Nuking Aiptasia

• SRC Member

I use Seachem, but only because I have a lot that I can't finish using. Will switch to cheaper BP grade calcium hydroxide when I'm done with them.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

Morgan... you don't have to inject them.

You just release kalk paste over their mouths. When they shrink from the shock, they close up their stingers and will 'choke' on the kalk paste.

Aiptasia is just basically a mouth with stingers and it goes straight into their bodies and they die very quickly.

They shrink into tiny balls and then roll off the rock.

• SRC Member

What grade? You mean how pure? I don't know, I'll have to look up the BP monograph.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member
Morgan... you don't have to inject them.

You just release kalk paste over their mouths. When they shrink from the shock, they close up their stingers and will 'choke' on the kalk paste.

Aiptasia is just basically a mouth with stingers and it goes straight into their bodies and they die very quickly.

They shrink into tiny balls and then roll off the rock.

I did an experiment injecting kalkwasser (Seachem) paste into the biggest aiptasia (3 inch diameter when expand). It swallow the lump and collapse into a small blob with white lines coming out. I couldn't see it as it squirm back into the hole.

I smile. So satisfied. Perfectly executed.

This morning it is back in full glory!!!! Arrggghhh!

My Copperband Butterfly getting more brave venturing more than 20cm radius away from the corner of the tank. Will need it to start work fast.

• SRC Member

Looks like this Copperband Butterfly doesn't help at all. Not interested in Aiptasia. :(

This Butterfly looks like it is tank raised. It even take food like other fish! :unsure:

I have nuke the Aiptasia in the picture with kalkwasser 2 times it collapse and comes back up again.

The small ones does go away after nuking except for this stubborn one.

Any other method before I introduce Raccoon Butterfly.

post-21-1042719421.jpg

• SRC Member

Get a big glob of epoxy and plaster it over that thing making sure it can't get out. Leave the epoxy there and never open it. Works for me.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member

I used to hand catch platax teira from the beach....one time i chance upon one that is only .5mm in length!!.....so cute...anywayz he grew into a monster in just a month......ate everything....i even share my apples with that little critter.....anyway.....one day i decoded to put him in my reef tank....which funnily only hav 1 apitasia (which i fed quite regularly).....that crazy batfish ate up the anemone....but kena some scaring on his face...which cleared up in a day or two....SO.....u shld try them batfishy....use them & release them back into the wild...

ISLANWIDE Doorstep CO2 refill @ $42.00 (5L and below)sms 93638229 now!!!! For larger canisters do enquire:]

• SRC Member
I used to hand catch platax teira from the beach....one time i chance upon one that is only .5mm in length!!.....so cute...anywayz he grew into a monster in just a month......ate everything....i even share my apples with that little critter.....anyway.....one day i decoded to put him in my reef tank....which funnily only hav 1 apitasia (which i fed quite regularly).....that crazy batfish ate up the anemone....but kena some scaring on his face...which cleared up in a day or two....SO.....u shld try them batfishy....use them & release them back into the wild...

Yeah.. I remember when I was young (no reclamation yet that time). I used to catch clownfish, copperband butterfly and batfish off Changi beach. Those were the days. Now all have gone! :(

Batfish I thought they are picky eaters. Special diet?

I'll try Tanzy method with the epoxy.

• SRC Member

really jio u all try using platax teira....or orbicularis.....catch from beach eat all your apitasia then dump them back to sea... :rolleyes:

ISLANWIDE Doorstep CO2 refill @ $42.00 (5L and below)sms 93638229 now!!!! For larger canisters do enquire:]