Question on Rics splitting

law1210

Hi there, I have a Rics that is in the process of splitting. So I'm curious to know generally how long they take to complete the process. Mine seems to be splitting for weeks. Only past two weeks I saw an acceleration in the speed for the two mouths to move apart. But never split into two yet. Is it because I gave it too little rock space?

post-14837-087901100 1283414491_thumb.jp

My 1.5ft Nano tank

Equipment: Sump with chaeto, hydor nano wavemakers, Maxspect 60W LED, return pump Rio 12HF

Livestock: 2xMaroon Clown, Yellow Watchman Goby, Algae Blenny, six-line wrasse, Fire & Skunk Shrimp, turbo snails, hermit crabs.

Corals: Zoas, Rics, Hammer, Blue & Green Starpolyps.

Sorry, one more question. I had this yuma rock last yr. When first got it, it looked like this:

post-14837-082103000 1283480714_thumb.jp

Then last Feb, it still looked not too bad...(rics still one piece)

post-14837-082628600 1283480921_thumb.jp

But now it look like this...look bleached and so much smaller..

post-14837-014355000 1283481305_thumb.jp

I suspect might be due to me changing the light last month to a Maxspect 60W (from T5 32W). Do you think it's the cause too? Or there could be other reason?

My 1.5ft Nano tank

Equipment: Sump with chaeto, hydor nano wavemakers, Maxspect 60W LED, return pump Rio 12HF

Livestock: 2xMaroon Clown, Yellow Watchman Goby, Algae Blenny, six-line wrasse, Fire & Skunk Shrimp, turbo snails, hermit crabs.

• SRC Member

Sorry, one more question. I had this yuma rock last yr. When first got it, it looked like this:

post-14837-082103000 1283480714_thumb.jp

Then last Feb, it still looked not too bad...(rics still one piece)

post-14837-082628600 1283480921_thumb.jp

But now it look like this...look bleached and so much smaller..

post-14837-014355000 1283481305_thumb.jp

I suspect might be due to me changing the light last month to a Maxspect 60W (from T5 32W). Do you think it's the cause too? Or there could be other reason?

Most prop it's due to the sudden change of light intensity. Try to put it at a point where the light intensity is lesser. Give it some time to recover but it'll take awhile. I've got some yumas like this and managed to get some to recover but some can't.

• SRC Member

Hi there, I have a Rics that is in the process of splitting. So I'm curious to know generally how long they take to complete the process. Mine seems to be splitting for weeks. Only past two weeks I saw an acceleration in the speed for the two mouths to move apart. But never split into two yet. Is it because I gave it too little rock space?

post-14837-087901100 1283414491_thumb.jp

I've got some rics with 2-3 mouth and had not split into 2 separate pcs, instead they're juz growing bigger and changing in colours. I feel tt as long as they're growing well, whether they split anot, doesn't matters.

I've got some rics with 2-3 mouth and had not split into 2 separate pcs, instead they're juz growing bigger and changing in colours. I feel tt as long as they're growing well, whether they split anot, doesn't matters.

Rics with 2-3 mouths o? haha...greedy fellow. Okie, so long as it is normal, then it is fine wif me. At first scared it wanna split but cannot succeed and goes into 'labour difficulty' and die.

Thanks for all the advice. I've moved the yumas further away from light and monitor from there. The pale luminous color looks quite nice actually. I'm just concerned with the shrink in size.

My 1.5ft Nano tank

1 got a ric with 2 mouth, size app 3 x 50 cents coin

months already also havent split

whereas another 1 with 3, size only 3 x 10 cents coin

takes weeks to split into 2 and 1 mouth

i think no hard and fast rule on their splitting behavior

1 got a ric with 2 mouth, size app 3 x 50 cents coin

months already also havent split

whereas another 1 with 3, size only 3 x 10 cents coin

takes weeks to split into 2 and 1 mouth

i think no hard and fast rule on their splitting behavior

The animal world is so interesting. Cool bro, I'll just let it be then. :)

My 1.5ft Nano tank

• 4 months later...

For the benefit of bros who advised me previously, here's an update on my yumas and rics. Yumas are now back to the color n size I had previously (I still like luminous color though :)).

Yuma_13Jan11.jpg

My 1.5ft Nano tank

And the ric has completed its split into two. Currently, I see one of them already have 3 mouths and seems to be splitting (edge of coral closing into the middle). Heehee...one into two, two into four...sounds like Taiji logic.

Ric_13Jan11.jpg

My 1.5ft Nano tank

• 7 months later...

Another 7 months have passed and it seems that once they started their split, it's going to continue on and on. Now I also don't know how many pieces of this Rics are there. :)

post-14837-0-46873700-1314085809_thumb.j

My 1.5ft Nano tank

• 1 month later...

Here's an update. The rics have won the battle against blue polyps and conquered the small rock that they are on. So I've stick them onto another bigger rock. Hope it'll continue to thrive and spread. Time to seek out interested bro/sis here to do Rics trading. :)

post-14837-0-12457400-1318310726_thumb.j

My 1.5ft Nano tank