with 550W (2x150 and 1x250), abt 1hr 30min. (room is hot)

sitting inside the the cabinet,

without lights, abt 45min to pull down 1 deg.

with 550W (2x150 and 1x250), abt 2hr. (room is hot)

with 550W (2x150 and 1x250), with an additional AC fan, abt 1hr 40min.(room is not hot)

Now planning to install it by the window, I believe the cooling will be reduce alot.

:D

that is quite good especially when comparing to "that brand"

On my tank, there is almost no difference to the cooling time when the 650W MH are running or off.

THe difference is the time taken to raise the temp. Quite interesting :P

Here's some data from yesterday and this evening

2x36W PL running only

Time deg C

23:05 temp 27.4 compressor start

23:25 temp 26.6 compressor stop

00:28 temp: 27.4 compressor start

00:48 temp: 26.6 compressor stop

2x36W PL + 650W MH (2x250W + 1x150W)

19:30 temp 27.4 compressor start

19:55 temp 26.6 compressor stop

20:32 temp 27.4 compressor start

• SRC Member

I think in my case, the chiller is underpower to cool a 1000l tank (tank plus sump). That's why taking so long.

also, the other factor is my room is quite 'enclosed' so the air in the room is warm.

Hopefully, when I install at the window, it will take shorter time to cool down.

In your case, I'll say the chiller is more than enough for your tank, that's why whether with or without lights, it is running at the 'fastest' time already, so not much timing different in cooling down, while with the lights on, the tank water get heated up faster.

:D

look at the time it needed to cool your tank, it is still reasonable. If you say yours is under powered then what can you say for the other brand? Totally impossible to cool down eh?

Ventilation is quite important for the chiller so putting at the window will definately help to reduce the cooling time. However if got sunlight shinning on the chiller then it will reduce the efficiency.

• SRC Member
For TECO I've to stand by my view, the TW6 I had did not managed to cool down my tank. Temp just creeps up after the main lights are turned on. But once I got my 1.25hp chiller the performance was a lot difference and my tank was cooled. You can see the reason why I thought it was good at that time.

BTW how big is your tank?

??? new tw6? im pretty sure it can cool ur tank down, esp a 4 footer. is it becos it needed servicing?

actually i dun look at hp when selecting chiller. best to get the specs of cooling ability, ie what is ambient temp, what is desired temp, how much water, time to take to cool, etc. this is the real facts of the chiller! teco has a chart for theirs.

juz like the anology of the lorry and car, one got more hp but the other one moves faster. so how u know which one u want? ask for its 0-100 in secs, ask for top speed, etc. u dun ask how many cc is the engine and go buy.

u guys may be rating the sponsor chiller wrongly. when i asked for a quote, i always put the specs, ie my requirement. so up to them to propose and not ask for x hp chiller. then again, i may not be aware of other facts.

my 2 cents worth!

• SRC Member
juz like the anology of the lorry and car, one got more hp but the other one moves faster. so how u know which one u want? ask for its 0-100 in secs, ask for top speed, etc. u dun ask how many cc is the engine and go buy.

u guys may be rating the sponsor chiller wrongly. when i asked for a quote, i always put the specs, ie my requirement. so up to them to propose and not ask for x hp chiller. then again, i may not be aware of other facts.

hmmm ... agreed and disagreed ...

As a consumer, it is good to read up and understand the product that you want to purchase.

As a GOOD seller, it is his responisbility to market his

product honesty. Make known to consumer up front what he is selling.

Had you read the recent case whereby the china seller sells fake milk

power and cause the deaths of babies?? So it is the mothers fault

that they did find out the spec of the milk power before buying???

We are not talking about some products whereby from one look you

will know can tell if it is good or bad.

How many times had this forum put up answer for questions eg

1) What should I look for when buying a chiller

2) What should I look for when buying lights (MH, T5 etc) ...

Sometimes, it's just simply not possible for us to understand the

technical aspect of the product. That's why we had to base on

well-known spec, like hp for chiller, watts and kelvin for lightings etc ...

This issue had been on-going for quite sometimes and I believe

there is ample time for the sponsor to retify the issue if he believe

that he is the victim.

Cheers

zephyros

Wei Leong, there is something that puzzle me from your data (chiller on/off). Chiller brand aside, looking at your Jan/Apr data (just the 2x36W PL for your refugium and ignoring the MH light since it has been increased from 500W to 650W), i can't really understand it..

Jan 04 (ON/OFF at 26.5C/24.9C ==> 1.6C delta)

==> To heat up 1.6C, 4hr 16min

Apr 04 (ON/OFF at 27.4C/26.6C ==> 0.8C delta)

==> To heat up 0.8C, 1hr 3min which translate to ~2hr 6min for 1.6C

delta

So the diff b/w the 2 is almost >2hr? And i assume your MD55 is external and should not throw out so much heat? Your Jan 04 data also said that heating 1.6C (for 500W of MH plus 2x36W PL) took 2hr 28min? Which mean that all your extra pumps added in is giving out heat equivalent to 500W of MH? :huh:

So the diff b/w the 2 is almost >2hr? And i assume your MD55 is external and should not throw out so much heat? Your Jan 04 data also said that heating 1.6C (for 500W of MH plus 2x36W PL) took 2hr 28min? Which mean that all your extra pumps added in is giving out heat equivalent to 500W of MH? 

That is the observation and I just report what I see.

As mentioned the difference could be due to the ambient temperature.

Did you read the last part of the review in Jan?

With all pumps switched off and only 1260 running (to drive the 1.25hp Ti)

With 2x250W MH

Time taken to cool 1.8 degs = 3hrs 14min

With 2x36W PL

Time taken to raise 1.6 degs = 5hr 56min

With the 2 high powered pumps running

plus With 2x250W MH

Time taken to cool 1.6degs = 4hrs 36mins

Time taken to rise 1.6degs = 2hrs 28mins

from here you can see the two pumps actually extends the running time by a lot. The ambient at that time is so much cooler, temp around 27degs or maybe lower and that also explains the longer time to raise in temp. Don't overlook the ambient temp, it can give a big difference in cooling.

Besides this data only. Due to the increase in ambient temp the chiller was running much much longer time this month compared to Jan when the review was done. I see a whole world of difference immediately when I switch over to the new chiller. Before that the 1.25hp Ti was running the whole day non-stop when the MH lights are running. After the MH are off it will still run an additional of 1-2 hrs.

Errmmm... you really need to use my older chiller and you'll know :P

ah..... quick 1.25hp Ti users pls fall-in :upsidedown:

no need to thank me, it was pretty obvious which one is the nicest there..hehe

but u gotta thank me for stopping at the junction where u went straight..till u look at your rear view mirror and realised that i angled myself at the junction and stopped to let you know the way...hehe..

if not u go straight i also dunno end up where :P

lol...... you know when I went back from CF, I also lost my way. Drove till LCK lane 9.

Really pengz.... keep losting my way today.

Normally I visit CF first then go to LCK110 so not very familiar with the reverse direction, 5 right turns to CF lol.

Bo piang hor pple's new car run so fast, hard to catch :blink:

i tot u know the way, so when left lck, let u lead the way..hehe..

never mind lah...at least u also keep me in rear view when u lead, but when i took over , i always make sure you appear in my rear view mirrow...dun worry, wun leave u there alone...

last time i also get lost, just like you. nothing to be paiseh..hehe

in fact only after following morgan one trip, then i know the right-turns rule and left-turns rule..hehe

eh..dun play play...your one is power also leh.... ;)

Added to the tank after 2 hrs slow drip.

Regain it's color immediately after introduction.

Once added, all the 3 tang went to take a close look at this fella.

Not interesting for them so all swim away. Once a while the Salifin and yellow tang will be back to take another close look then swim away.

post-34-1082718984.jpg